• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First noobie question USB and Power

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello folks
So we have taken our AR195 twice already... lots of fun with the kids!
Now, it's a 2019 AR195 and I have a USB input and also a lighter style charger. When I connect the phone to the USB I have no power there, is this correct? I have not seen a USB plug that has no power the last 5 or so years, but I am not sure on the boat.
Basically, I just want to make sure it's how it's supposed to be or I have an issue to sort out.
Thanks
Roger

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sounds like you might have a problem. I would look up the spec in the manual as well as check the device you're plugging in. If it only supports 0.5A and your device requires 1A or more then the device may not show its charging and it may appear that there is no juice. But I would hope a brand new 2019 boat would support at least 1A USB.

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you might have a problem. I would look up the spec in the manual as well as check the device you're plugging in. If it only supports 0.5A and your device requires 1A or more then the device may not show its charging and it may appear that there is no juice. But I would hope a brand new 2019 boat would support at least 1A USB.
I would think so... especially with all these new electronics... thanks!

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello folks
So we have taken our AR195 twice already... lots of fun with the kids!
Now, it's a 2019 AR195 and I have a USB input and also a lighter style charger. When I connect the phone to the USB I have no power there, is this correct? I have not seen a USB plug that has no power the last 5 or so years, but I am not sure on the boat.
Basically, I just want to make sure it's how it's supposed to be or I have an issue to sort out.
Thanks
Roger
Turn on your battery switch, the 12VDC will not work unless it is. The one in my SUV is the same

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Galaxy Note 4 won't charge from the USB port while hooked into the stereo. I suspect it's low amperage ouput from the base model head unit. We carry a 5A (dual 2.5A) lighter adapter charger with us, and a couple micro-usb cables. It's worked great to charge two phones at the same time and hasn't blown any fuses.

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree. Check battery switches. There also might be an Aux. button on the console. There is on my 242 that turns them on. Good luck.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with the battery switch. The stereo on my AR195 is completely powered down when the battery switch is off. After that, I'd take a peak in the storage area behind the the stereo. You might simply have a wire that came unplugged. The stock USB plug runs to the stereo so you can have a USB input (which also serves as a charge port). So the cable connecting to the stereo may have come unplugged.

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi folks, thanks for the replies. Battery switch is on, radio powers on and all. I checked the connections behind the dash and it's all plugged. Still no power on the USB...

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you say no power, are you looking with a voltmeter or similar and seeing 0 volts, or does your phone just not show that it's charging? All USB receptacles must have 5V on the first pin regardless of their current capacity.

An easy test could be to put a couple of music files on a USB stick/key/thumbdrive, plug that in and see whether the radio detects it.

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you say no power, are you looking with a voltmeter or similar and seeing 0 volts, or does your phone just not show that it's charging? All USB receptacles must have 5V on the first pin regardless of their current capacity.

An easy test could be to put a couple of music files on a USB stick/key/thumbdrive, plug that in and see whether the radio detects it.
OK, I tried the USB stick, once plugged in the USB word shows up on the head unit (round one), but the music won't play... I will bring my voltmeter to my office to check on the voltage. I will also look for this AUX button another member mentioned.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Since you have that new door into the helm area, I would stick my head in there and make sure the wiring harness is plugged in firmly between the USB plug and the radio. Although the fact that the radio senses the USB stick would seem to indicate it's not a wiring harness issue. But you never know. Maybe it's not snapped in properly such that all pins are connecting.

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since you have that new door into the helm area, I would stick my head in there and make sure the wiring harness is plugged in firmly between the USB plug and the radio. Although the fact that the radio senses the USB stick would seem to indicate it's not a wiring harness issue. But you never know. Maybe it's not snapped in properly such that all pins are connecting.
I did that earlier today, followed the wiring and the plugs. Everything seems to be plugged nice and tight. I bet it's something really silly...

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
USB 2.0 outside pins 1 and 2 are +5vdc and ground. The inside pins 2 and 3 are the data - and data +. Usb 2.0 transmits data via voltage differential pairs to form a packet. If any of the 4 pins are corroded or the cable/path is weak/broken/compromised the resulting packet may not make any sense to the device.

If there is a usb extension from the head unit I would first unplug that and try directly plugging into the head-unit. If that does not work I would try cleaning the pins. If that does not work then something inside the headunit has likely failed suck as the step down/buck circuit converting 12v to 5v.

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
USB 2.0 outside pins 1 and 2 are +5vdc and ground. The inside pins 2 and 3 are the data - and data +. Usb 2.0 transmits data via voltage differential pairs to form a packet. If any of the 4 pins are corroded or the cable/path is weak/broken/compromised the resulting packet may not make any sense to the device.

If there is a USB extension from the head unit I would first unplug that and try directly plugging into the head-unit. If that does not work I would try cleaning the pins. If that does not work then something inside the head unit has likely failed suck as the step down/buck circuit converting 12v to 5v.
That's a great idea! I will try that, if I get power from the head unit directly then I know the actual USB plug/connector is the issue. Will try these tomorrow!

Thanks!

Roger.P

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok... I am not sure what happened, but here is what I did:
Disconnected the USB from the back of the head unit, connected my phone directly and the phone started charging! Great, now I know the issue is with the USB plug itself that connects to the head unit (they cost like 12 bucks on Amazon), I reconnected everything back and Voila!!! It's now working!
I appreciate all the comments and tips! I learned more about USB in the past 48 hours than my whole entire life! This group is awesome!

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. So i have the same issue. The USB cable that connects between the radio and dashboard recepticle is what needs to be replaced?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The cable going to the phone is what I would check first. Then the cable from the headunit to the dash. If it is the one to the dash my guess would be corroded pins at the receptical. A dispoable flux brush dipped in white vinegar may be all you need to clean the pins on the dash receptical (batteries off when you do that).

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t have the same radio as the newer boats but the Clarion M505 in my 192 is a slow charge and not high speed charging like my truck’s Pioneer radio. That being said it keeps up enough throughout the day unless I’m really using a ton of apps in the background like GPS plus bluetoooth radio.