• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fins on 2019+ AR195?

Do you have steering fins on your 2019 and up 190/195?

• Fins

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No Fins

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Brussmat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello!

I recently purchased a new 2019 AR195 and am debating on whether to add Cobra fins over the winter so it’s ready for the season, or to give it a go without them the first season.

Curious how many of you own a 2019 and up 19 foot, and either operate with or without fins. With the redesign and change in the rudder, is it really necessary? I obviously don’t know the difference in feel with them vs without them yet. Operate mostly on calm lakes or in a pretty smooth river close by.

This is my first jet boat, but had many other boats/waverunners.

Appreciate any feedback and guidance! Apologies if this has already been posted.

Last edited:

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure you'd get a few different opinions on this but I'm happy to give you mine. I ran my boat for about 10 hours before installing the Cobra fins because I wanted to get a baseline to determine my preference. It is certainly manageable in stock form. Coming from the out-drive configuration boats, there definitely is a bit of a learning curve but certainly not an issue...just different. The biggest difference I noticed after installing the Cobra fins was how quickly the boat responded to turning at low speed. I really liked that difference. I also saw a difference at higher speeds on how it felt to "bite" into the turns much more than without the fins. I think, however, that this is more of a decision based on what you may be wanting for a feel and don't think it is really a problem without...depends on personal preference which is why I would recommend running stock for a bit to make your own decision based on the feel you're going for. Having said that, you won't be disappointed with the Cobra fins (my opinion) if you decide to go in that direction. I'm not trying to push Cobra over any other fins but Cobra fins are the only ones I've used so they are the only ones I can speak to. Good luck and enjoy the new boat.

Brussmat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure you'd get a few different opinions on this but I'm happy to give you mine. I ran my boat for about 10 hours before installing the Cobra fins because I wanted to get a baseline to determine my preference. It is certainly manageable in stock form. Coming from the out-drive configuration boats, there definitely is a bit of a learning curve but certainly not an issue...just different. The biggest difference I noticed after installing the Cobra fins was how quickly the boat responded to turning at low speed. I really liked that difference. I also saw a difference at higher speeds on how it felt to "bite" into the turns much more than without the fins. I think, however, that this is more of a decision based on what you may be wanting for a feel and don't think it is really a problem without...depends on personal preference which is why I would recommend running stock for a bit to make your own decision based on the feel you're going for. Having said that, you won't be disappointed with the Cobra fins (my opinion) if you decide to go in that direction. I'm not trying to push Cobra over any other fins but Cobra fins are the only ones I've used so they are the only ones I can speak to. Good luck and enjoy the new boat.
Thank you for this! This is exactly what I’m thinking of doing right now.... but hard not to just buy the cobra fins now and hold them since he’s got them marked down to $188 for the holiday.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He has a 30 day money back, no questions asked guarantee.

Coming from an I/O the jet took a little learning. Now that I have the hang of it, I love it. No fins currently, and am not 100% certain I need them.
I'm almost 80hrs over 3 seasons into my ownership of a '17 AR190. No fins yet, but everyone keeps telling me how great they are. I'm going to pickup a set of the vipers in the spring and give them a try. If I don't like them I'll send 'em back. If they are that great, I'll be singing their praises here.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hello and congrats

I also have a AR 195 and I basically install Cobra Fins almost immediately due to having them on a different boat. On the 2019 AR 195, I agree with above. I will say that I personally feel in the recommended setting, it seems that it may have hurt the reverse handling just a little. When I raised the Fins, it helped in reverse but of course lost a tiny bit in forward. Just my 2 cents.

Brussmat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dshscarab this seems to be what I keep reading about losing some control in reverse. Appreciate the comments from everyone. It sounds like I should give it a few outings without them before ordering, so I at least get the feel without.

On another note, jet boat pilot has all their sea deck mats for 25% off! Just spent all the money I was going to use on a cobra fins and ordered all the “optional” pads for the boat!

