• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat trip... Lake of the Ozarks bound!

USN_Snipe4Life

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we had already planned to take next week off but couldn't decide on where to go.. Then we found a nice AirBnB at Lake of the Ozarks.

Well, now that turned into an Airbnb on the lake with a private dock for the boat.

This will be our first time hauling this boat for an 8 hour drive. I've pulled a 4 place snowmobile trailer with our Suburban with ease. Although, there aren't many hills to climb when we go. Were coming from Northen IL and will be taking 54 into the Ozark area..

We set out Monday morning.. any suggestions? And, any suggestions or recommendations for 3 young children to do (other than boating) in the area while were there? 20180602_142712.jpg

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, welcome to the forum @USN_Snipe4Life. From your screen name it sounds like I should be thanking you for your service.

You didn't mention the ages of your kids or if this is your first boat. If they are pretty young and this is your first boat I wouldn't complicate things with water sports or pull toys. Just being on the water and pulling up to beaches will keep you and them busy and interested. Maybe a fishing pole or two but don't forget...jets like to eat fishing lines and ropes.

If they are slightly older and can swim maybe floats to play on in shallow waters. Make sure they wear proper life jackets while under way. Have a great, safe vacation.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not a fan of Lake of the Ozarks. I grew up going LOTO . on the weekends it can get very rough. Where are you staying or what mile marker? There are still some go-kart tracks left and putt putt golf. Lots of restaurants on the water depending on where you stay. The state park has some good water for water sports.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And, any suggestions or recommendations for 3 young children to do (other than boating) in the area while were there?
Try not to get killed... Lots of large vessels throwing large wakes, lots of drinking. Not the best lake to get the kids started with watersports.
I would look for current information on more quiet places/times.
@LOZBum is a wealth of information, if he can chime in.

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
625143f1e46d5a2afbae63b0d3484554.jpg
Lots of runs there, official or not. Check the events for loto and stay away from them. It also looks like you will be there during the week so that will have less crowds.
https://www.lakeexpo.com/boating/poker_runs/

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are a lot of restaurants on the water with pools. Coconuts is a good one because they have a big main pool plus a kid pool area away from the main. The food is amazing if you go during the week the crowds are smaller don't let the major people photos on their Facebook scare you away you can tell from the water if they look busy or not on if you stop. Definitely weekends at the ozarks are just plain crazy. During the week you will see less boat traffic.

https://www.facebook.com/Coconuts-Caribbean-Beach-Bar-Grill-299598109818/

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@USN_Snipe4Life welcome and I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes. I rented a VRBO on LOTO with dock this coming July. We're also towing from N. Il, but last year we towed to Dale Hollow in Kentucky, and found towing a long way no big deal - though it eats up some fuel! I do carry spare wheel bearing grease, spare hub and made sure I had a lug wrench to fit the trailer wheel lugs ( my truck lug wrench doesn't fit). I make sure the tire pressure and grease hubs are all good before we go, and check the hubs for temperature at each stop.
My girls are grown, so haven't looked into things to do for younger children. Mine generally look for a brewery or distillery tour on rainy days when we vacation with the boat.
FYI - I was also a snipe, though many years ago, and USCG, not that floating hotels service! LOL Have fun!!

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
depends on what mile marker your staying at. Im up at the 55mm and the water is awesome 24/7, but anything below the 30mm it will be really rough on the weekends. Lots of restaurants on the water to boat to. HaHa tonka park you can also boat to. My kid likes big surf water park in osage beach. If you really want to be adventurous do a dam to dam run, approximately 100 miles. The lake does get narrow and shallow up around 65mm. A lot is going to depend on where you are at on the lake.

USN_Snipe4Life

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
depends on what mile marker your staying at. Im up at the 55mm and the water is awesome 24/7, but anything below the 30mm it will be really rough on the weekends. Lots of restaurants on the water to boat to. HaHa tonka park you can also boat to. My kid likes big surf water park in osage beach. If you really want to be adventurous do a dam to dam run, approximately 100 miles. The lake does get narrow and shallow up around 65mm. A lot is going to depend on where you are at on the lake.

