• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fair price for a ‘17 SV195 with 600 hours?

Bajabugger92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello, this is my first post here. I’ve been searching for the past month for a used 19’ Yamaha as my first boat and stumbled across a guy selling his 2017 SV195 for a very reasonable price which got me excited because the asking prices around me have typically been absurd!

when I asked him about the hours he said 600!!!(Rental maybe?) That is by FAR the most hours I’ve EVER seen on a boat for sale.

I wanted to get the forums opinion on what a good price for this boat is or whether that engine has lived too much life and I should walk away.

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello, this is my first post here. I’ve been searching for the past month for a used 19’ Yamaha as my first boat and stumbled across a guy selling his 2017 SV195 for a very reasonable price which got me excited because the asking prices around me have typically been absurd!

when I asked him about the hours he said 600!!!(Rental maybe?) That is by FAR the most hours I’ve EVER seen on a boat for sale.

I wanted to get the forums opinion on what a good price for this boat is or whether that engine has lived too much life and I should walk away.
Are you out in SOCAL as your screen name applies? 600 Hrs is alot for a '17, but these motors are very reliable, we have a '18 SX195 and get out once or twice a week and only have 90+/- hrs on the boat. What is the asking price? Here is what NADA quotes, but this yr demand has been very high due to the 'Rona and all, so those numbers could be low, with the supply being low and demand being high. Is it used in saltwater? Make sure the owner flushed regular and hopefully after every use. Check the oil, make sure it is a solid color with no streaks of white in it. take a look through the 190/195 forums lots of buying advice and stories that will help. Check out the classified section here, see if any local folks have one for sale, if you are in FLA we currently have ours up for sale :winkingthumbsup" and it is listed there. Good Luck and :Welcome:

Bajabugger92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Are you out in SOCAL as your screen name applies? 600 Hrs is alot for a '17, but these motors are very reliable, we have a '18 SX195 and get out once or twice a week and only have 90+/- hrs on the boat. What is the asking price? Here is what NADA quotes, but this yr demand has been very high due to the 'Rona and all, so those numbers could be low, with the supply being low and demand being high. Is it used in saltwater? Make sure the owner flushed regular and hopefully after every use. Check the oil, make sure it is a solid color with no streaks of white in it. take a look through the 190/195 forums lots of buying advice and stories that will help. Check out the classified section here, see if any local folks have one for sale, if you are in FLA we currently have ours up for sale :winkingthumbsup" and it is listed there. Good Luck and :Welcome:
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have not seen it in person but I will do those checks once I do. Although I'm new to boats, I am mechanically inclined, I do my own car repairs i.e. engine swaps, top-end rebuilds, etc. I've seen folks on here mention getting their yamaha engine rebuilt. My question is: what are the signs that an engine is about due for a rebuild? Are there rebuilt longblocks for these supercharged 1.8's available online? (I have seen N/A blocks for sale but none for the SC variant) or would I have to take it to a dealer.

Yes, I'm located in So-cal. His asking price is 21K, and the demand must still be high because there are many people in my area asking retail for their 4 year old yamaha. It seems that the asking prices out on your side of the country are much better.😢

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Yamaha rebuilds typically come from failed timing chains. They updated the timing chain and related assembly components in 2016 so you should be fine there.

One thing I would double check on is to make sure you can register the boat because Cali does not allow the supercharged boats to be sold there due to emissions. It’s possible the previous owner bought the boat out of state and then somehow got it registered in Cali but just double check on that before going too deep.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone know the engine build date when the upgraded chains were officially being used? Did all 2016 1.8s get the upgraded chain?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know the engine build date when the upgraded chains were officially being used? Did all 2016 1.8s get the upgraded chain?
7/2015 and prior build date on the engine it was thought to not have the upgraded components. Nothing official from Yamaha but this was the date mentioned on here.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
7/2015 and prior build date on the engine it was thought to not have the upgraded components. Nothing official from Yamaha but this was the date mentioned on here.
Or, possibly the ones with 7/2015 and up stamped on the engine have the new TC.

--

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

@Bajabugger92 ..... in my opinion, 600 hours is a quite a bit of time for a 2017. Lots of good advice already given. With 600 hours of use on a marine engine I would definitely want to see maintenance records. You sound like you know your way around engines so that is good as you should "smell" it if something seems off. With your ability if there were no comprehensive service/maintenance records available I'd pull the plugs and do a compression test. Good Luck. :cool:

Bajabugger92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Lots of good information, thanks guys.

@haknslash you’re right, it seems that most people on here talking about engine rebuilds here are the pre-2016 timing chain issues. I know the S/C boats cannot be sold new by CA dealers but have seen people with CA registered 192’s. I will check if it’s that’s the case with 195’s.

@Canuckjetboater When I go to inspect the boat I will ask him about the maintenance history, run the engine and check the vitals hopefully everything checks out.

The boat definitely looks like it has been well used, carpet gone etc. but nothing a little TLC can’t fix. If I can get him to bring the price down close to the mid teens I feel like I’ll feel comfortable with the deal.