• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Jet Boat Purchase (AR-192)

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I don’t think it’s a necessity if the price was real good but I will say there is some piece of mind knowing you have the latest update. The failure rate on here isn’t high and when you factor in how many are sold each year it seems like such a rare chance it could happen. But....it is a known issue hence Yamaha finally updating it in 2016 so there is always the possibility. Just depends how much you really think it could be you that has an issue. I don’t think I would let it stop me if I found the right boat but I will say the changes the made to the interior for 2015+ is nicer appointed and something to think about aside from the timing chain. The bow backrest is nice to have for times you want to hang out up front and they didn’t add that until 2015 IIRC. They added Seadek swim platform in 2016 to replace the hydro turf of previous models as well as the forward swept tower. Just some things to consider but if none of that is a deal breaker or super important nothing wrong going with the older boats.
Thanks for the good info. I don't have any preference in regard to the forward swept tower vs. the older style. I do like the bow backrest. But coming from a closed bow 79 searay, I'm pretty sure any bow seating will blow me away! I do like the Seadek, but I guess you can always do that aftermarket from JBP.
The timing chain issue does give me a little bit of concern. I found a 2016 AR192 for sale here on here, but its 28K and comes with YES warranty. More problems to deal with now in my mind....

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The 195 has more power. Upgrading is expensive. Be sure you are very comfortable with the power offered, and do check on the Timing Chain. As reliable as they are, those years are the ones with the most severe known issue of the 4 strokes, in my opinion, in that timing chain. If you can jump to the 2016 I would consider it, Specially if you plan to keep it for many many years.

You will be blown away by fuel injection..it's awesome, no more carb problems.
I am totally looking forward to fuel injection!!!! I do plan on keeping the boat for as long as I can, at least until we outgrow it.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Don’t the newer than 2015 have a little more storage?

also better sound dampening?
Hinged seating?

@yjander are you financing at all or paying cash?
I guess the little extra's don't bother me too much. The hinged seating is nice, but I like the extra bit of storage you can squeak out by taking off the cousin.

Yes, I plan to finance a little bit of it, prob. about 15K or so. Put enough of a payment down so that I'm not underwater right when I buy it.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That “ Special Yamaha Financing” the owner prolly used just hit its 5 Year mark and jumped from 2.9% to 7.9% and he said “ we hardly use it, let’s just sell it before we end up paying all this damn interest” .. just a guess lol
Actually, according to the salesman, its a consignment deal because the owners are going through a divorce...gotta liquidate those assets I guess!

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess the little extra's don't bother me too much. The hinged seating is nice, but I like the extra bit of storage you can squeak out by taking off the cousin.

Yes, I plan to finance a little bit of it, prob. about 15K or so. Put enough of a payment down so that I'm not underwater right when I buy it.
Best advice I can give you is see what the going apr is on a 4 year old boat. When I looked in July it was 6% up to 10% and that was with a credit score of 790.

if a New Boat can be had @2.9% and you can get a deal on the price being the “Off season”, you may actually come out about even when buying new vrs used. It’s something I highly recommend you sit down and crunch the numbers on. Just something to think about is all.

57E69BCE-7376-4A8F-A559-73E7CEAA653F.png

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don’t the newer than 2015 have a little more storage?

also better sound dampening?
Hinged seating?

@yjander are you financing at all or paying cash?
Nah the storage is the same for them until the latest update where they redesigned the hull and cockpit. No hinged seats either. Mainly the changes along the years have been cosmetic aside from the rudder addition and timing chain updates in 2016.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good luck and glad @haknslash had more details on the timing chain costs. Again, that’s a good price but you can use the chain question to negotiate some or get some service credits should you need it.

Great boat coming from your 17 foot. Even if you upgrade later you will not have much loss but a lot of fun gains! Watch Leon Adler’s videos on YouTube and it will help you decide even though his boat is the 190 and not the 192

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
good luck and glad @haknslash had more details on the timing chain costs. Again, that’s a good price but you can use the chain question to negotiate some or get some service credits should you need it.

Great boat coming from your 17 foot. Even if you upgrade later you will not have much loss but a lot of fun gains! Watch Leon Adler’s videos on YouTube and it will help you decide even though his boat is the 190 and not the 192
Leon Adler is half the reason I am addicted to Yamaha jet boats! The Yamaha jet boat challenge!
Classic! Thanks for the good info everyone. Hoping to go look at it this weekend.

@Ratket thanks for the suggestion about new boats. I really don't like the connext screen in the newer boats. Also don't care for the change in seating. I like the wrap around seating in the older ones. Although I will say something about the 195S is very sexy! I enjoy watching the build thread about the new 2020 195S

Last edited:

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Update: I've got the boat on hold until I get up there and look at it. With the Thanksgiving holiday here, everyone is gone. I can't make it up next weekend (dog needs MCL/ACL surgery, ugh!) and it'll likely be the 14th of FREAKEN December before I can take a look and test drive with my damn winter jacket on!!!

Thanks for comments. New boat prices vs. what i'll be paying for this after my down payment will not even come close. If I went new, problem would be I would want it all (prob. 195S and that's out of the budget). I am going to dig into the timing chain issue when I'm looking at it to see what he knows.