• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adhesive or Insulation Hangers for Egg Crate Engine Hatch?

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hi, I'm getting ready to replace my engine hatch 2 1/2" egg crate foam for my 2006 244 FourWinns. I'll be using new oem egg crate foam that is still currently being used by FourWinns. I'm looking for a good adhesive that has a great heat resistance that will grab and hold up over time. I've been in contact with 3M in which they recommended their Super Trim Adhesive 08090. After searching online, I found it anywhere from $28.00 to $42.00 for a 19oz. can. Here's the kicker.... According to my application, 3M stated that the adhesive requires three coats for each surface. I'll be replacing approx. 35 sq. ft. which requires approx. 14 cans.... Costing approx. $400.00... WoW!! I also asked 3M if they had a brushable type, they stated that they didn't. Brushable would be nice for at least the underside of the hatch.... I'm sure that's going to be a real P.I.A. to try to spray in the tight areas.
Other than that, I've seen insulation hangers w/ clips. Not sure how that would work out for 2 1/2" egg crate foam or if it's a good way to go. I don't have t worry about salt due to living in Michigan.
If you have had any experience with a great foam adhesive for this type of application and/or have used / installed the hanger type w/ clips, I would sincerely appreciate your time in giving me your input. I want to get this right the first time. Thank You. Ray

Hatch also has egg crate foam on both sides which is triangular shaped (not shown) Looking on the right side panel in the picture, it's shaped like that... approx. 18 x 30"

Hatch 1.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi, I'm getting ready to replace my engine hatch 2 1/2" egg crate foam for my 2006 244 FourWinns. I'll be using new oem egg crate foam that is still currently being used by FourWinns. I'm looking for a good adhesive that has a great heat resistance that will grab and hold up over time. I've been in contact with 3M in which they recommended their Super Trim Adhesive 08090. After searching online, I found it anywhere from $28.00 to $42.00 for a 19oz. can. Here's the kicker.... According to my application, 3M stated that the adhesive requires three coats for each surface. I'll be replacing approx. 35 sq. ft. which requires approx. 14 cans.... Costing approx. $400.00... WoW!! I also asked 3M if they had a brushable type, they stated that they didn't. Brushable would be nice for at least the underside of the hatch.... I'm sure that's going to be a real P.I.A. to try to spray in the tight areas.
Other than that, I've seen insulation hangers w/ clips. Not sure how that would work out for 2 1/2" egg crate foam or if it's a good way to go. I don't have t worry about salt due to living in Michigan.
If you have had any experience with a great foam adhesive for this type of application and/or have used / installed the hanger type w/ clips, I would sincerely appreciate your time in giving me your input. I want to get this right the first time. Thank You. Ray

Hatch also has egg crate foam on both sides which is triangular shaped (not shown) Looking on the right side panel in the picture, it's shaped like that... approx. 18 x 30"

View attachment 193721
As much of a PITA as it would be, removing the upper hatch would probably be the best way to install the new sound proofing. I updated the links in this post https://jetboaters.net/threads/fsh-210-soundproof.40102/#post-638039

Looks like this product requires two coats covering from 16-24 sq ft. at $20 per can.

Last edited:

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks.... Just jumped off of your post FSH 210 Soundproof.....LOL. You're right, my hatch would be a PITA to remove. It's pretty heavy and would probably take more than just a couple guys to handle it. There's storage compartments that are molded in behind the seats as well. About all I could do is remove the cushions. It looks like I'll be doing a lot of masking if I have to spray...... Thanks again for your input, appreciate it. Ray 👍

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks.... Just jumped off of your post FSH 210 Soundproof.....LOL. You're right, my hatch would be a PITA to remove. It's pretty heavy and would probably take more than just a couple guys to handle it. There's storage compartments that are molded in behind the seats as well. About all I could do is remove the cushions. It looks like I'll be doing a lot of masking if I have to spray...... Thanks again for your input, appreciate it. Ray 👍
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
3M 90 Spray is there recommended for foam on smooth poreless surfaces so thats what I used after applying my Kilmat. Only one coat on the each surface and its held for 2 years now without an issue. Only used half a can. I ordered from Amazon but saw walmart had it too. That one is banned for sale in California however.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
3M 90 Spray is there recommended for foam on smooth poreless surfaces so thats what I used after applying my Kilmat. Only one coat on the each surface and its held for 2 years now without an issue. Only used half a can. I ordered from Amazon but saw walmart had it too. That one is banned for sale in California however.
Thank you! That's awesome to know that the 3M 90 is performing well. Also, the application is a whole lot less. The 3M 08090 I mentioned in my OP I.M.O., is probably better for a non-poreless foam, rigid and/or rubber. I'll take a close look at the 3M 90 for sure. Thanks, appreciate it. Ray 👍

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think (?) there is a ca friendly version of the 3M 90, I could be wrong there but thought I saw it when I ordered a can of 3M 90 to use on my oem egg crate engine mat that had come undone.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I think (?) there is a ca friendly version of the 3M 90, I could be wrong there but thought I saw it when I ordered a can of 3M 90 to use on my oem egg crate engine mat that had come undone.
Yes they do 3M 90ca Here with the other Here 😊