• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

first experience sucking something in the jet..

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Chris K Thank you for your reply. I just thought it could be as simple as wire mesh to prevent some of the larger debris from entering but since I haven't actually used my boat yet I might not fully understand how this is working.

Is it possible to damage your engine by sucking something in?

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have had 2 injestions this year. Both were very early in the season when the lake just filled and was full of debris. Both were little hunks of wood and both fixed in a few minutes. I was very happy I could pull the plug especially when the water was only 58*. I don't see the seadoo approach of enclosing the drive shaft making the need of topside access a novelty like their adds claim.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dansshin , someone has suggested that before around here. Two primary problems were concluded to the plan:
1) Whatever you add must not add cavitation to the stream of water coming in. Cavitation will destroy not only propulsion but the impeller. That means that the mesh will need to be designed to not make turbulence--not a trivial task, and
b) If your mesh fails (or gets hit by something and breaks), then your mesh becomes debris for the intake to suck in (and, if it is metal, well, you get it).

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I experience ingestions of small wood chunks that stick a few times a season. It is mostly after rains where there is a lot of wood debris in the water. I am surprised how small of a piece can make an audible difference in the engine sound. I rev each engine to determine which side it is on then try the reverse trick, if it still sounds funny I pull the plug. My 06 also has a tight fit with the plug and tray. It has worked much better since doing the plug rebuild kit.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In three years of jet boat ownership (2 years with SeaDoo and this year with Yamaha) I have never once had anything get lodged in either boat's jets. I am sure I sucked plenty into the SeaDoo pump but it has very very sharp impellers which help with self clearing of debris. The impellers on the Yamaha are not sharp at all, at least on my boat they aren't so it will be easier the get things lodged into there. I have a feeling that before this year is up I will be using the clean out ports with how early the weeds are growing in the river.