• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Falling soundproofing foam in engine hatch - fixed

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The soundproofing foam in my engine hatch fell off at about the 8 hour mark. My original dealer "fixed" it and it fell off again at the 9.5 hour mark. My local dealer took a stab at it, but it didn't last either. They said that Yamaha knows about the problem but doesn't have a fix, and they suggested taking it out of the boat because they didn't want it to fall off into the engine bay while the motors were running.
It took me about a half hour to mount 9 feet of winch strap (like seat belt strap) to the 6 existing seat bolts using a stainless washer and a stainless nylock nut. I used a single piece. I routed it from bolt to bolt, and poked a hole in it at each bolt location. The strap gives lots of support without any major pressure points, and when the glue fails, it will stay in place.
upload_2016-3-29_15-54-19.png

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The soundproofing foam in my engine hatch fell off at about the 8 hour mark. My original dealer "fixed" it and it fell off again at the 9.5 hour mark. My local dealer took a stab at it, but it didn't last either. They said that Yamaha knows about the problem but doesn't have a fix, and they suggested taking it out of the boat because they didn't want it to fall off into the engine bay while the motors were running.
It took me about a half hour to mount 9 feet of winch strap (like seat belt strap) to the 6 existing seat bolts using a stainless washer and a stainless nylock nut. I used a single piece. I routed it from bolt to bolt, and poked a hole in it at each bolt location. The strap gives lots of support without any major pressure points, and when the glue fails, it will stay in place.
View attachment 34979
Makes you wonder what they're using for glue now. Previous years didn't seem to have a glue failure issue.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My local dealer (who seems competent relative to Marineland in Waco TX, but the bar's set low, real low) said that they've worked on the issue. They've used "real strong" glue, that holds, but the foam ends up ripping away, so they end up with glue stuck to foam on one side and torn foam on the other side. They think that the foam wants to be "flat" and it eventually wins. I initially suggested that they use big washers off of the seat bolts, but they said that it creates stress points and the foam eventually breaks down at these points. That's how I came up with the belt idea, because it will follow the contour of the hatch and spread out the pressure required to hold the foam in place. Yup, it's just like rocket science.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The original owner of my boat installed some aftermarket insulation in the engine compartment and it started coming loose last fall. I used Loctite Spray Adhesive to reattach it and have been very impressed with it so far.

Time will tell, but it has been holding up for about 4 months now. It also works great for reattaching carpet inside the compartments.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a good point @MrMoose. It is likely that the glue is stronger than the foam. I like the belt idea for a permanent fix... and now I get to have the "I told you I would use this for something" moment with my wife. She was very skeptical when I saved the strap from an old winch.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good point @MrMoose. It is likely that the glue is stronger than the foam. I like the belt idea for a permanent fix... and now I get to have the "I told you I would use this for something" moment with my wife. She was very skeptical when I saved the strap from an old winch.
Slow clap. Well done @Bill D

MIKEP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3M spray 90 adhesive. Best stuff. Works great and you will never have to do it again

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3M spray 90 adhesive. Best stuff. Works great and you will never have to do it again
Gonna give this stuff a shot tomorrow

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used Dynomat all over the inside of my 2nd Cummins powered Ram. Quieted the clatter but did nothing for the drone. I might try some if the foam departs my engine well.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The original owner of my boat installed some aftermarket insulation in the engine compartment and it started coming loose last fall. I used Loctite Spray Adhesive to reattach it and have been very impressed with it so far.

Time will tell, but it has been holding up for about 4 months now. It also works great for reattaching carpet inside the compartments.
I know it's been a while..... Hows that Loctite Professional holding up? Thanks. Ray