• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Day Boating... Blown Fuse Help!

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First Day taking out our 2008 SX230. Everything was going great until we decided to inflate a tube using an air compressor going into the cigarette lighter. It took 3 seconds to blow a fuse and drain the battery! Lesson learned, don't use the starting battery for high power electronics.

The entire helm panel is out.

Found 2 places for fuses, the black round fuse location in the back of the engine compartment and an inline fuse going the positive battery terminal. The engine compartment fuse panel was missing some 3 amp fuses. Not sure if there are spare fuses in this location. The Battery fuse had a 10 amp fuse in it but the manual calls for 20 amps. That fuse was blown, hopefully that's the fuse for the helm.

Are there other fuse locations besides these two? Wondering if there's some hidden behind the helm that are not listed in the manual. Also, how do those rubber circuit breakers work under each switch on the helm?

We picked up a fresh starting battery, a deep cycle and a perko dual switch which I have yet to install.
Does anyone recommend using a group 27 for the second battery or stick with a group 24? I have to figure out how to secure the second battery box as well.

Welcome to boating life :)

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to the wiring diagram for my boat, there is supposed to be a circuit breaker next to the 12v outlet. I checked and indeed there is one there. Not sure why the helm isn't working unless they are all on that breaker. When you say the entire helm is out, are all the switches out? They are all daisy chained together for power and ground.

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to the wiring diagram for my boat, there is supposed to be a circuit breaker next to the 12v outlet. I checked and indeed there is one there. Not sure why the helm isn't working unless they are all on that breaker. When you say the entire helm is out, are all the switches out? They are all daisy chained together for power and ground.

Thanks Zonie for the reply. Yes, all the switches are out on the helm, blower, horn, lights etc. When you say there is a circuit breaker next to 12v outlet, are you talking about the rubber buttons under it that you push to reset, or is it in the wiring harness behind the helm? I did find a blown fuse between the battery switch and the positive battery cable that I haven't been able to swap that one out yet. Hopefully that's the problem.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fuse inline by the battery will probably fix your issues,

I use the cigarette lighter all the time to power my ballast pump and tube pump and never had it blow,

A bigger question is how does a blown fuse cause the battery to drain ?? that shouldn't happen,

Being a used boat I'd be cautious until your sure you understand the wiring system and that the previous owner didn't do something half assed,

Did you have to get towed in? how long between the fuse blowing and realizing the battery was dead?

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ScottiinTexas,

Once the fuse blew we luckily made it back to the dock (along with 8 unhappy passengers), then the boat wouldn't restart. Checked the battery and it was 7 years old. Guess I missed that one! I noticed that the blown fuse in line with the battery was a 10amp and looks like it should have been a 20amp according to the manual. After charging the battery, it started back up. Is there an alternator that charges the battery as you drive on our boats?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
our boats do not have an alternator, they have a rectifier (I could be wrong on the terminology), it does recharge the battery but at a extremely low rate, not enough if you have a large stereo drain

be sure to look at the link in my signature below for info about your boat,

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@haik naltchayan. Our boats have a stator for running the boat after starting and charging the battery. The stator is not nearly as efficient as a generator but is sufficient.

The blown fuse near your ancient battery powers most of your accessories. Replace that with the proper size fuse and you'll be good to go. The fuse under the round cap on the black box at the rear of your engine compartment is your ECU (engine computer) fuse. There should be a good one in the ECU and a spare one inside the round cover. If that's not the case replace one.

One more bit of advice...It seems this is a new to you boat. While its exciting to fill your boat up with fuel and people I think you found out it's not a great idea until you go through the boat, check things out and get comfortable with its operation. I would change oil, spark plugs, replace the old battery, make sure the bilge pump works and make sure you have all required safety equipment. Your 8 passengers are out on the water with you to have safe fun. If your boat keeps letting them down they won't want to keep going out.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Zonie for the reply. Yes, all the switches are out on the helm, blower, horn, lights etc. When you say there is a circuit breaker next to 12v outlet, are you talking about the rubber buttons under it that you push to reset, or is it in the wiring harness behind the helm? I did find a blown fuse between the battery switch and the positive battery cable that I haven't been able to swap that one out yet. Hopefully that's the problem.
Haik, I will defer to others who have actually had this problem. It sounds like they are correct with the fuse near the battery and making sure it is the correct amperage. However, in the "Glove compartment" where the stereo and 12v outlet are located, there is also a circuit breaker. It's located right next to the outlet but can be difficult to see.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
However, in the "Glove compartment" where the stereo and 12v outlet are located, there is also a circuit breaker. It's located right next to the outlet but can be difficult to see.
He has a 2008, we weren't blessed enough to get a glove compartment :( the stereo is on the drivers side