• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fix this now or can it wait or simply paint over it.

Mc2871

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

Had a run in with another boat's swim deck when my stern slid to the port side as I was leaving my slip and I struck the other boat parked in its slip.
The damage is approx 1" x 1/2" and about 4 inches above the waterline. See photos
Photo 1 shows a close up. Photo 2 shows where it is on the boat
image.jpg image.jpg

Looking at your pic, it looks like the damage is past the gel coat. If so, I'd say you need to get it fixed as soon as possible. Or maybe there is some type of temporary fix to keep it sealed for the rest of the season. This is probably something @Glassman could answer correctly.

No worries, mate! Boat on!

Wait until you have time to fix her, there will be no ill effects of waiting.

That's the fiberglass. If it was under the waterline you should patch it with epoxy so you don't get water wicking into the glass. But your damage is above the water and can wait until you take her to get filled and gel coated.

Although I can't tell just how deep you've gone into the glass from that picture, to me I think that's a yes and no....yes it's above the water line at rest, but when you are throttling up the stern sinks while the bow plows up at an angle and that spot could certainly be "under water" from time to time and then of course during left turns. It could possibly absorb a little water, depends on length of exposure.
If it were me, I would repair it simply because it's very easy to access while on the trailer and I have all the stuff to do the job. It wouldn't take long at all. It falls under the Parking Lot repair job category - one or two beers/iced teas worth of time (and I just don't like stuff like that on my boat)
But that's just me. At a minimum, grab your wife's clear fingernail polish and put a dab on that center spot to prevent water from wicking into the structure and increasing the chance of a blister down the road.
Especially if "waiting until you have time to fix her" means a few months. :confused:
I've seen much worse go unattended for fairly long periods of time with little or no consequences - so don't go and panic based on what I've written here. I'm just giving my perspective.
I tend to get a little anal about that stuff. But as Murf opined, it's not a big deal. :cool:

Back