• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Charging Battery, Necessary to disconnect?

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm about to charge the battery on my 2020 195S for the first time and have a simple question. It's been a LONG time since I've operated a boat, and the boat I used to run was a 2-Stroke Outboard. On those boats you had to completely disconnect the battery before charging or you would burn up the the power packs! I read my Yamaha manual and it doesn't say anything about disconnecting the battery from the boat before charging. Is this necessary? What steps should I take when charging? I'm going to be using a new ProMariner HD12 2 bank charger (planning to a.dd a second battery next year when I install tower speakers).

Do I need to turn the battery switch to the off position before charging or anything like that? Maybe I'm missing it somewhere, but I wish the Yamaha manual was more detailed in regards to the battery charging. The ProMariner charger instructions leave a lot to be desired as well. Thanks for any info! I'm taking the boat out for the second trip tomorrow.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No need to disconnect anything or worry about the position of your battery switch. Charge away.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep the battery switches off when charging to be safe. I did accidentally leave them on last week and it didn’t do anything. No need to disconnect anything.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm going to be using a new ProMariner HD12 2 bank charger (planning to a.dd a second battery next year when I install tower speakers).
I just put in the same charger. No need to disconnect the battery connections, just add the "start" battery +/- charging leads to the single battery. Note that one set of leads has a label to specify using it on the starter battery only. Make sure the second set of +/- leads are isolated from each other and anything else to prevent shorting until you add the second battery.[/QUOTE]
do I need to turn the battery switch to the off position before charging or anything like that?
It's a good habit to get into - turn off the battery switch when you're done using the boat so you don't forget and let the battery run down in the event you can't or forget to plug in the charger. I turn the battery switches off after she gets pulled out of the water at the ramp while putting the cover back on. And I don't always plug in the charger on weekends when I'm using the boat, like tonight it's not on the charger as we're going out again tomorrow and the JL Audio MX series amps don't suck a lot of juice if the tunes aren't cranked, so the boat gets it topped up with a 30 min drive around on the water. But it'll get plugged in for the week when it's sitting to keep the batteries topped up.

YamaHog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I wouldn't need to disconnect, but coming from old 2-stroke setups and I wanted to be sure! :)