Thanks! We are staying at a place on the downing branch cove. Near Four seasons. We are going to visit the caverns nearby and if we can swing it, we may hit Big surf.

USN_Snipe4Life

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, welcome to the forum @USN_Snipe4Life. From your screen name it sounds like I should be thanking you for your service.

You didn't mention the ages of your kids or if this is your first boat. If they are pretty young and this is your first boat I wouldn't complicate things with water sports or pull toys. Just being on the water and pulling up to beaches will keep you and them busy and interested. Maybe a fishing pole or two but don't forget...jets like to eat fishing lines and ropes.

If they are slightly older and can swim maybe floats to play on in shallow waters. Make sure they wear proper life jackets while under way. Have a great, safe vacation.
Thank you and it was an honor to serve in the Navy - we appreciate the support!

I'm very familiar with watersports and plan to bring a wake board and tube. This is our first Jetboat and I have a cousin with one who tells me the horror stories of "sucking up the rope".

The kids are 13, 7, and 7 (twins). Sorry, should have included that in the post.

This also wont be our first outing with this boat. We rent a slip walking distance from the house so we have been on it a lot over the past few weeks.

Are there decent places to beach the boat on Lake of the Ozarks?

Reactions: Gym

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good tips on towing above. From our 1700 mile experience, you will be fine. Tires at nearly max pressure 47-49lbs, lubed hubs. Set the Suburban in tow/haul mode and the cruise at 70. Seriously, cruise control with that 5.3ltr engine is a non issue.

I started with my instantaneous mileage up, and my tranny temp gauge up for the first couple hundred miles. On my 2018, the mileage was best right at 70, the hubs and tranny stayed cool. And I was at or near speed limit safely. I do believe mine has an 8 speed transmission, so it may be different. You will find the sweet spot on yours where it is not shifting constantly. Then feel free to use the cruise. You don't want it shifting constantly for sure.

Good luck!

PS: the GM tire iron, and bottle jack are more than adequate for our trailers. I was happy to have my impact wrench with, but final torque was done with the tire iron.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
plenty to do. boating by day, go carts for sure, mini golf by night for sure! Check out the ruins. (may be too hot for that, tons of walking) Take the boat (or car depending on what MM youre at) to bridal caverns.

monday-thursday, you will REALLY enjoy it. Friday to Sunday. meh. it'll get tiresome. Huge boats captained by douche-bags ignoring no wakes, overrunning smaller boats.

Never found it to be a deterrent to not go though. Just those days, we head as far away from the downtown Osage beach area as possible, find a cove, and relax.

enjoy!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Watch season 1 of ‘ozark’ on Netflix first.

(Anyone knowAirbnb’s cancellation policy?)

USN_Snipe4Life

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why would I cancel based off a fictional TV series and I'm certainly not laundering money for any Mexican cartels..

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wasn’t Ozark filmed in GA anyway?

USN_Snipe4Life

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Phew! We made it! The suburban pulled her with no issues. Beautiful area, were excited and ready to explore! Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions!

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad you got there without issues! We'll be there next month, and sounds like we're staying very close to where you are. We'll be at mm3 - would love to hear your thoughts on places to eat on the water near there, and coves for water sports etc.

Have fun!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Watch season 1 of ‘ozark’ on Netflix first.

(Anyone knowAirbnb’s cancellation policy?)

just stay away from the poppy fields.

Tlaux

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My kids are 6,9,10 and they absolutely love going to miner mikes, usually do it at night or if it rains, it's right across from the outlet malls. I know the following places have kid friendly pools, Coconuts, Redheads, and Dog Days, all 3 are great. Bear Bottom has 2 pretty long slides and a small pool. Frankie and Louies, Jolly Rogers, and Papa Chubby's have beach areas the kids can swim at. Frankie and Louies is my favorite of the three. A trampoline park was built last year, but I haven't taken them there yet. I can't get enough of the LOTO, spend almost every Weds-Sunday there during the summer. Hope you have a great time.

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Mile Marker 34.5.....Captian Rons has a beach, swim area, vollyball, adult drinks, good food and the kids love it.