• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Expensive season - just ordered impellers and riva housing

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Last year boat ran great, wet slipped, ran it almost every day, was great. This year has been very different.

I fixed my exhaust leak and issues related to marina owner commissioning it and not realizing the beeping noise was overheating caused by tstat corrosion, which ended up destroying a number of parts. (Long story, good guy, and established understanding of his lack of jet boat experience).

Fast forward, boats been out now a few weeks, and power has been down. When I first got the boat I got it up to 53, but over the season last year it never got that fast again, maybe 47 tops. This season 40 tops, then 30 with starboard shooting close to 8k port not crossing 6k, also takes forever to get to plain.

Checked impellers from cleanout port (after a nice struggle to get starboard one out) and wow, seems really bad! Could feel at least 3 or 4 1.5-3 cm chips in it. Port side maybe just 1 or 2 small 1cm chip. So ordered new oem impellers, bearings, and washers according to service manual. Housings were out of stock so I decided to splurge on the in stock riva ss housings (had them add in 2 ribbon deletes).

After reading a bunch of posts yesterday I think I want to check port coilpacks as well due to 6k max port rpm.

Hopefully parts will be in by Wednesday and I can get her running by next weekend. Since I have to take her out of water I’ll also be adding underwater lights, and transducer. Need to install cut off valve for in water flush if that comes in time I’ll do that too along with 2nd bildge I ordered from island 2 weeks ago.

Meanwhile in all this time I’ve also managed to add the jl tweeters, 10” sub, and new fusion 770 radio. Did a seadek install, 3rd battery, noco charger, noco battery indicators, noco outside plug, and bumper fender push in ss fasteners.

An expensive season for sure, but loving the boat, super easy to work on, and learning a lot. Looking forward to getting her back into the high 40’s - 50’s, and having the right systems in place to keep her better maintained in the wet slipped brackish water.

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s a vid of me struggling to get to 40. Just puller boat out of water and will start pulling impeller housing later today or tomorrow, parts in tues-thurs, and hopefully back in by Friday or Saturday.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely looks like time for new ones.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what are the riva housings, curious?

edit:
found it. the wear ring housing, I installed the precision marine unit with the replaceable ring. Mine got damaged when my Solas exploded. So far been working well, bought some extra rings, just to have. Looks like they selling them on Amazon now.

Last edited:

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
what are the riva housings, curious?

edit:
found it. the wear ring housing, I installed the precision marine unit with the replaceable ring. Mine got damaged when my Solas exploded. So far been working well, bought some extra rings, just to have. Looks like they selling them on Amazon now.
Had my Solas implode a few weeks ago as well. Went with a OEM wear ring housing at the moment, after replacing impeller. What is the Precision Marine one you mentioned?

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your port engine is cavitating and overloading the stbd which is why you're not seeing the same rpms or expected speed.
Hope the new parts fix the problem, but also check for missing sealant in and around the pump housing.