• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

F-150 XLT vibration at speed

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I figure there has to be some other dudes on here that own a Ford F-150 and maybe have experienced this. This just started about 2 Months ago. When I get my truck (2020 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4) up to 70-80 mph I get a vibration in the seats that is crazy. I can see the passenger seat vibrating back and forth. It's not in the steering wheel. I'm having the tires balanced tomorrow, but from what I have watched and read online this will not solve the problem. Anyone else on here have this happen?

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I figure there has to be some other dudes on here that own a Ford F-150 and maybe have experienced this. This just started about 2 Months ago. When I get my truck (2020 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4) up to 70-80 mph I get a vibration in the seats that is crazy. I can see the passenger seat vibrating back and forth. It's not in the steering wheel. I'm having the tires balanced tomorrow, but from what I have watched and read online this will not solve the problem. Anyone else on here have this happen?
yes my 2018 did that after getting new tires. 78 mph is where it peaked, could also feel it at 45ish but much less strong. Exactly as you described. Not in the wheel, shaking passenger seat rattling the zippers on my laptop bag. I went back to discount tire three times for remounting and rebalancing and they eventually replaced one tire, they had it isolated to the right rear. It’s greatly reduced now but still does it just a bit. If yours just started one day my first guess would be it threw off the wheel weights.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me guess Goodyear tires? My factory Goodyears have never balanced and most I’ve seen on other F150s wear unevenly as well.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How many miles?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$5 says it's the tires.

My Sierra had the dreaded "Chevy Shake" that is often talked about online. I tried probably 5-10 different things to get it remedied. Ended up spending a half day at the local Big-O tire shop with an experienced tech and a Hunter 6000 road force balance machine. He was able to get the wheel/tire combo from ~50-65lbf of imbalance to down within ~10-12lbf of imbalance. 2 of the 4 had to be dismounted and "clocked" on the wheel to get them both round and closer to static balance. Once he get them well balanced, we placed the two highest force imbalance on the SAME SIDE of the truck. The idea being that you don't them to be on opposite corners, or on the same axle as that will lead to a "twisting force" on the chassis that could potentially amplify the effects.

Once all that was done (Like $250 in labor/parts) the truck rode as smooth as butter. Ever since I've taken every vehicle and every set of tires to that same guy, and asked for the same process. It's expensive and time consuming, but my vehicles don't shake anymore........Even had them do the same thing to the new radials I put on the boat trailer last year. Worth the cash for the smoothness IMO.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m at the shop now waiting on a balance and rotate. If this doesn’t fix it I’m taking it to Ford. Only 34k miles on this truck. OEM tires.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had it happen to my 2017 Ford F-150. Goodyear Tires. They wore a bit uneven after 1.5 years. Took it back to the dealer, bitched a fit, they put 4 new tires on it and balanced. Road smooth as butter till I turned it in in 2020.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
the local Big-O tire shop with an experienced tech and a Hunter 6000 road force balance machine.
Can't say i've been lucky enough (yet) to experience a shake in my F150 (either the 2018 or now 2021) and i usually am between 70-80 when on the freeway not towing. Don't think i've towed at 70 though, usually 55-65 and only then rarely. Sounds like Big-O has a nice solution for balancing though!

Side note - I dunno why, but the first thing I thought of when I read this was the "Hewlett-Packard 5710-A dual-column gas chromatograph with flame analyzation detectors".. 🤪
1656515137091.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't say i've been lucky enough (yet) to experience a shake in my F150 (either the 2018 or now 2021) and i usually am between 70-80 when on the freeway not towing. Don't think i've towed at 70 though, usually 55-65 and only then rarely. Sounds like Big-O has a nice solution for balancing though!

Side note - I dunno why, but the first thing I thought of when I read this was the "Hewlett-Packard 5710-A dual-column gas chromatograph with flame analyzation detectors".. 🤪
View attachment 181593
You'll love this then :D :D

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, Good news, it was the drivers side rear wheel. The weight had come completely off. The guy said it took a 4oz. weight to balance it out. Got up to 80mph right after and she drives smooth as butter. Sad part is now I don't even realize how fast I'm going. Caught my self at 80mph a couple times and thought I was going much slower. Crazy what a smooth ride makes in sensation.