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Get fins. I have JBP but totally worth it.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have jet boat pilot. Could not live with out them. Cobra vs jbp is just your preference.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just ordered a pair from JBP for my 2019 242X-E. Don’t know how they handle on this boat but I had Cobras that came on my previous 212SS and the boat handled and steered very well at low speeds. The reason I went with JBP is larger fins surface area, shape, extends lower, and I guess the blue color to match the boat : ) I can tell you I experienced a difference in handling between the two boats in maneuvering around the dock but I cant attribute this to fins vs no fins only (better steering in the 212SS case) as it could also be the bigger boat is heavier or it’s just a new boat to me and I’m getting used to (only had a chance to use it twice before season was over). I’d recommend fins if you ask my openion as it seems the benefits outweigh the cons if there were any (i.e reverse concerns is what I’m hearing from others).

I plan to use the boat some more next season before installing them so I can have a good baseline comparison.

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just a thought I had, I am thinking of cutting the back side of my Cobra fins to allow for the side thrust on the MY2019. This way, I can keep the fins set at the recommended level and it should help the reverse thrust which is compromised at the recommended level.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a thought. Long time Yamaha owner. FIrst boat never had 'em; didn't see need for them as boat handled like a dream. My 8 year old could dock it, but it was a 19 foot LS2000. Moved up to an SX230, which came with fins attached. Tried it for a trip, just to see what all the buzz was. Then one fell off, so I just took 'em off. DIdn't notice a difference wither way so I chucked 'em. Just my two cents. Remember, no thrust? No control. Thrust? Control.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR 195. I bought them but never actually put them on. I have gotten to a point where typically I am the only one behind the wheel and I must admit like the others there was a bit of a learning curve but after one season I feel I have the hang of it without the fins. I guess one advantage of the fins would be if you had people that were not familiar with jet boats piloting your rig that could be a benefit but all in all for what we use the boat for I don’t think they are necessary. I think when you are cruising along at about 4 and 5 mph it could definitely help track the boat straight but I’m used to it and don’t have to turn the wheel from side to side too much anymore at slow speed’s either.

at the end of the day it seems it’s just personal preference and everyone’s individual use needs.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Here is my review that I wrote. I have a 2019 SX190.

I wanted to take a few minutes to talk a little about my new addition... Cobra Jet Steering. First and foremost I need to mention that Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is the man! His customer service and response to all of my questions and concerns are second to none. I can’t say enough about Jeff and how pleased that I am that I decided to go with his product.

I have a 2019 SX190 and although I feel that I have really gotten to a point with the boat that my docking, loading and unloading skills are very good except for days when the current is strong, there was still the issue of the low speed (no wake) control. Here in Charleston boating is a little bit different than most places. A lot of no wake areas and the tide and current are something that really takes some getting used to. So along with the no wake slow speed control there is the issue of the current at the ramp at times trying to load the boat on the trailer. I have seen some very experienced operators with outboards and I/O’s struggle getting the boat on the trailer with the current. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes the current can’t be seen. Total disclosure... I have had some issues getting the boat back on the trailer, but that is a thing of the past now.

I installed the Cobra Jet Steering two Friday’s ago and took it out last weekend for the first time. All I can say is amazing!!! What a difference. Slow Speed control is unbelievable, now she stays straight and no turning the wheel back and forth to keep it in a straight line. It improves the handling at all speeds which is something I truly did not expect. Now for the best part.... loading it on the trailer... simply put “ holy crap” what a difference. Put it in No Wake Mode # 2 and put it on the trailer with no issues no matter the current. I watched several boats this past Saturday get sideways due to the strong under current and I was completely straight and not one issue. I looked like a pro... lol, even though I’m far from it.

If any of you were are on the fence about purchasing the CJS from Jeff, all I can say is
“DO IT” you won’t regret it. And oh yea... the install is a breeze. Jeff makes it super easy and is there for you if you have any questions. If any of you guys have any questions on it please let me know. I would be happy to answer them.

THANKS JEFF!!!

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, I have the Vipers on my 2018 AR190 and love them. I just ordered Jeff's new top fangs and can't wait to try them in about 6 months...ugh. Jeff is great to deal with as well.

09kawi438

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am picking up my new boat in week and half to 2weeks the dealer going to start prepping it. They are adding the jet boat vector for vins. I never owned a boar so I figured if they are going to add them take them. Being a new boater at low speeds