• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First trip with SX240...questions???

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the boat out for its maiden voyage, only screw up was that I left the clean out plugs loose, thus when I applied throttle, it was very unresponsive. Lesson learned. Once I put the plugs in, she let loose through Tampa Bay. We went to Beer Island, which was an embarrassing lesson on anchoring... luckily the Mantus anchor sticks quickly, but I only had one anchor and looked like a newbie (which I am). I will be ordering a second anchor soon! After lunch, we got use to the swells in the bay, which can get choppy. What's the best way to approach a swell? I maintained about 27-28 MPH, and didn't want to get any faster.

While operating the boat, I noticed that the blower fan was on, should it be on the entire time?

Second question, which battery switches do you turn on? I only turned on the engine and house switch, which was what I read in the owner's manual. The dealer told me to turn those two plus the emergency, which is true?

Got home, had no problem loading the boat onto the trailer and took her home to get flushed and cleaned. I flushed both engines for about 15 minutes, using a salt remover. I did notice that the hinged seat cushions are in the way to get the hose connected to the flush ports... what gives? Anyone have an easy method for this? I followed the owner's manual: engine on, water on, flush, water off, quick rev and engine off. Has anyone used a Y-adapter to flush both engines at once?

The boat is washed and placed in the storage yard overnight to dry... tomorrow I'll put the mooring cover on. This was a good day hanging with the wife and one of my children (3 year old boy, the girls are at the grandparents).

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat. I only boat fresh water so I can’t help with the flushing (never do it), however big water lakes with high chop, 25-30 mph is about all my passengers and I can take.

I sold my 2005 AR230 this spring and got a call from the buyer on his first trip to the lake, said the performance was horrible (couldn’t get out of the hole shot). I asked if he properly seated the plugs like I showed him (silence). He later sent a text that the boat was a beast with the plugs in. Happens to everyone at least once.

As for the battery switches, turn on the engine and house and leave the emergency off. The dealer doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Basically the only thing the emergency switch does is combine the house battery to the engine circuit if your engine battery dies. Let’s you start the boat off the house battery. They both charge without the emergency switch on. You’ll probably never actually use it.

Run the blower for a couple minutes before starting, then turn it off when you get underway. When you’re running at speed, fresh air is being pulled into the engine compartment and fed to the engine intakes, so fumes can’t be an issue while running. I forget all the time and accidentally leave it on since it’s a little hard to hear. I won’t hurt anything, but the bilge fans are electric motors and won’t last forever. It’s a good habit to use the blowers but I only use them at the dock when firing up for the beginning of a day on the lake. Unless the boat has been sitting for a long while on the water while we float or recently trailered, I personally don’t bother. Others may feel differently.

BTW, get a small or medium box anchor for #2.
You have a great looking family. You’re going to build a lot of memories. Be safe.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fan will come on automatically each time you turn the battery or maybe key up and power the connect. But on my 2015 ar240 its on a count down cant remember how many minutes but it long but not all day. On connect where the time usually is will be a count down clock instead. There is a toggle switch on left dash to manually turn it on check thats not on.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always always always turn on the fan at the fuel dock.... Or before u start it after fueling.. Things can get back quick if u don't. Gas vapors can build up in the lower engine compartment... U turn the keys and instant fireball. When u see video or read of a boat catching in fire at a fuel dock that is normally the reason. When we get to the ramp to launch one of my kids automatically gets in and turns on the batteries and cuts on the engine fan. It will run until we launch the boat and I have the engines running. Normally I won't use it much the remainder if the day unless we spend an extended time sitting somewhere. Once the engines are running I try to turn it off after a few min.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The fan will come on automatically each time you turn the battery or maybe key up and power the connect. But on my 2015 ar240 its on a count down cant remember how many minutes but it long but not all day. On connect where the time usually is will be a count down clock instead.
My boat is 2 years older than your AR and there is nothing automatic about it. I guess the new boats do your thinking for you. @AJack boat is a 2018 so it probably makes coffee and does back rubs. Automatic sounds great until it doesn’t work, but I’m sure Google is working on a completely self driving boat. Waymo does a lot of their testing here in Phoenix and unlike Uber they haven’t killed anyone yet, so I’ll keep an eye out for a Yamaha with a bubble on top.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply, I'll continue using the blower for pre-run steps, but will cease it after I get running.

@AZ Native , thanks for the comment about the family. As for the boat, no coffee and back rubs (at least I haven't found the button for it). It is a nice boat, but it just makes me want to clean it after using it that much more. Also, the get up on this is quick. I'm still getting use to the jet drives at slower speeds.