• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Finding Parts

Natepoppy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2005 yamaha AR230 high output jet boat. I'm finding it difficult to find a place for parts. Any suggestions?
Also having an issue with starting when cold. It takes 10-15 min to start when cold. Any help

glad to have you on board,

what parts are you looking for ?

cold - do you mean when the engine hasn't been running or the outside temps are cold ?

how old is the fuel ?
how long are you engaging the start for and how many cranking attempts in that 10-15 minutes ?

Just the engine is cold. I live in Hawaii so it's never cold outside. Fuel is fresh, I put fresh in evertime. I probably engage the starter for 30sec. With just a small 20sec wait in-between tries.
Just looking for oil filter and spark plugs right now but I'm guessing I will need to buy more.

Just the engine is cold. I live in Hawaii so it's never cold outside. Fuel is fresh, I put fresh in evertime. I probably engage the starter for 30sec. With just a small 20sec wait in-between tries.
Just looking for oil filter and spark plugs right now but I'm guessing I will need to buy more.
Adding @HawaiiBreeze as he may know some places around the islands, or an easy way to get parts imported to the islands.

you can buy aftermarket filter and oil, I run mobil one syn. oil and filter, there are many aftermarket replacements available

for your starting issue,

both engines or just one?

how long have you owned the boat ?
do you do your own maintenance?
do you know how many hours are on the engines?
how often do you go through 50 gallons of gas ?

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed ?
when was the last time you checked your oil level?

since after a few minutes it eventually starts I would tend to think it's not a cut off switch issue ( your safety lanyard and the swimdeck hatch switch both will cut the spark to the engine) you could easily double check this with a spark tester before you leave out, but both engine having the same problems leads me to think fuel or safety switch,

I would suspect you probably need a spark plug change, the MR1 motors are very sensitive to plugs and often solve a multitude of issues.

A good investment for you is a YDS tool, it allows you to read the engine computers for error codes, engine hours and real time data, it can be found on ebay for about $60 if I remember correctly.

Also, because our boats are big jetskis, the MR1 engine is a common ski engine so anyplace that knows skis should also be able to help you,

if you're not familiar with the cooling system I would suggest watching this video from our member buckbuck,

you can buy aftermarket filter and oil, I run mobil one syn. oil and filter, there are many aftermarket replacements available

for your starting issue,

both engines or just one?

how long have you owned the boat ?
do you do your own maintenance?
do you know how many hours are on the engines?
how often do you go through 50 gallons of gas ?

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed ?
when was the last time you checked your oil level?

since after a few minutes it eventually starts I would tend to think it's not a cut off switch issue ( your safety lanyard and the swimdeck hatch switch both will cut the spark to the engine) you could easily double check this with a spark tester before you leave out, but both engine having the same problems leads me to think fuel or safety switch,

I would suspect you probably need a spark plug change, the MR1 motors are very sensitive to plugs and often solve a multitude of issues.

A good investment for you is a YDS tool, it allows you to read the engine computers for error codes, engine hours and real time data, it can be found on ebay for about $60 if I remember correctly.

Also, because our boats are big jetskis, the MR1 engine is a common ski engine so anyplace that knows skis should also be able to help you,

if you're not familiar with the cooling system I would suggest watching this video from our member buckbuck,

I've only owned the boat since June 23. The guy I bought it from told me he changed the oil every season along with the spark plugs. I've checked the oil. Both engines do the same thing.
If it was the switches that were the problem I don't think the engine would even turn over.
I would like to buy the oil filter and spark plugs from ebay, I just wanted to make sure I was ordering the correct ones.

your starting problems is not something we hear about often, 5-10 of cranking to finally get it to fire,

is it both engines ? I think so but you never confirmed that,

both engines is REALLY strange but at least it takes the ECU to the far back of the troubleshooting line, very strange both ECU would be bad,

I would make sure the oil level is proper and doesn't smell like gas at all,

there are 3 safety switches,
throttle in neutral - engine won't crank
safety lanyard - engines crank / doesn't spark
swim deck switch - one for each engine and even though it's only one switch the backside has one lead for no crank and one lead for no spark,

any of those can get sensitive and if not set properly can work /not work ( especially the swim deck hatch and safety lanyard)

next time out I would take a spark tester to see if your getting spark, if you are getting spark you don't have to worry about any of the safety switches and move on to fuel supply,

maybe it's loosing prime and takes some cranks to get the pump pumping ??
maybe spray some starting fluid in the intake to begin with and see if it fires,

I will try all that, thank you. What would happen if the oil level was low or high and smelt like gas?

Also the engine starts perfectly and runs all day once it has been started. Makes me think it can't be a switch, more of a gas problem or spark.

one of the issues with your year model boat is we've seen alot of ECU's go bad and leave a fuel injector open and it dumps so much fuel it back feeds into the oil, the sooner you catch this the less damage is done,

the other big issue we've seen alot is the cooling passages around the head can corrode and let water backfeed into the oil for "milky" oil,

I would suggest checking your oil on every trip, it's easy and a cheap insurance if you catch it early,

The safety switches can be finicky especially around salt water, maybe it's corroded enough that it's not working and after some vibration it works itself free ???

I'd check for spark first, if that's good I'd move on to fuel supply, maybe there's debris or water in the tank that settles at the pickup and has to get jostled to get a good fuel supply moving ??

also,
be sure to check your scupper valve, the one that drains the deck near the engine hatch, where it exits is below the water line and OEM was a plastic fitting that's been known to crack/break, it can sink you if it happens while your on the water,

Our FAQ at the top of the page has lots of DIY fixes, it's worth looking at,

Last edited:
So, after turning it over for a while, I did think I started to smell gas. Is the only fix for the ECU replacement?

so I wouldn't jump to bad ecu dumping fuel immediately,

You need to figure out if you've got spark, if you've got no spark, of course you're going to smell fuel if it's not firing,

and this being both engines, we've not seen both ecu's go out at the same time before,

Thanks so much for the information. I have work to do. I will get back after I try all these options

So I replaced the spark plugs and the engines fired right up dry docked. Haven't tried in the water yet. I noticed the starboard engine only clicked at first and didn't start. Might be a silinoid but not sure. Hopefully will start ok when I put it in the water.

I replaced the sylinoid and the engine starts right up. Both engines start immediately now dry docked. Next is to put them in the water and make sure they do the same.

I replaced the sylinoid and the engine starts right up. Both engines start immediately now dry docked. Next is to put them in the water and make sure they do the same.
I would clean all the ground cables on the engines to the battery and be sure the pump liner is not going bad and causing friction on the impeller after the boat sits a few days This is from dissimilar metal corrosion under the liner. I have seen it become very difficult to spin the engine and on some occasions even lock the engine up. A warning sign is the loud ringing of the pump or pumps when running on the trailer . Also look in the pump and see if you can find any places where the impeller is making contact with the liner usually leaves dark spots as well I did a post years ago on how to do a bush fix for that if you can not locate a pump liner section I replace all my liners with the nylon type to eliminate the problem once it starts to happen .

Last edited:
Back