• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fine Metal Shavings on Dipstick After 10 Hour Break-In Service

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do the 1.8L motors have a similar drain plug at the bottom of the motor to get all the oil out like the MR1 has?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would suck some oil out before the dealer gets the boat and send it to Blackstone labs so you get an independent analysis,

But i don't really trust a dealership
Best advice.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suck some oil out before the dealer gets the boat and send it to Blackstone labs so you get an independent analysis,

But i don't really trust a dealership
Best advice.
I agree with both, if just to be on the safe side.
With that being said, there are a few things I noticed about your pictures.
Firstly, there's not much in an engine that will fail and leave chips that look like the ones in your pictures in my experience. More on that later....

Secondly, there looks to also be a bit of soft black "gunk" in with the bits of metal.

Thirdly, the bits look to be localized to the left shoulder of the dipstick; at least they do in that one picture.

So, to address point 1, normally when an engine is failing, and you catch it early enough to have no symptoms or abnormal noises, the kind of metal bits in the oil are EXTREMELY fine and look more like the visual equivalent of brain matter swirling around in the oil. Think bits of metal the size of the bits of metal in a newer car's metallic paint (not as big as 60's and 70's over the top metal flake or bassboat metal flake). The bits in your pictures look like drill or thread tapping chips.

At the end of the day, I think the the size of the chips, the black gunk and the knowledge of the oil extraction devices used to change the oil and the sharpness of the edge of the dipstick itself leads me to think that 1: The dipstick tube may have been contaminated by an extractor wand that wasn't wiped down well (source of black gunk and maybe also chips) 2: The burr on the edge of the dipstick may be scraping the inside of the tube and/or inside of block ( determination would be if the bits were magnetic or not). This does not explain the source of the black gunk. Or 3. Combination of 1 and 2.

Either way, I would get the oil tested by an independent facility such as #Scottintexas mentioned before I let the dealer get their hands on it again.

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate the photos and lend your advice everyone. I haven't heard back from the dealer, frankly I don't trust them anyways. I'm going to do an oil change myself and then send out a sample to be tested. I'll cut apart the oil filter too and have a look at that. Crossing my fingers it's residue from the dipstick scraping the tube or gunk from the dealers extractor!

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate the photos and lend your advice everyone. I haven't heard back from the dealer, frankly I don't trust them anyways. I'm going to do an oil change myself and then send out a sample to be tested. I'll cut apart the oil filter too and have a look at that. Crossing my fingers it's residue from the dipstick scraping the tube or gunk from the dealers extractor!
what was the result of the report of oil test ? and have you been running ok so far ?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
2019 Yamaha AR190 with 11 hours on the engine. I took the boat in for its 10 hour break-in service (includes oil and oil filter change). I checked the dipstick immediately after the service and noticed nothing peculiar. Then I ran the boat for 20 minutes, checked the dipstick again and I noticed something I have never seen before on any dipstick...fine metal shavings embedded in the oil. You have to look close, but they're indeed there at the very top of the dipstick. I put the dipstick in and out 15 times (wiping it off each time) and each time there was a little bit of metal shavings on the end of the dipstick.

Is this something to be alarmed about or is this normal? Your input is appreciated!
@Seattle-Wind .....not normal.....have dealer change oil AND filter as the filter could be the culprit) run it hot then check. DO NOT run this engine again until the oil AND filter have been changed!!!!! :cool:

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i honestly think this could be coming from the dipstick .. its not plastic i dont know what material it is but seems to be issue ...

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The oil report showed that lead stood out as the dominant metal, but they said at 8 ppm it wasn't enough to be concerned about. There were no other red flags on the oil test. I've put 50 hours on the engine since I changed the oil and oil filter myself and haven't had any issues in terms of reliability. Occasionally there does still appear to be a little bit of metal on the tip of the dipstick when I check it, perhaps it is coming from the dipstick itself.

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really would like to know the material the dipstick tube is made from... The friction from suction tube from oil changes might be freying the inside . .. anyhow your tried and true test would be get a grinder and slice open the filter media spread out and examine .