• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 210 Soundproof

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I added sound shield to the engine compartment. I could not salvage the stock egg crate foam. Any suggestions on the best acoustic foam material to add to the compartment over the sound shield?

thank you

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've put sound deadening matting as well as foam on the engine compartment walls. I have yet to replace the egg crate foam on the engine hatch, although it is drooping a little and needs to be replaced. I had an idea to shove the old egg crate foam up in the engine bay cavity where the two drink holders are located. Thought that may help with some of the resonance. I will need to research a product solution for the engine hatch as well. Something fire resistant I would assume.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you. I will let you know if I find an aftermarket product

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you want to make the boat quiet get a set of Skat Trak impellers and you will decrease the cruising sound level by half. When I was testing different impellers I noticed the dramatic sound reduction with the Skat Traks, I used a DB meter and got the sound levels off of them, then ran the OEM impellers and the DB measurement for the Skat Traks was 3-4 DB’s lower than the OEM impellers. 3DB’s less is a halving of the perceived sound.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you are serious about sound suppression this is the way the big boys do it.

This material is rated at 19db of sound suppression. The push pins glue on with epoxy and will make sure you don’t end up with sagging material. I hadn’t really thought about doing this to my boat but after seeing this product I may remove the OEM egg crate material and install this material.

Last edited:

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hell yeah, thanks 210 sport! That looks like the right material for the application for sure.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hell yeah, thanks 210 sport! That looks like the right material for the application for sure.
I asked my friend Jim who worked on all kinds of boats (mainly large sport fishing yachts but also boats in our size class) for two decades what would be the best sound insulation and he pointed me to this material / system. At 19 Db reduction in theory is a 300% reduction in sound where the material is applied.

Jim said that they used to use West Systems G5 epoxy with a little micro fiber mixed in to thicken the material to secure the push pins. In places where it cannot be glued such as on starboard, use #8 screws to secure the push pin bases.

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I stripped off the old foam, and installed Dynamat extreme followed by Dynamat hood liner. A couple layers in the middle of the hatch. Also engine bay sides.

I didn’t take any sound measurements, but it’s a significant reduction. I can have conversations without shouting while at 6000rpm.

stripping the old adhesive required serious elbow grease and a fair amount of googone.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great job!

BigBlueJeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I stripped off the old foam, and installed Dynamat extreme followed by Dynamat hood liner. A couple layers in the middle of the hatch. Also engine bay sides.

I didn’t take any sound measurements, but it’s a significant reduction. I can have conversations without shouting while at 6000rpm.

stripping the old adhesive required serious elbow grease and a fair amount of googone.
Hi @Stubok Do you remember how much of each of these materials you used to had to order?

I'm getting ready to do mine over the holiday and will probably go this route. Removal is a pain. I recommend carb cleaner, its the same stuff as goo gone (acetone) but you can spray it on vs pouring it on a cloth. I used 2 large cans when I did mine.

Stubok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry for the slow response! It’s been a busy month.

I bought 2 of the hood liners. I bought a pack of extreme matt, I believe it was the 36sqft pack.

also I have a can of acetone, and I actually found the googone easier to work with.

Hi @Stubok Do you remember how much of each of these materials you used to had to order?

I'm getting ready to do mine over the holiday and will probably go this route. Removal is a pain. I recommend carb cleaner, its the same stuff as goo gone (acetone) but you can spray it on vs pouring it on a cloth. I used 2 large cans when I did mine.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought most of my materials from McMaster Carr. Lined the engine compartment, including the hatch bottom as well as the underside of fuel tank cover. Also stuffed the gunnels with foam and pillows. It took a lot of time, effort and money to all of this. If I could do it all over I would use the materials @FSH 210 Sport recommended, might as well go with the most highly rated product to avoid the second guessing and possible rework.

other considerations:
It’s not just sound / noise but vibration that needs to suppressed.

also increased noise and vibration contribute to driver/operator fatigue which can lead to shorter /less days on the water or worse errors/accidents.
AD91EC7B-C963-4FBF-A091-97C75222FED7.png28A3CD4E-0EAA-4470-94E8-77E5E00DE4BE.png

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If you are serious about sound suppression this is the way the big boys do it.

This material is rated at 19db of sound suppression. The push pins glue on with epoxy and will make sure you don’t end up with sagging material. I hadn’t really thought about doing this to my boat but after seeing this product I may remove the OEM egg crate material and install this material.

I'm getting ready to replace my engine hatch 2 1/2" egg crate foam for my 2006 244 FourWinns. I can get the same oem foam due to FourWinns still installing the same egg crate type foam. I'm open to other types along with trying to find a good way for installation. I came across your post and tried your links which are now unavailable on the Defender site. If you don't mind, would you please give me the name of the products you listed? I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Ray 👍 Also, I just placed a post on my current situation of my egg crate foam HERE

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Cap Ray You gotta love it when companies do a site make over and don‘t set up a re direct from the old pages.

I updated the links in my post #6 above. I’m pretty sure those are the same products as before.

I went through several of the pages, read the description of what comes in the box carefully as some products pictures don’t match with what comes in the box.

Be advised this material comes in different thicknesses, I’d be going with the 2” thick material wherever I could use it.

