• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First I've heard of this concept.....

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think that's a terrible idea. Most people can't control a normal car, let alone while towing. Now having the trailer ALSO be pushing? Recipe for jackknifes.

It's just not something that seems like an issue. Modern vehicles dont lack for power to tow. Theres MUCH more to towing than the grunt to pull it. People towed things that weighed as much as they do now 30 years ago with v8s that made 180hp...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you had an electric or hybrid tow vehicle and the trailer had generators on the wheels to charge the battery would be more practical to me.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's an interesting idea for sure, i think it could have some serious potential and not just as propulsion. But I wonder what it's might cost as far as maintenance, especially on the solar panels and batteries.

I can understand the idea of this being a potential danger as well, but I'm pretty sure that the company could rig up some sort of control system based on trailer tongue feedback and an inertial sensing system.

Using a DC source variable frequency drive controlled AC motor instead of just a simple DC motor to turn the wheel motors, they just as easily become an anti lock braking system and an individual wheel torque management feature to control speed, acceleration, and braking...that might have some real potential.

It could also offer backup assistance by torque biasing to either side, creating yaw on the trailer to either driver or passenger side to steer and auto correct.

Running down the road it could also perform wobble dampening control. How many times have you passed a trailer that looked like it was trying to fight for its freedom?

I would also think that if the trailer could make the tow vehicle behave like wasn't pulling a load, it might actually make a driver that isn't used to pulling a load considerably safer.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My opinion (not worth much)
Powered trailers have been around for some time. Not efficient due to all the extra rotating equipment and relevant changes of inertia that will suck up lots of energy. Best use of it is for increase traction, normally in an off-road situation. I like the solar panel and maneuvering with an app approach. But powering a trailer will likely never become main stream, other then for specific applications where extra traction is needed.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My first thought was the convenience of pushing a trailer around a yard and into tight storage after disconnecting it from the tow vehicle. Kinda like a built in powered trailer dolly. My be an over engineered/price solution for that application alone though.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I dunno, a self powered trailer controlled by a cellphone app built by a German company called Dethleffs. All I can envision is my grandson playing video games on my cellphone when all of a sudden the camper goes careening out of the campsite, down the road and into the lake. Oh yeah, and hits my boat...perfect.