• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Oil Change

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never been one for DIY maintenance on vehicles or any other toys. It has always just been easier to drop it off / pay a mechanic to have it done. I decided when I bought my boat that I was gonna go ahead and take care of everything myself this time. So I'm proud to announce that I completed my first oil change today.

I started by leveling out the trailer with the jack to maximize the oil extracted. Then I warmed up the port engine first. I made sure to follow all the procedures. Engine on, then water on. Water off then engine off. I warmed up the engine for around 10 minutes. Pumping out the oil was a breeze. Gave it a couple of pumps every minute or so and it did the rest. It pumped out nearly 4 liters of oil. Tbe hardest time I had was taking off the oil filter. I'm pretty sure they have a gorrilla put it on at the plant. I had to retrieve a paor of oversized channel locks from the garage to get it started. I had a couple off puppy pads in the garage and they did a great job of catching the oil tbat spilled from the filter.
I made sure to put the same amount of oil back in as I took out. Then I moved on to the starboard engine and repeated all the steps again. When I finished both engines I ran them for a minute or so and before shutting them down and checking the oil on the dipstick (just to be sure).
After cleaning up the puppy pads and other trash the sun was going down so I saved the greasing for another day this week.
20170329_160227.jpg

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great post!! I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago.. I bet it feels good when you do your own service and don't get ripped off at the dealer.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great post!! I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago.. I bet it feels good when you do your own service and don't get ripped off at the dealer.
Yeah I just couldn't stomach paying hundreds of dollars for something I could do myself with a little bit of effort. Plus I didnt want to tow the boat across town and back.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Grease gun on the kitchen counter? Has she forgiven you?

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Grease gun on the kitchen counter? Has she forgiven you?
Lol I didn't get caught with it there. I had just taken everything outside when she came home from work. I like to live life on the edge.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the grease gun for? Can it be used to pack a f150 front bearing?

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just make sure to check the oil level on the water when you go out. Run at idle till warm and then stop and check. Since you had some oil loss from filter and leaking out. Just so you are not low. I never fill to full mark but somewhere in between. I also check later in the day either at the Sandbar or dock.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the grease gun for? Can it be used to pack a f150 front bearing?
There are several grease fittings that are supposed to get greased every so often. The ones in the engine compartment are close to the back of the engine. And i believe there are several more by the jet nozzles. Grease fittings are universal so if your F150 has a grease fitting then you can use a grease gun to grease it.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just make sure to check the oil level on the water when you go out. Run at idle till warm and then stop and check. Since you had some oil loss from filter and leaking out. Just so you are not low. I never fill to full mark but somewhere in between. I also check later in the day either at the Sandbar or dock.
I will make sure to recheck the oil levels next time I get out on the water. Thanks

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok cool. Thanks

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
ok, so this may be a dumb question, but what is full on the dipstick? The 2nd hole?

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok, so this may be a dumb question, but what is full on the dipstick? The 2nd hole?
Correct, the second hole is full. As lomg as you keep it in the upper half of the two holes you're good.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to hear your oil change went well, these boats are a breeze to maintain. Don't forget to check over the boat, clips, bolts, screws etc the dealer is supposed to check everything at services, I doubt they do but its the reason they charge so much, because the time it takes. Thats their excuse anyhow :rolleyes::D.