• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fixing a collapsed exhaust hose outlet on a 165. Success!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
This is what happens when you OVERTIGHTEN CLAMPS! lol This is my exhaust hose outlet on my 165. Almost sank the boat! Luckily I heard the bilge kick in late August when I put her in the water. Was able to McGyver a solution then using clamps, silicone tape and some brute force. Didn't impede on boating season.

Well, I finally got the replacement parts today and went at it. Discovered I hard started to damage my resonator fittings too! I was able to reshape those with a heat gun. Removed the old hose outlet, cleaned up the 4200 and reinstalled the new one like a champ! Well, I think it was like a champ. Have yet to put it in water... lol Didn't even need the other extra parts I purchased in case I broke them along the way. Pretty happy to have this fixed and pretty proud of my work!
😃
Now, nobody be mean to me! ;)

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it breaks often, someone should make one out of aluminum as an after market option!

Glad you got it fixed.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
In this case, it was just me being stupid. I check clamps twice a year, and I guess with the plastic pipes, it's easy to overtighten gradually. After 4 years of tightening, I finally collapsed it. It always seemed "loose" lol. Now i know why.

I think you can get the resonator in aluminum now, but not sure about that outlet. But it's a simple enough part to manufacture for sure.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
So was it the screw on the hose clamp that failed, or was it the pipe itself? I'm guessing the latter.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The pipe because I over tightened the clamp. I kept tightening it each time I checked and bit by bit, it collapsed the pipe. As it did, it felt looser again so I would tighten some more. Eventually, water started coming in and I noticed the crease in the pipe.

There is a spec for tightening these, but I don't have a torque wrench that goes that low. I'm just doing it by feel. Maybe I should get one lol. But regardless, I'll be more careful now that's for sure.