• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally got my 2014 AR192 out today. Have a couple problems...

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after unsuccessfully trying to get on the water on Saturday due to everyone else in the entire world having the same idea, we finally took out the boat we purchased back in February. I ran into a couple issues that maybe are related but maybe not:

Issue 1: My speedometer is not working accurately. It works but it's only at about half the actual speed according to a GPS speedo app.

Issue 2: Hole shots are awfully slow and top speed is low 40s. It feels like I'm dragging an anchor until I get up to speed, and even then it's less "peppy" than it ought to be. I basically have to pin it at 7000 rpm to get out of the hole. I'm not taking on any water and everything else seems okay(ish).

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So after unsuccessfully trying to get on the water on Saturday due to everyone else in the entire world having the same idea, we finally took out the boat we purchased back in February. I ran into a couple issues that maybe are related but maybe not:

Issue 1: My speedometer is not working accurately. It works but it's only at about half the actual speed according to a GPS speedo app.

Issue 2: Hole shots are awfully slow and top speed is low 40s. It feels like I'm dragging an anchor until I get up to speed, and even then it's less "peppy" than it ought to be. I basically have to pin it at 7000 rpm to get out of the hole. I'm not taking on any water and everything else seems okay(ish).
I'd check the pickup on the bottom near the intake. It's a little paddlewheel. Make sure it moves freely.

As far as hole shot, what is the load? How many people, coolers? Fuel tank full? Do you hear any impeller slipping or cavitation? These boats rev high

My 192 will get you to about 49 on the speedometer. Haven't verified with GPS yet. Had 4 adults and two kids, two coolers and Bimini was deployed this weekend. Got it up to about 45 at WOT.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Low 40s on the speedometer or on gps? Is the boat any slower now than it was in February? How old is the fuel? What was your top rpm? You should be able to get to around 7700rpm.

What's the condition of the oil and plugs? When were they last changed?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another thing to check in addition to what the guys above mentioned is the impeller condition. You should be able to do a decent inspection with a good flashlight looking through the jet intake and then the jet nozzle. The edges of the impeller should be straight and free of chips and the surface should be smooth and free of a lot of pitting. These won't feel like a jet ski out of the hole, but the boat should be able to jump on plane from zero to full throttle in about 3-4 seconds with a light load in the boat.

If the boat was winterized, I would be highly suspect of those spark plugs being fouled up with fogging oil.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It sounds like the cleanout plug may not be installed correctly. That is maybe it’s in the access port but not locked in place. I’ve forgotten to lock them in place before and my boat still got up to speed but it took a long time to do so.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies... this was with just 3 of us in the boat and we're all pretty light people. Of all the possibilities you guys have mentioned, the cleanout plug seems like the closest to the symptoms I'm seeing. Everything I've ever seen about that issues matches. It doesn't feel the same as the times I've had cavitation from a chipped impeller in my jetskis, but I'll take a closer look at the impeller when I can. I just gave it a quick visual inspection. I plan to change the plugs and the oil soon, so that will at least eliminate that variable.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Good luck. Last weekend me and the wife and the kid went out. My wife and daughter were in the boat and I was parking the truck, so my wife was just puttering around the no wake zone waiting for me. Decided to take it out of the no-wake zone get up on plane and cruise around for a minute while she waited for me to find a parking spot. Everything was fine then she stopped and waited for me. When she went to go again she had no thrust whatsoever. The plug had blown out. I went ahead and ordered some cobra easy locks. Just for peace of mind because my wife had to fiddle with the plug on her own with me on the phone trying to talk her through it.

If you're out on the lake sometime and are having problems, let me know. I'll be glad to try and help you out some. I've got about 4 weeks extra experience than you do, haha.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I may have figured out the problem...

Question: there's supposed to be a gasket on the clean out plug, isn't there?

I think mine may have gotten sucked trough the jet drive. When I picked up the boat a few months ago, I was inspecting the jet drive unit and noticed a big rubber gasket sort of hanging out of the exhaust port that looked really chewed up. I figured it was something that must have gotten sucked up in the intake and lodged in the opening and didn't think too much about it and tossed it.

I went over to look at the clean out port today and found the plug totally stuck in the port. No amount of pulling would get it out. After a bit of research, I think I can get it out of there, and I'm betting what I'll find is that there is no gasket on it once I pull it out.

That would explain every symptom I'm having, since the boat still ran, but was letting just enough air past the plug to make it run like garbage. Now to figure out where to order a gasket...

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I just picked up a ar192 as well. I had the same piece of silicon hanging out of my exhaust. Several posts on the forum about it and the consensus is that it was extra inside the exhaust. And it wouldn't make sense for it to go from the cleanout port to the exhaust.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If you clean out port is stuck in, that would mean that no water is getting past it. So I kind of don't think that's your problem. I lean more towards a chipped up impeller or bad spark plugs

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This! Look at this post
Yeah, that definitely looks familiar. Well, crap, that blows that theory...
If you clean out port is stuck in, that would mean that no water is getting past it. So I kind of don't think that's your problem. I lean more towards a chipped up impeller or bad spark plugs
Hmm, you might be right.

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having similar problems. Had injectors cleaned, new plugs, and oil change this past fall. This year it won't go above 6500 rpm in the water where it normally goes 7850 I think.
I pulled the impeller this evening hoping it was jacked up but it's not. Can't figure this out.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Make sure your reverse gate is raising all the way.

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll go check that now and the seal on the clean out. Going to pour water on top and see if it leaks

aaron jansen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
water sitting on the plug so the seal must be good. Reverse gate is on the ground. I forgot I took it apart tonight. Doesn't make sense with rpms and power being so weak

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm having similar problems. Had injectors cleaned, new plugs, and oil change this past fall. This year it won't go above 6500 rpm in the water where it normally goes 7850 I think.
I pulled the impeller this evening hoping it was jacked up but it's not. Can't figure this out.
Can you check the fuel pressure?

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
You should ask your own question in the general forum. Might get more attention there then in the model specific forum. Hopefully some other members can chime in there.