• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fading paint- water spots?

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since i can’t go anywhere, I’ve been checking on my boat 2016 242- i store outside here in SoCal by my house. Noticed the past few days a white faded streak by the black bottom part of my hull
Tried hotsauce and waxing it, but still have this 3 foot faded street. Anyone know what it is? I’ve had the boat 4 years - bought brand new.

I wax the boat at least three times a year (And multiple washes and quick details) and the rest of the paint looks great. Here’s a pic. Any suggestions on cause and a fix are greatly appreciated

Attachments

• BF44BA7A-C908-4E73-BECE-28C0F4E9E6AB.jpeg
    BF44BA7A-C908-4E73-BECE-28C0F4E9E6AB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 7273B915-A7CD-48F2-B093-87C12B159D19.jpeg
    7273B915-A7CD-48F2-B093-87C12B159D19.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
Is it on both sides of the boat? Almost looks like sun fade. I wonder if sunlight is reflecting off your aluminum diamond plate on the trailer wheel covers? Do you park the trailer and boat in the same spot where it receives sun from the same direction every day?

I looks like a cut and buff would fix it.

Last edited:
It’s on the side facing the sun and the heat/reflection from the trailer wheel guards could be the issue. So a good buff may solve this - Thx for the advice.

That and dark pigments tend to be less UV resistant than white. Coloured hulls tend to fade faster, any reflected light will amplify the issue. It can easily be corrected with a buff and polish (buffing wheel, not by hand). Well weathered gel coat might need a rubbing compound but I wouldn't do that yet, as your hull is not very old.

Hopefully it will come out with a rotary buffer and an "oxidation cutting" compound. If not you may need to be more aggressive by wet sanding in circular motion with 3m 1000/2000 grit first then the buffer. I had to wet sand my 07's orange gelcoat to remove the oxidation before restoring the shine. It's not hard , just go easy until you get the feel of it.

Don't mind the dirty hull from the Summer slip, it cleans up nicely with Starbrite
20170430_102205.jpg

20170430_102323.jpg
You can see the oxidation is removed and the shine coming back even before buffing. With the reflection of the fender.

20170525_171920.jpg

Attachments

• 20170430_113638.jpg
    20170430_113638.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I see the WetorDry 2000 label, is that sandpaper or compound?
Thanks

I see the WetorDry 2000 label, is that sandpaper or compound?
Thanks

That is 3m 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper for wet sanding the oxidation off the gelcoat. I started with 1000, sanded it and then switched to 2000. The heavy cut "oxidation remover" buffing compound was not aggressive enough using a D/A polisher. I bought this kit from these guys three years ago. Porter Cable 7424xp Marine 31 Boat Oxidation Removal Kit . I have since added a rotary buffer, more agressive than a dual action buffer and have done both of my boats with this kit. Regular rubbing compound is not as good as a heavy cut oxidation compound. 3m also has a good cutting compound. 3M™ Perfect-It™ Gelcoat Heavy Cutting Compound | 3M United States I only had the D/A when I did the Yamaha. It was not cutting it, so that is why I wet sanded. I used a rotary polisher with a wool pad and compound on the Beneteau which will cut much better/quicker than a Dual Action with a foam pad. You work in small sections and keep the buffer moving.
My boats were 10 years and 28 years old and needed gelcoat restoration. Before you could wipe the gelcoat with your hand and come away with a white palm and fingers.

20190430_140806.jpg

Last edited:
Back