• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time buyer looking for advice

mikehart

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hello all, brand new to the forum here and going to be a first time buyer. I have been looking around on here and doing my own independent research but thought it would be a good idea to see what some of you experienced folks had to say. I live in pittsburgh pa so we have the river here to enjoy, I have been going out with my buddies for the past 7 years and probably know the basics but have heard a lot of mixed things from the people I have spoke to. I am leaning towards a jet boat I have heard they are easier to maintain (not 100% sure if that is fact). Was also hoping not spend over 20k, were there any models in particular I should check out? I am assuming for my price range I will need to purchase used, I kind of like how the Sea-Doo 210s look, but have just started looking around. Something else is obviously it gets pretty chilly here in the winter months and a lot of people use the heated mines around the area to store during that period. Some of my relatives own a farm and I would be able to keep it in one of their barns out there but I do not believe they are heated. Would that be okay or will I need to find heated storage?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hello @mikehart and welcome to Jetboaters.net! You will find the membership here not only willing but extremely knowledgable about our boats.

Two things you mentioned, winterizing and maintenance are pluses. The Yamaha jet boats are much less maintenance than their inboard/outboard counterparts. Because they don't have a transmission, and they have a true marine engine that evolved from the jetski engines, compared to an automobile engine that was adapted to marine life. And that helps with the winterization of our boats. Because they don't have transmissions or big engine blocks that retain water. So all you have to do when winterizing a Yamaha jet boat, is to rev the engine to blow the water out of the engine and exhaust sections. Sure, all equipment needs other things done to get the best use and value long term, but that stands to reason. I always removed everything from all compartments, kept the batteries on a charger, topped off my gas with stabilized fuel, and cleaned it up thoroughly. Then I did my annual maintenance, which is minimal compared to a big V8, in the spring.

You mentioned seadoo...I can't speak to them as they are a different boat, but we have members that can. I know the Yamahas and know that you can find a great boat in the $20K range. Good luck on your search and once again, welcome to the forum!

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I have a SeaDoo 210. They have closed loop cooling for the engines, with antifreeze. The exhaust is water cooled, and has to be blown out for winter storage. Other than that, just and oil change and its ready for storage.

Keep in mind the supercharged seadoos require a supercharger rebuild, recommended every 200 hours or 2 years. Many boat owners go longer than 2 years. The 210 was offered with twin non supercharged 310 hp, single supercharged 250 hp (210S), and twin supercharged 430 hp.

For minimal maintenance the 310 hp boat only needs an oil and filter change.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum :Welcome:. I completely agree with txav8r comments. I came from an I/O 21 foot boat and can confirm without question the maintenance costs and work are FAR less for a jet boat, especially the newer models. If you are new to boating I would also look into a boating safety course. The US Coast Guard offers them and they are great. There are also ones on disc you can do on your own time.... Check www.boattest.com for a boaters safety course on disc. Too many people buy a boat and dont learn the rules of the road (or water). These will make you a safer, more aware, and more educated boater.

Good luck.....you found a great forum!

mikehart

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Thank you for the responses! So there is no reason to go the mine route? I will be okay just sticking it in the barn for storage? Also how many hours is considered high on an engine? I am seeing a bunch with 100-200 hours.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
100 to 200 is not a lot, but all hours are not created equal. If the previous owner spent 30-40 minutes in a no wake zone every outing, as opposed to the guy who jumps in and runs full throttle all day. The total wear would be different. If you have the engine hours read with the YDS software it gives you a breakdown by rpm

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We bought our 2007 Yamaha one year ago with 100 hrs on it, which I consider low. I have had no mechanical problems with the MR-1s and the boat runs great. For winterizing up here I jacked the bow up high to make sure all the water had drained from the bilge, then lower back down. Run engines quickly and throttle up some to blow the water out of the exhaust boxes. Take the battery out. Put the mooring cover on and back it into a corner of one of our unheated barns, where it stays all winter.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
100 to 200 is not a lot, but NOT all hours are created equal.
I believe you meant not all hours are created equal. . . . Which most would clearly get from the context clues. However, some might not so I figured I'd give you a heads up.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in NY and have a 2014, with 75 hours. . . . An average of 25/yr. . . .it is not uncommon however to see much more then that. . . Some people put 50-100 hours per year depending on where they live.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
My 2012 had ~50 hours when I bought it about this time last year. Put about 25 on it last summer. Don't get a lot of hours here in the northeast.