• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fixing a John Deere 155c riding lawn mower <Riding lawn mowers>

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
progress,
@Speedling
Briggs model 445777 25 hp
I was able to get the starter to spin the engine,
I have the grounding kill wire disconnected from each coil,
I have sporadic spark on starboard cylinder (with spark checker) and if I take out the spark plug and spray fluid it will fire once or twice
I have no spark from the port cylinder

I checked both coils with the multimeter, one end in the plug holder, one end on the coil (the numbers jump all over but I can get a constant 5k ohms at some point) which according to my youtube friends appears to be ok

The fly wheel and coil both have surface rust on them, not sure if that's normal for a 10 year old mower or it could be affecting the spark,
Is there another reason why (another kill wire?) that may prevent it from sparking?

Coils are $50. each so I don't want to just guess at parts,

Any ideas

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pictue attached

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Did you just replace the spark plugs?

I am running out of general ideas. I may shoot this past my buddy who runs a repair shop and has 15ish years on small engine repairs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did purchase new spark plugs but it doesn't seem like on one cylinder I'm getting a consistent spark and the other any spark,

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is there a small electronic module with a halleffect sensor?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
check on homeowners insurance if it was part of the flood. I never use insurance but this might be a case where it warrants a replacement.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
she did claim it on her flood insurance, I'm just trying to revive it off the junk pile,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20160721_202442.jpg making some progress, two steps forward one back,

it needed two new coil/magnetos to fire,
I'm able to get it to fire and run if I jump it off the car and spray starter fluid down the breather,

unfortunately with all the in and out of the spark plugs a got lazy and tried to start one on the socket instead of by hand and believe I have cross threaded it.

The fuel pump won't pump,

it seems like the fuel shut off solenoid is not working now (it was clicking when I first started messing with the engine) so I'm hoping bypassing/fixing it that will break a log jam and let the fuel pump and carb work correctly.

I drained a little fuel (the tank only had 1/4 in it so I didn't think it had been compromised) and this is what it looks like,
The left is new gas, the right cloudy gas from the tank,

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
View attachment 42097 making some progress, two steps forward one back,

it needed two new coil/magnetos to fire,
I'm able to get it to fire and run if I jump it off the car and spray starter fluid down the breather,

unfortunately with all the in and out of the spark plugs a got lazy and tried to start one on the socket instead of by hand and believe I have cross threaded it.

The fuel pump won't pump,

it seems like the fuel shut off solenoid is not working now (it was clicking when I first started messing with the engine) so I'm hoping bypassing/fixing it that will break a log jam and let the fuel pump and carb work correctly.

I drained a little fuel (the tank only had 1/4 in it so I didn't think it had been compromised) and this is what it looks like,
The left is new gas, the right cloudy gas from the tank,
Ouch!
Just take it in steps and you will be all set. Just takes time.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
more progress, feeling hopefully optimistic!

used my Pela oil extractor and drained the fuel tank,

retapped my spark plug with this great little tool, took about 15 minutes, worth every penny,
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640811-Back-Tap-Thread-Repair/dp/B0014FGVVW

changed the oil and filter again with Cobra Jeff's trick of using ATF and after one change the oil looks good now,

starts easy, seems to run smooth,
It dies when you choke it and goes to about half RPM when you put it under load, either by driving or engaging the blades, it smokes noticeably black/brown under high RPM and will sporadically back fire,

I cleaned the carb bowl and float/jet but couldn't get to the butterfly's so I will be ordering a new carb in the next few days,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cutting grass this morning ✋✋20160806_113524.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the new carb made it run great, now to really invest some time and get it cleaned and greased up,

youtube has been a great help, lawmower.com and mygreentractor.com folks not so much,

makes me even more thankful for a jetboaters group to help with boat (and other stuff) issues!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That has got to be a great sense of accomplishment. Do you still have the hood?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes, the hood and all the parts, I just hadn't put it on yet as I was still a little nervous waiting for a big bang,

Took the mower deck off to check for cracks, the pulley bearings and sharpen the blades, everything looked good and reinstalled along with the all the engine cowling and hood,

It's parked in the garage waiting for the grass to get tall !! maybe I'll have to water a little extra this week,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally was able to cut the whole yard
It worked great until I had to give up the drivers seat

20160902_194925.jpg 20160902_194943.jpg

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember, It's not how fast you mow..... It's how well you mow fast!

I've been running behind my John Deere GS30 36" Walk behind for 12 years. They make a good product.

Buddy has about the biggest cub cadet with some solid shaft blah blah blah 50" deck yada....
My toro with the 22 hp upgraded engine 42" deck will mow waaaaay faster and cleaner with the mulch kit.

His is a tractor and pulls his small trailers around his shop and i won't dare try that with my toro.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Remember, It's not how fast you mow..... It's how well you mow fast!

I've been running behind my John Deere GS30 36" Walk behind for 12 years. They make a good product.
True enough!
The zero turn makes going around my bazillion trees fun and easy though. Not bashing a brand, just prefer a zero turn type myself after using pushers and tractors my whole life

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My last lawn mower just went off to college. Now I have to do it again. Enjoy the years when your babies run the tractor.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got it ready for the two month winter hiatus, changed the oil/filter again, sharpened the blades and greased the deck spindles, it appears this is going to be a keeper!