• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time after winter storage. What do I need to do and how do I do it?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello Again!

Looking forward to my second season with my 2013 Yamaha 212x. I've had it stored in my garage over the winter but now I'm anxious to get this ready for the new boating season! I know I need to do an oil change. What else?

Previous owner sent me box of Yamaha oil, oil filter and spark plugs when I purchased the boat last year. I know these boats don't have oil drain plugs so my question is what is needed to do the oil change besides the oil and oil filter? Any good step by step tutorial/video on this? Does the spark plug also need to be changed? What else do I need to do?

I can take it to the dealer if needed but since I have all these oil, oil filter and spark plugs I thought I at least see if this something I could do. By the way my boat currently has ~50 hours total on it.

Thank you for any advice in advance!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
YOu will need a dipstick oil extractor, the hot shot guys have electric ones and they take about 3 minutes. A manual one will take more time. YOU will want to run the boat to warm the oil so it flows better.
Everyone has a different view on this but I put my toys away with fresh oil then in the spring its just new gas and go.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
YOu will need a dipstick oil extractor, the hot shot guys have electric ones and they take about 3 minutes. A manual one will take more time. YOU will want to run the boat to warm the oil so it flows better.
Everyone has a different view on this but I put my toys away with fresh oil then in the spring its just new gas and go.
Thank you for your reply. Would something like this be good enough for 212x? Anything else I would need to accomplish this?

http://www.amazon.com/America-5060-Topsider-Multi-Purpose-Removing/dp/B001445IZ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464718924&sr=8-3&keywords=dipstick+oil+extractor

You mentioned "run the boat to warm the oil" which make me nervous to do. Isn't the engine cooled by water and do I have to hook up the garden hose to cool the engine while doing this? How do I know it's hooked up correctly as to not ruin the engine?

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yes just make sure the oil is warm. IM going to let others with more experience chime in, Im lazy and have my guy do mine cause he has all the big boy tools to get it done quick. I just clean the boat and watch the master

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Haha yeah I know what you mean. What should I expect to pay if I have the dealer do it?

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
At least $200, Thats why I say its worth a try yerself atleast once

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What should I expect to pay if I have the dealer do it?
Way too much. :) And not to mention not having your boat for awhile depending on how busy they are...

Run the boat on the hose for a few mins (maybe 5-10 mins?) and that should warm things up just enough. You'll know the hose is working because water will be pouring out near the jets in the back, at idle it doesn't come out the ports on the side. Just remember: engine on, water on...water off, engine off in that order and you'll be fine. I added a ball valve to a short section of hose and put the hose adapter (came with the boat) on that to make shutting water off easier inside the boat.

As for oil extractor, it might be worth getting one a bit bigger so you can do both engines at the same time, just take note how much oil you remove to each engine, so you add that much back. I usually can get approx. 3 qts out of each. So I have a 6.5L oil extractor, this is what I have (picked it up at the store in Minnetonka on 394):
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-5l--11047123

I'm in MN as well (SW metro), so don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have questions, it's a pretty easy process to change the oil.

Outside that starting it up in the spring usually doesn't take much other than checking everything to make sure it's working again. Battery/batteries have a charge and hooked up, spark plugs look good (change if needed), wash/wax if you want, get all the stuff back into their places if you pulled them out for winter, check bilge pump, etc. Also don't forget about trailer maintenance in the spring. Check the lights, tires, grease bearings, etc.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you @RightStuff

I do have the black hose adapter that came with the boat but being it my first time I still feel little uncomfortable running the boat on hose for 5 to 10 minutes. So you are saying just turn the engine on and let it run but don't throttle up? Do you turn the water on full? What happens if you turn the water on first?

I had my battery on battery tender that original owner had installed. I'll have to see if the battery is still in good condition when I start the boat.

I also need to repair the scratch I got last year from someone trying to pull out of the water. I bought the matching gel coat and wet sand paper but didn't get to it this past winter. I need some directions on this as well. Do you know any good local guy that does gel coat repair? I'll probably give it a good wax job after this is repaired.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No need to throttle up, just run at idle for a bit to warm up the oil doing so just makes it easier to extract. And yep, full pressure from the hose is fine. If you turn it on before starting the engine you could damage the engines since you are pushing water into an engine that isn't cycling the water. Water = engine coolant

I don't have a gel coat guy, I have to do the same repair myself this year (small chip in my case). I was just doing to do it myself with the help of some stuff I read online here to do what I need to do. This post appeared to have the best info (w/ pics), but there are others with more info too:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/gel-coat-repair-with-spectrum-color-match.1641/

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
do you guys have a pic of the hose adapter? I have two difference connector looking things I am I trying to determine what they do.

If I get to it in the next few days, I'll post a pic of the adapters, they are both on my boat which is slipped 20 minutes from my house.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's what mine looks like except mine doesn't have the slight angle where it connects to the hose.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like a good one to me, should work just fine.
Thanks for the confirmation. How do you clean the extractor after you use it?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the confirmation. How do you clean the extractor after you use it?
No prob... I just wish you were closer, you could borrow mine to use, only gets used once a year.

I just dump what I can out to container and wipe the extractor out. I just bring the used oil to the oil change place when I get my vehicle's oil changed. Is it strange that I do the boat's oil myself but not the cars? :confused:

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No prob... I just wish you were closer, you could borrow mine to use, only gets used once a year.

I just dump what I can out to container and wipe the extractor out. I just bring the used oil to the oil change place when I get my vehicle's oil changed. Is it strange that I do the boat's oil myself but not the cars? :confused:
I wish you were closer as well... ;)

LOL, yeah but if you think about it you can get your car oil changed at the dealer for less than $30 and usually have free food and drinks while you wait. It sounds like it's much more at the Yamaha dealer not do mention for me it's not very convenient to tow my boat all the way there than have to go pick it up again when they are done.

I guess if I don't intend to use it to dispense the new oil with it then it may not need to be cleaned all that well. I was thinking you needed a solvent or degreaser to clean the whole thing after each use. I just purchased that Mityvac 7201 from ToolDiscounter.com which is in St. Paul. They have it on sale for $~88 + tax w/ free shipping.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MIT7201&source=froogle&kw=MIT7201&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7LS6BRDo2Iz23au25OQBEiQAQa6hwPpbycUNhifYQitppp5i-cR_mZGElrd27NaYvcXwP0MaAlwC8P8HAQ

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a video shot by @JetBoatPilot showing the procedure to hook up the hose while running the engines. Hope this helps.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you @H2OBoy

So I have a connector hole for each engine on each side of the boat and I need to hook up the hose for each engine to warm up the oil?

For example:
  • hook the hose up to driver side
  • turn the driver side engine on
  • turn the water on after 2 seconds
  • run for 5 - 10 min
  • turn off water
  • blowout the water (rev up slightly 2 times)
  • turn off driver side engine
  • extract old oil
  • fill with new oil same amount as extracted
Repeat for other engine.

Does this process sound correct?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, you have the steps, only thing to really add is take off the old oil filter and install a new one. I also suck out a bit more oil thru the oil filter hole as well. The goal is to get as much out as possible, should be around 3.5L or so...