• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Faulty Clean-Out Hatch Switch

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So, when I was flushing the boat after the first run last weekend, I already had the clean-out hatch open from taking the plugs out. When I started the Starboard engine, it ran fine, when I went to start the Port engine, it wouldn't start. I quickly said, duh, the clean-out hatch is open. Then I realized that it was open the whole time that I flushed the Starboard engine. I closed the hatch, fired up the starboard engine (no water) and it ran, but when I opened the hatch, it kept running, so clearly it's not doing what's it's supposed to do.

Has anyone documented replacing these, or it's so easy that I should be able to figure it out once I'm in there?

Thanks
upload_2016-6-7_13-2-5.png

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's possible that your issue is further down the line. Possibly a bad ground or wire elsewhere. Before you spend $, You could pinpoint the switch easily by swapping the plugs on the wiring harnesses. If the problem swaps to the other engine, it's the switch. Keep in mind that the left switch doesn't necessarily control the left engine, etc. On my 21' boat, there's an inspection hatch that lifts out and I can reach inside and reach the electrical connections for the switches.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow!! $100. for that switch ???, I think I would try to outsource it to a different switch

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's possible that your issue is further down the line. Possibly a bad ground or wire elsewhere. Before you spend $, You could pinpoint the switch easily by swapping the plugs on the wiring harnesses. If the problem swaps to the other engine, it's the switch. Keep in mind that the left switch doesn't necessarily control the left engine, etc. On my 21' boat, there's an inspection hatch that lifts out and I can reach inside and reach the electrical connections for the switches.
Thanks @itsdgm. I'll try flipping the switches first and see what that does.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @itsdgm. I'll try flipping the switches first and see what that does.
Something else to check for. I recall somebody a few years back having issues with the cleanout switches. they found their wires leading to the switches resting on the exhaust system and had melted through the insulation causing a short. So feel around in there and check for that too. Also, I think you might have to remove the cleanout tray on yours to get in there. Shouldn't be too hard.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Something else to check for. I recall somebody a few years back having issues with the cleanout switches. they found their wires leading to the switches resting on the exhaust system and had melted through the insulation causing a short. So feel around in there and check for that too. Also, I think you might have to remove the cleanout tray on yours to get in there. Shouldn't be too hard.
Thanks again @itsdgm

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Topper - what was the outcome of this? did you have to replace the switch?