This mounting system is nice in that it comes with covers for the pins. I also like the idea of gluing and using pins to keep the material in place.

Looks like there are some different mounting kits, you’ll have to lay out the project to see how many pins are needed and how much adhesive is needed.

Pretty comprehensive installation instructions here:

There was another company my friend mentioned that had a thin layer of lead in the composite, I’ll have to ask him about that material again today.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Cap Ray You gotta love it when companies do a site make over and don‘t set up a re direct from the old pages.

I updated the links in my post #6 above. I’m pretty sure those are the same products as before.

I went through several of the pages, read the description of what comes in the box carefully as some products pictures don’t match with what comes in the box.

Be advised this material comes in different thicknesses, I’d be going with the 2” thick material wherever I could use it.

This mounting system is nice in that it comes with covers for the pins. I also like the idea of gluing and using pins to keep the material in place.

Looks like there are some different mounting kits, you’ll have to lay out the project to see how many pins are needed and how much adhesive is needed.

Pretty comprehensive installation instructions here:

There was another company my friend mentioned that had a thin layer of lead in the composite, I’ll have to ask him about that material again today.
Thank You for taking the time in getting me all the great information! I totally agree that web sites should do a redirect. I.M.O., It should not be all that difficult in writing the software. I really like the looks of that Sound Stop. I see it comes in 32 x 54, I wish it came in 36" instead of the 32". From back to front mine measures 36" exactly. If I was to go with that, I would probably add the difference towards the rear of the hatch. I would go for the 2" since my egg crate foam is 2 1/2". Trying to picture how it would look around the edges since it's squared off. As for the hangers and pins, the dome type caps look nice. I would like to use hangers no matter which foam I go with. You're right, the instructions are quite comprehensive. You have given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks again, appreciate you in taking the time in getting those links along with your input. 👍

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank You for taking the time in getting me all the great information! I totally agree that web sites should do a redirect. I.M.O., It should not be all that difficult in writing the software. I really like the looks of that Sound Stop. I see it comes in 32 x 54, I wish it came in 36" instead of the 32". From back to front mine measures 36" exactly. If I was to go with that, I would probably add the difference towards the rear of the hatch. I would go for the 2" since my egg crate foam is 2 1/2". Trying to picture how it would look around the edges since it's squared off. As for the hangers and pins, the dome type caps look nice. I would like to use hangers no matter which foam I go with. You're right, the instructions are quite comprehensive. You have given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks again, appreciate you in taking the time in getting those links along with your input. 👍
You are most welcome! And thank you for acknowledging my efforts! I like helping people !

I’d call them up and see if you can get the 36” width you are looking for. All they can say is no. I’d just give them a call anyway and talk to them about your project, they might have some advice that would be helpful. Perhaps you can stack layers for more insulation?? They could tell you if that juice was worth the squeeze.

I talked with my friend today and I asked him about the sound insulation with the lead sheeting in it and he said this was the place.

I did not dig into that site very much so can’t say which product if any would be suitable.

Please let us know how it all works out!

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
You are most welcome! And thank you for acknowledging my efforts! I like helping people !

I’d call them up and see if you can get the 36” width you are looking for. All they can say is no. I’d just give them a call anyway and talk to them about your project, they might have some advice that would be helpful. Perhaps you can stack layers for more insulation?? They could tell you if that juice was worth the squeeze.

I talked with my friend today and I asked him about the sound insulation with the lead sheeting in it and he said this was the place.

I did not dig into that site very much so can’t say which product if any would be suitable.

Please let us know how it all works out!
Your very welcome.... and Thank You for the link! That's a good idea about giving them a call. I did reach out to Soundowns marine division but, only by email. I'll give them a call directly to see about the width's along with squeezing some more information.....LOL. I checked out insultech to see what they had. They're big into insulation blankets which offer fantastic heat protection in and around engine compartments, exhaust systems, etc. For those with big jet boats and cabin cruisers surely would benefit from that company. For my install, all I have is on the underside of my hatch to deal with, thankfully. I'll definitely keep in touch here moving forward. Appreciate all your help!! Ray 👍

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I’d call them up and see if you can get the 36” width you are looking for.
I called Defender and asked if they had the Sound Stop in a different size other than 32" x 54" and they said no. I also called Soundown and talked to Georgeanne in FL, she very curtious & helpful. She stated that all of their Vinyl/Foam Composite insulation is cut at 4.5' x 6'. She added that I would want the 2" which is 2 lbs per sq. ft. shown HERE. One sheet is 27 sq. ft. at $318.00. I need approx. 35 sq. ft. which leaves me needing another 8 sq. ft. My application is 3' wide therefore, two pieces at 3' x 6' would have worked with very little waste giving me 36 sq. ft. Their sizing is basically due to shipping. She added, insulation hangers are needed with stainless steel pins due to being stronger for the weight. Aluminum pins have a tendency to bend with this composite. Plus, adhesive is needed overall along with taping over all of the exposed edges. Whew.....Holy Moly!! 😱 She's going to give me a quote according to my square footage. It looks like there would be a lot of waste but, we'll see. Should be interesting..... Thanks again. Ray

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Could you expand the area to utilize that extra ?