• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First boat! 2020 212x any tips are appreciated

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
1) No thrust, no steering
2) If you lose sight of someone in the water, SHUT DOWN until you locate them again.
3) Never come at a dock any faster than you want to hit it
4) Practice, practice, practice
5) Have fun, YOU OWN A BOAT!

WISE WORDS! Also practice slow driving as if your going to dock in a marina. Cobra fins (of another product) can helpful in this area.
This is where your nerves will be tested. Enjoy your new jetboat!

Yamahaboat89

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
1) No thrust, no steering
2) If you lose sight of someone in the water, SHUT DOWN until you locate them again.
3) Never come at a dock any faster than you want to hit it
4) Practice, practice, practice
5) Have fun, YOU OWN A BOAT!

WISE WORDS! Also practice slow driving as if your going to dock in a marina. Cobra fins (of another product) can helpful in this area.
This is where your nerves will be tested. Enjoy your new jetboat!
I just got cobra jet fins in today about to install them now

Yamahaboat89

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Docking with a jet boat is a lot like landing an airplane... it's just a very controlled crash.
😂 I’m hoping the cobra jet steering helps me with that but I 100% agree with that statement lol

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good seeing you out there last weekend! If you have any questions or need any help let me know!20190726_145620.jpg

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice! Welcome!

Curious, how do you go from never having a boat to spending ~$50k on a new boat?
I did pretty much the same thing. We both grew up around boats but our 2020 AR240 is our first. Basically boiled down to having a piece or mind that as a new boat it *should* be very reliable, no surprise mechanical issues ruining a day on the water or the wallet, reliable/safety with little ones on board, getting all(most) the things we wanted On our boat, and most importantly the time savings on not spending my weekends fixing things and enjoying my time with the family.

But to the original post, trailer guides are the best $90 I’ve spent so far, especially loading pretty much solo. I’m adding some tower speakers, my factory system is weak and don’t have swim deck speakers, and I don’t want to drill holes for them just yet. I bought a generic cover, I didn’t want the boat in the Florida elements, $200 from West marine. I love it so far, we will see how it holds up. I would practice reverse steering and using differential thrust to turn the boat in low speed/docking/loading situations, it’s nice being able get the bow and stern right where you want it and straight, especially if got a nice crosswind trying to get it on the trailer.
And yes the first scratch is painful, got the graphics a little torn up on a shitty dock, been 2 weeks and I’m still angry about it.

Yamahaboat89

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Cobra jet install is done! now just waiting to see how much that slow speed steering is improved once I get back out on the waterCEB69DF8-822B-4E3E-8E79-F5FF847E9609.jpeg8B5C265D-96B0-4F83-B4A5-E6CAAECBCE52.jpeg

Yamahaboat89

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome! We also just bought our first boat (2020 AR210), first mods I would recommend is the bow roller, and since you're new to boating like me, trailer post guide-ons are super helpful. Low speed steering will be very challenging, so you'll want to get the Cobra Jet fins. The trailer jack broke on me after 3 uses (you have the same one), so plan on replacing that someday. See the links in my signature below, all of the parts I have will be identical for your 21ft twin engine boat. Let me know if you have any questions!
Your install video helped a lot thanks for posting that man

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yamahaboat89

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I noticed your "fangs" are in the inside - was that in the direction you received? Mine are on the outside.
There website said mount to inner surface so I just slapped them on the inside95BEB944-9A7A-4941-8521-3621F3B496EF.png098B3D8A-02AB-47C4-B4CA-7EDDFD356056.png

Top Bottom