• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fiberglass repair advice.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had some strong winds on the water today and got pushed into corner of concrete dock. Heard a crunch so I thought it was worse than it actually was. Any advice on repairs? I've used bondo fiberglass on my cars before but not sure if that'd work well here. Tearing the vinyl also complicates things.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is an easy one, I think.

First, the gelcoat in picture one is not even down to the fibers. You can probably wet sand that out. Get some 1200 and some 2000 wet sandpaper and some rubbing compound. Go gently with the first, then use the 2nd to get out the swirls of the first and then the rubbing to shine it up. Try to keep your repair area as small as possible.

Second, on the vinyl: I would not try to repair the gelcoat there at all. Get some black and blue electrical tape. Put a little hunk of blue, then a hunk of black on top of it. It won't perfectly match, but at 20 feet no one will be able to tell.

On the third pic, I could not even see the defect if not on the silver part. There you might try to fill with caulk and then put a dab of silver auto touchup paint on it. Again, won't be a perfect match, but at 10 feet no one will tell.

Next time try to mess up your boat more so we can help more. :)