• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looking into purchasing our first boat we are a family of 4 2 small kids. When we go out it will mostly be just us I want to be able to wake board and was thinking of going with a new Ar195 or a used Ar195 or AR192 this would be my first boat I really haven't driven many in my life either any help and info would be appreciated I'm located in Orange County NY if you have any dealer recommendations or used ones around here thank you in advance.
Patsy's Bay Marina is a fantastic choice for a new boat purchase.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/buying-experience-in-the-ny-metro-area.965/

That said: I would recommend getting the biggest boat you can tow/afford. They have a way of shrinking when they hit the water.

I am up in Sullivan County on Swinging Bridge Lake and would be happy to take you for a run on my 14' AR240 before I put her away for the season.

I'll be there from Fri-Monday.

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One other thing to consider is marina fuel is usually 89 octane and not 93 so you won't be able to get gas on the lake for a 195. You may want to verify that just to be sure.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will chime in!
I used to have an 190 and loved it. However I did spend inordinate amount of time and money to tune and mod it, granted it was the first MY (2012) w/no bells and whistles from factory. My one big issue with that boat was noise! I put $$$$$ 300lbs of sound deadening to make it okay, but it was still not exactly silent. So - do test drive as sound is a big factor - these boats are loud "cruising" at 6,000RPM.
As far as speed - the top speed is generally just overrated (when it come to a family sport boat), keep in mind many (or most) ski/wake boats will barely go 35mph top (top speed means nothing there).

However, the importance of thrust can not be overstated!

That's where the twins shine, but in the single/19' - that is also where the new 195s have the biggest advantage - due to the new 160mm pump (combined with the SVHO engine).

Maybe @SamCF can chime in - he has actually switched back and forth between the two pumps and would have first hand experience.

How important is thrust? Huge IMO. I was able to make my AR190 go 49mph at some point with a "high speed impeller setup" but would never use it for regular boating: when pushing top speed the low end will usually suffer (impeller pitch is different etc.). That's also one reason wake/ski boats are slow at WOT - they are propped for low end torque and pulling power, not top speed. At the end, with my 190 I settled for around 40mph top with epic thrust using L13 cones and a couple simple engine mods.

--

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I think the 190 or 195 would be a great boat for that size family. Being a first boat, I'm sure the performance of the 190 would be plenty.

It's a trade off of power vs fuel usage. If you want extra power and don't run more than 60 miles in a normal boating day, then the 195 would be the right choice. If you regularly travel long distances on the water, the 190 would be the better choice.

There is a restaurant across the lake from where we normally boat. We love going there, but don't very often because of the cost of fuel to get there.

Ballmiester

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the 190 or 195 would be a great boat for that size family. Being a first boat, I'm sure the performance of the 190 would be plenty.

It's a trade off of power vs fuel usage. If you want extra power and don't run more than 60 miles in a normal boating day, then the 195 would be the right choice. If you regularly travel long distances on the water, the 190 would be the better choice.

There is a restaurant across the lake from where we normally boat. We love going there, but don't very often because of the cost of fuel to get there.
Thank you the lake I would be on is only 7-9 miles long I believe so wouldn't be very long mileage wise in a day of boating I guess I will run by the dealers and see what's out there and what I can get better deals on with leftovers. If I went with a 190 other then the engine are the other options that come on the 195 worth it or is it stuff I could upgrade and would probably change anyway?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I went with a 190 other then the engine are the other options that come on the 195 worth it or is it stuff I could upgrade and would probably change anyway?
Probably best to make get his decision once you can compare both boats in person. The little details add up. Do you like or want a bow filler? Seadek is very nice to have on the swim platform versus without. For me it was worth it but if those things don't matter to you upfront then it's an easier decision for you.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We added Seadek in the 30% off group buy. Bought the bow filler that we use all the time from Babbits Yamaha for less than 250. Ill add some LED cupholders and USB charging terminals and call it a day.