• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flushing engine cooling port stops

UnfixedPyle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Is it normal for the cooling port on the side of the boat to stop outflow of water after a while? I've only had the boat out 3 times and everything looks fine on the water, but when I run the engines at the house with the hose attached the water will flow fine and come out of the port for a while (1-2min) and then stop. Water pressure is the same the whole time. Is there a thermostat that shuts down the flow or do I have an issue?

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Is water coming out of the back of the boat by the jet pumps? Has to be coming out somewhere.

UnfixedPyle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Is water coming out of the back of the boat by the jet pumps? Has to be coming out somewhere.
Yes, it still comes out at the jet pumps, just stops coming out of the port(s) on the side.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The main water dump is through the thermostat it dumps back by the exhaust exit, which is also dumping water that cools the exhaust water chamber. If the stat closes is will not dump at the rear of boat and she would over heat. As for why the pisser would start then stop not sure...........well water or city......pressure can vary on an open line. The pisser line is water from the main line coming in from hose and it go's through the oil cooler and out the pisser lines this water does not go through the engine this cools the oil with cool water from the lake or hose.

When I use salt away the bottle lowers the pressure just enough the pisser lines stops but the salt away product is still flowing into engine and out the back 2 water dumps. Some flushing product is also reverse flowing and exiting out the jet pump drive wasting some of the engine flush product.

UnfixedPyle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The main water dump is through the thermostat it dumps back by the exhaust exit, which is also dumping water that cools the exhaust water chamber. If the stat closes is will not dump at the rear of boat and she would over heat. As for why the pisser would start then stop not sure...........well water or city......pressure can vary on an open line. The pisser line is water from the main line coming in from hose and it go's through the oil cooler and out the pisser lines this water does not go through the engine this cools the oil with cool water from the lake or hose.

When I use salt away the bottle lowers the pressure just enough the pisser lines stops but the salt away product is still flowing into engine and out the back 2 water dumps. Some flushing product is also reverse flowing and exiting out the jet pump drive wasting some of the engine flush product.
So it sounds like just a small drop in pressure will stop the flow from coming out of the port? I am on city water, seems like normal pressure to me but it could be changing. I know I can tell inside the house if multiple showers are going.
So is it ok to keep running the engine as long as it is dumping out by the jet nozzle /exhaust area?

UnfixedPyle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

So it sounds like just a small drop in pressure will stop the flow from coming out of the port? I am on city water, seems like normal pressure to me but it could be changing. I know I can tell inside the house if multiple showers are going.
So is it ok to keep running the engine as long as it is dumping out by the jet nozzle /exhaust area

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Behind the boat is the water exit for the exhaust and the Thermostat housing these 2 exits make up the most volume......... if it not getting enough water she will sound the overheat alarm...........not something you want to hear. Next time when she is on the hose look at the exits at the rear of the boat you will see the 2 exits one just above and next to the back of the jet drive. When the thermostat opens it will flow out this plastic vent. The exhaust will blow water no matter what water temp is.

If you look into the jet you will see water coming from the water pick up screen usually the impeller forces water up into the engine from this intake port but on the hose is reverse flows.(comes out) lowers the hose pressure into the engine.