• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 210 Soundproof

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, nothing cheap is good and nothing good is cheap. If this all works out it will be well worth it.

Soundown seems like it may be the best choice. I mean if you’re going to do it, might as well do it the best you can. Did she mention what the Db reduction would be? I looked at the linked page and it doesn’t list any specs for Db reduction. I think the Defender stuff stated it was a 16 Db reduction?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you checked out the McMaster carr link I posted? They include decibel reduction information on their site and it will likely be less expensive.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just ordered the soundown 2" with the installation kit. I've been needing to replace my engine hatch foam and finally bit the bullet. I guess it came down to them offering an installation system with their product, i.e. hanging pins, tape, adhesive. Just about every piece of foam that's worth a shit is expensive, especially when it has a "Marine" Fire resistant rating. We will see how this works out, Thanks for the recommendations FSH 210:thumbsup:

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I look forward to seeing how this works out. If you can, post some pics of your progress. Sound deadening is something I'd like to pursue at some point on my 255....

Good luck.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well, nothing cheap is good and nothing good is cheap. If this all works out it will be well worth it.

Soundown seems like it may be the best choice. I mean if you’re going to do it, might as well do it the best you can. Did she mention what the Db reduction would be? I looked at the linked page and it doesn’t list any specs for Db reduction. I think the Defender stuff stated it was a 16 Db reduction?
Thanks.... Looks to be a good product for sure. She didn't mention what the Db's are but, it's their best one being 2". I couldn't find it on their web site either. On Defender, it does state 19Db's for the 1" therefore, 2" is probably in the 38Db's area or higher. Before I make any kind of decision, I have to remove the old egg crate and see what I'm dealing with on the underside of the hatch. I know it has some cavity's with a bigger one in the center. More than likely that's why the foam is all one piece. In addition, I'll have to find a good adhesive remover and then clean it thouroughly with alcohol. Once the weather warms up, I'll be digging into it. Thanks again, appreciate ya! 👍

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Have you checked out the McMaster carr link I posted? They include decibel reduction information on their site and it will likely be less expensive.
Thanks, I did check it out and it is less expensive than my OEM. Both sound absorbtion and temperature ranges are high especially in the 2" and 3" HERE. Egg crate foam has always proved itself as being an excellant sound absorber. I'm on the fence of replacing my OEM egg crate with egg crate or going with Soundown. Soundown is certainly a high quality product along with having an excellent FR. Once I remove my egg crate foam and see exactly what I'm dealing with will be my decision maker. Thanks again. 👍

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After a quick review of this thread I see @Frank Marshall was ahead of the curve with the sound down materials …. 👍🏼

Soundown offers this spec sheet.
27A7E482-3AA4-4EA1-BFD4-09826057DCEA.png
This same sheet is on Defenders website here: https://x.fortnine.ca/pdf/soundown/301872_data.pdf
So both of these places we have been talking about are the same materials….I just realized that. Sometimes I can be a tad thick ….

This screen shot is from Defenders website:
7AD9EC20-A56D-4F55-ACA1-2FC942C0B137.png

This / these are the least expensive foam deadening products and the easiest to install 😃. I use these ear plugs on a very regular basis when ever I use power tools in the shop or landscaping, running my tractor, riding dirt bikes or shooting.
815BCEB2-44AA-4C32-B0D3-D07FE22694AF.jpeg

But those take away from the person to person fun…. I’m all for the the products and processes we’ve been talking about! It’s on the list of things to do!

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks, I did check it out and it is less expensive than my OEM. Both sound absorbtion and temperature ranges are high especially in the 2" and 3" HERE. Egg crate foam has always proved itself as being an excellant sound absorber. I'm on the fence of replacing my OEM egg crate with egg crate or going with Soundown. Soundown is certainly a high quality product along with having an excellent FR. Once I remove my egg crate foam and see exactly what I'm dealing with will be my decision maker. Thanks again. 👍
The nice thing about the higher end products is the engine facing Mylar skin that doesn’t allow absorption of vapors and mists, and the surface is easy to clean without absorbing water. And I believe the Soundown material is self extinguishing.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The nice thing about the higher end products is the engine facing Mylar skin that doesn’t allow absorption of vapors and mists, and the surface is easy to clean without absorbing water. And I believe the Soundown material is self extinguishing.
Totally agree.... That surface would make it nice all around! Now where did I put those ear plugs...... Love it! 👍

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I ended up installing the Soundown i ordered from defender. The actual sheet measurement when received was 54.5"x33"x2" so they give you a bit extra than what they advertise. At least that's what I ended up with. Looking back, the 1 1/2" version would have been a better choice for the FSH. It fits fine and works, but is pretty tight to close the lid.
Soundown Sound-Stop Foam Panel with 1lb Barrier Layer | Defender

Also, ordered the installation kit. Which i wish i would have received stainless pins, but the aluminum worked out fine. I wouldn't even consider installing this foam without the mechanical Fastners. It is very heavy duty, with a thick gasket material sandwiched between the two pieces of foam.
Soundown 28/AC-AL Noise Reduction Installation Kit - NACAL | Defender

Old delaminated foam
20230210_181906.jpg20230210_183701.jpg
2" soundown, completely different league in quality from original.20230210_194458.jpg20230211_170934.jpg
Clean hatch20230211_191741.jpg20230211_194317.jpg20230212_143040.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks for posting !!

Did you happen to do a quick sound check in the driveway?

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for posting. Looks like a clean install - nice.

I hope there's a noticeable improvement in sound dampening.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't had a chance to fire it up. I will say that there is a a lot of stray noise when you're on the trailer vs in the water. The pumps and exhaust rattle a lot. I plan on changing the oil this weekend, ill crank them up to warm the oil and be able to report back.

Cap Ray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks for posting! Beautiful Job!! Well done! 👍😊

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't had a chance to fire it up. I will say that there is a a lot of stray noise when you're on the trailer vs in the water. The pumps and exhaust rattle a lot. I plan on changing the oil this weekend, ill crank them up to warm the oil and be able to report back.
Looks great! Any updates on the sound deadening? I'm thinking about going this same route

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I started the engines up last weekend, and i believe there is quite a difference between the OEM foam and the Soundown product. I really need to get the boat in the water to be able to tell how much a difference it really makes. Ive been itching to get out fishing, but been slammed at work and home lately. Ill report back when i get it in the water. I would go with the 1 1/4-1 1/2" thickness. The 2" is overkill in my opinion.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was able to get out last week. I definitely believe the soundown helped. I notice more of the sound coming from the aft swim deck portion of the boat now. I did stuff some of the old soundproofing material in the aft gunwale as well.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was able to get out last week. I definitely believe the soundown helped. I notice more of the sound coming from the aft swim deck portion of the boat now. I did stuff some of the old soundproofing material in the aft gunwale as well.
Was that sound from the aft swim deck area while you were cruising, sitting still or both?

The reason I ask is that I noticed a large difference in perceived noise when I was testing Skat Trak impellers, most noticeable was at best cruise, around 27-28 mph.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mostly at cruise, at idle it is pretty quiet. the major part of the sound is coming from the swim deck area, the only place I haven't installed any soundproofing. The sweet spot in rpm is 6600+, the low 6ks always have a droning sound that is hard to pair the throttles and get rid of. the throttle mods that I have done have been a game changer for this boat and allows me to marry the throttles very accurately.