• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Family has close call with Rattlesnake on Fontana Lake NC.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple of weeks ago I walked out to our boat house around 9:30PM just to check on things. I had a flashlight and while I was walking up to the boat.... whoaaa! A big snake on the deck of the boat house, wrapped around the piling where we lower the boat. Scared the crap out of me.

It looked like a big cottonmouth, but then I noticed he did not have a large diamond head. I used a boat hook to unwrap him from the piling and then slung him into the water (he did not want to go). It was about 1 1/2" thick and about 4' long. I later identified him as a diamond back water snake, which is common in Texas and non venomous. They are often confused with the cottonmouth.

I didn't have my camera to take a pic, so you'll need to take my word for it!

-Greg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya know just the other weekend I was laying on the lower sim deck soaking in the sun. Almost dozed off it was so nice and relaxing. Then I began to think about a big cottonmouth swimming up while I was asleep and being so low to the water it would be no problem for one to climb aboard. So yea...I didn't get any sleep on the lower deck :D

A few years ago while @Bill D @blacksapphirez and I were out on Bill's boat surfing we left my boat and Jin's boat anchored in a cove with Bill and Jin's wives swimming. When we came back both women were in each boat flagging us over. Bill' s wife saw the snake swim in between the boats while they were swimming near the stern. It ended up trying to get on my bungee dock line lol. I think it's a cottonmouth but not sure. Any snake is a dead snake if near me!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hard to tell for sure unless you see the head and belly better, but from the pic, it sure does look like a cottonmouth.

They are elusive. Up where we are there's a guy nearby that is a snake expert and he says in the 15 years he's lived on Livingston, he's seen hundreds of diamondback water snakes and other varieties, but only single cottonmouth.

-Greg