• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First routine maintenance attempt

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know that I would overly worry. Worry, perhaps. But not overly.

Now, let us be absolutely clear: I trust @txav8r perfectly. I believe 100% that there is a risk, that is what NGK told him, the whole bit. And I also believe equally that the results, were a piece of the plug to break off, would be catastrophic.

But then I factor in a couple of other items. First, I have changed plugs in cars for coming up on 40 years now (really? i just added that up. crap. i'm old. but i digress). I have gapped, regapped, overgapped, way-oops-overgapped, gapped again and have never had such an issue. Second, particularly for iridiums, these things are designed to be in vehicles for years without being changed. How many hours do you think there are in 100k miles? And we change ours in our boats every year (with some of us putting 20-50 hours on during that time). Essentially my point is that we are changing these things out very early in their expected lifetime.

So I do think it is a risk, but I would not go ape over it. Were it my boat (and it is not--I will certainly respect your decision here), I would probably keep using it as I was otherwise going to use it, and meanwhile order a set of the right plugs and then just put those in when you get a chance. IMHO and all other disclaimers applying. :)

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have to buy a buffer and some wax ANY recommendations...my stores are as followed

pep boys home depot walmart ace hardware harbor freight west marine

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to buy a buffer and some wax ANY recommendations...my stores are as followed

pep boys home depot walmart ace hardware harbor freight west marine
I can't comment on best waxes, polishes, cleaners or sealants for gel coat but I can say when I did car detail I always like using Porter Cable polishers and buffers over Makita, Flex and other brands. There is a reason why the Porter Cable 7424 XP is often referred as the "industry standard" for car detail buffers. Very smooth, reliable, powerful, nice weight and the random orbit prevents swirls. For $120 it's probably the best bang for your buck buffer on the market. You can buy them at most stores and of course autogeek online.

Last edited:

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Halleuia! Just did my first 'major' work, changing spark plugs on my '08 212X. I was worried about the #3 cylinder plug after reading the horror stories on here, but mine came out easy. Gap for '08 is 0.7mm-0.8mm.
Thankful for this forum to research the tips & tricks!! Oil change is next :)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice work on the oil and plug change...those are usually the most challenging for people...but once done, not so bad with all the advice on this forum!

Regarding the port side sounding different than the starboard. Do you have to grease the main bearings on the 1.8s? I know on my MR-1s, if the main bearings get a little dry, they will get a little rattle in them (even on the water). I know my manual says to only grease them every season, but I tend to have to do it more than that.

Another thing you may want to do is get some spray teflon grease. I spray my reverse cables, pivot points on my buckets, and the steering linkages near the nozzles as needed. I also go up behind the dash and spray the pivot points on the steering and steering cables as needed. A couple of years ago my steering got a little stiff and gravely sounding. Since putting a little grease on it, no more problems.