• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Failed Depth/Water Temp Transducer...

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey have any of you guys had your depth/temp transducer fail on your Yamaha's? Mine quits working when it's been on for more than 10 minutes or so, it gets a comm error and doesn't read temp or depth. It looks like they're about 300 dollars, if it wasn't for the comm error constantly going off I'd just use the temp and depth in my Simrad and not replace the stock Yamaha/Airmar sensor.

Has anyone replace theirs with anything other than the Airmar unit? Has anyone figured out how to make it think there's a working transducer on the data line so it doesn't show the comm error constantly?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought I read another post about someone having a defective one that was replaced under warranty.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well there goes $300. Dammit!

I probably could have wasted a week or so dealing with the closest Yamaha boat dealer which is like 80 miles away to try to get it covered. Chances are they'd find a reason to deny the claim and I'd be back to just replacing it myself. So I skipped the hassle and just ordered a new one just now.

I did find out something cool though. I have a Simrad Go9. The Simrad can't read any of the NMEA2000 data, but I figured the Connext probably could read the Simrad data. It did. The Yamaha Connext screen will show the depth and temp coming off my Simrad transducer. It turns off the comm error also. There's two reasons why I didn't just leave that solution in place though. You have to have the Simrad on for it to read, and where I have my transducer, it won't read depth at speed. It's nice to see depth at speed obviously, so I figured I might as well fix the Yamaha system.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so my Watertemp sensor failed also. can you please explain how you connected Simrad to Context? any wire splicing?

thanks!