• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time boat buyer

Jonathan Bradshaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everybody. New to the world of boats. I've been researching and shopping for a little while now. I recently found a 2012 seadoo challenger 180 for 13k. Thinking this would be a good beginner boat. Anything I should I know about this specific model or year ? Price is negotiable, I was thinking of offering 11 or 12. The boat looks to be in very clean shape and well taken car of. Is the price fair?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it's the 215hp 180 Se with trailer, NADA is saying $14-$16K. If it's the 255hp, it could be more. So $12K is a decent deal. That being said, be sure you have a BRP dealer that will help you out with service if you are not handy with oil changes and winterization. If it's a Supercharged version, be sure the SC's have had their required maintenance based on engine hours. And there are not any recalls or service bulletins on the unit.

Those engines can be expensive to fix/replace if they go. (like most any others) Check out the SeaDoo forums for other owners advice as well. It can be very specific to that model.

Good luck,

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe Seadoo stopped jetboat production several years ago. I'm sure parts are currently still available for that year but at some point they may become hard to find. I would want to get it for a good price.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is an extensive after market parts market for these engines, so parts will likely not be a problem for many years. My 717 from 99.. You can still buy most all spare parts.

Super charger washers/rebuild service would be my concern. If you find the naturally aspirated version of that boat, it should be much less likely to need repairs.

Sounds like a great deal!!

Jonathan Bradshaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the insight guys. Much appreciated. Is there something comparable maybe I should be looking at? I do love those Yamahas

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I test drove a 180 challenger before settling on our Ar190. Here’s my take as a new boat owner. Avoid supercharged rotax engines. Older models had ceramic washers which, as others mentioned, turn these engines into a ticking time bomb. Newer models solved the problem but still require bearing rebuilds every 100-200 hours. You can do this your self but requires a few special tools or mail it off and have it done for $4-500. The 180 is a nice little starter boat otherwise, but probably best suited for 4-6 people and would be easy to trailer (can be launched with a large UTV). That being said we are way happier with our 190: rides better in the rough, pulls just as hard as the supercharged rotax, and maintinence is dead simple.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
230s are great, but get priced a little higher. I had a 18ft SeaDoo from 1999 for 14 years and it was a blast.

But 4 cycle/4 stroke engines are much more reliable. Don't go two stroke unless you like working on carburators.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, we can dispel with the old Seadoo horror stories for this shopping experience. If you are looking at 2012, then you are looking at a current engine, that is still being produced and sold today by BRP dealers in Seadoos and by Chapparal and Scarab dealers. These are not the old 2-stroke Rotax, or even the Mercury SportJet powered Seadoo boats.

That being said, service and support on the engine as well as parts will not be an issue if you take appropriate care of the engine and Superchargers if it has them. Boat components are readily available. As in hull fittings, pump parts etc. Many cross over to the scarab boats as they bought the hull molds, even if your particular model may not be in production.

And as we have all found, most of these boats, from all the MFG's use parts that can be sourced by other places other than the OEM. We have found this true with both Yamaha and SeaDoo boats that ladders, handles, cleats, windshield trims etc can be bought by the OEM supplier in a worst case scenario.

So what you need to decide is if you are comfortable doing your own legwork in finding those things if and when you need them. It was one of the real reasons we sold our SeaDoo X20 this spring. I wanted out of it while it was still a very solid used boat and had plenty of value left in it for the next owner.

Good luck!