• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Wake Surfing

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sooooo… had my first real wake surf session yesterday. Was on Malibu 23 with about 3k lbs of ballast. Got up every time but I kept getting caught up in the top of the wake. After about 9 times up I was able to drop in to the wave only once and that didn't last as I put too much weight forward and face planted immediately. I will say that it was super fun and I'm paying for it today. Felt like I had a 5 hour shoulders and back session in the gym. They took video but I'm still (impatiently) waiting for it to be sent to me which is why you don't leave your phone/GoPro and official videographer (nephew) on your boat at the sandbar.

I can't wait to get my yammie set up to do it although I suspect it won't be as good a wave. Told our new friend Andy that I wouldn't trade his boat for mine for anything as I love the versatility of my AR240. He acknowledged that he only operates his on the lake he lives on because his boat can't go where mine can as easily. To reciprocate I think I'm going to invite him on my next salt water adventure.

Anyone experience the "keep getting caught in the middle of the wake" issue I was having and what did you do to correct it. He even tried changing the tow point to accommodate but that didn't work although I was pretty tired by that time.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Try to stay out to the side of the boat until the wave stretches out and then move into the pocket. I see alot of new surfers get behind the boat as soon as they get up and get stuck between the wakes in the white wash.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try to stay out to the side of the boat until the wave stretches out and then move into the pocket. I see alot of new surfers get behind the boat as soon as they get up and get stuck between the wakes in the white wash.
That's exactly where I was. No matter what I tried I kept getting caught up right there.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mystic1906 is hard to diagnose phenomenon this for certain without seeing a video, but here's what I think will help.

1. Assuming you're already in the water with your feet on the board.
  2. Just as the boat begins to pull, press your heels with knees slightly bent.
  3. (Here's where technique starts) keeping your arms staight and leaning back against the rope straighten your legs and body. This will cause you to lean back and carve away.
20190712_210452_1.gif

Sometimes you get caught in the struggle of just getting up, your body ends up forward over feet, knees are bent trying to maintain balance and you lose your power and control over the board. This puts you at the mercy of the wake and the rope. It sucks you up and pulls you over the top.

Lean back against the rope and make the boat pull you up. Plant you heels into that board and take charge the cowboy way. 🤠

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Start no where close to the middle. Start far to whatever side you ride. Also using a shorter rope will help as will a slingshot rope. I wont go into jet vs wake boat.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Having a driver that starts you on your side helps and is something that doesnt get a lot of thought(doest say if you are goofy or regular). @J-RAD posted a perfect video and advice. Gotta be on those heels.
One thing that people get hung up is the captain picking up/keeping the rider on the drivers side(classic school of thought is keeping the rider in view while picking up). For regular riders I will do that because as the transom swings around it puts them on the port side when they are ready to come out of the hole and get up(the transom swings in the turn rider ends up floating on the port side). Goofy riders I approach and put them on the port side(blind side) so as you swing around and toss them the rope they are on the stbd side and dont have to cross the wash pile to get into the wave.
Also as you learn you will get up faster and get over the wash and into the wave before it builds into a mountain that you have to drop off of.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I pick up riders on the side they surf on so we throw the rope slow down a bit and go. Never needing to actually stop. This of course only works if you can get up well and have some experience.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would it also help if the driver turns slightly towards the rider until they're up?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would it also help if the driver turns slightly towards the rider until they're up?
Just make sure you straighten the jets before you blast the throttles though, away from the rider.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mystic1906 got your surf rope when you're ready to gear up. You'll appreciate this rope being a Caymanian/Jamaican family. It's been my rope of choice recently.

Screenshot_20190730-105112_Chrome-01.jpeg

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Mystic1906 got your surf rope when you're ready to gear up. You'll appreciate this rope being a Caymanian/Jamaican family. It's been my rope of choice recently.

View attachment 101481
This would fit perfect on my boat. We smoke more than we drink round here. Smoking a joint while surfing isn't uncommon.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This would fit perfect on my boat. We smoke more than we drink round here. Smoking a joint while surfing isn't uncommon.
That's funny! I don't partake myself but I lived in Jamaica and briefly in Grand Cayman for 2 years preaching to rastas and got plenty of second hand bush weed... one of the best times of my life!

I only ordered the one specifically for myself, but I'd happily order more.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That's funny! I don't partake myself but I lived in Jamaica and briefly in Grand Cayman for 2 years preaching to rastas and got plenty of second hand bush weed... one of the best times of my life!

I only ordered the one specifically for myself, but I'd happily order more.
my dad got married there twice lol. Smoked plenty of Jamaican weed over the years.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That rope is so me LOL. How much was it?

$49.99

The black and silver is what we have available at the moment, but it should be available for me to order it in. I can discount shipping + a couple bucks, but you're going to want to package a board with it too right? 😉 You let me know when you're ready and we'll make it happen.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I start the wife and kids so far to the port side that I can not see them from the helm. We always have a spotter on the stern that gives me the "GO" command. This keeps 'em well outside of the wake.

Another thing I learned is regarding current (if there is any.) We are on the Detroit River which has a pretty substantial current. It is much easier for the surfer to get up and in the pocket if you start by going WITH the current.