• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flushing Saltaway or not?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
When I connect the salt-away dispenser, the water pressure is so low that it does not come out of the pee hole. so is it really going through all of the components?

I disconnect and put the hose straight and pees out of ALL 3 holes.

Should I even bother with the saltaway? I flush every time, right after I get home and give it a saltaway bath as well.

I have no issue on mine, maybe make sure that your dispenser is not defective? When you connect it to your garden hose to wash down boat, does it lose pressure?

I have no issue on mine, maybe make sure that your dispenser is not defective? When you connect it to your garden hose to wash down boat, does it lose pressure?
good question... i didn't even think of that i'll have to take a look.

But water will dissolve salt... eventually and for amount of time I am flushing, I feel like it is adequate?

Mine does the same, but water still going through engine. The overheat alarms never go off so I still use salt/away.

I've started to have this happen at my home and I think it had more to do with my city water pressure. Also one common thing I would do is I wouldn't open the outdoor water valve all the way. Now I'm sure to open it fully and it'll typically piss out of the engine pisser and at least one of the intercooler one's too.

Helps if no one is in the shower, or the washing machine isn't on lol.

good question... i didn't even think of that i'll have to take a look.

But water will dissolve salt... eventually and for amount of time I am flushing, I feel like it is adequate?

If you are like me and always boat in saltwater you may want to rethink not using salt away. Long read but you can scroll to the bottom for the Salt-Away results. Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Salt Neutralizers May studies have proved it's far more effective than water.

If you haven't installed tow/flush valves you may want to consider that. I cut off my valves and flush both engines at the same time, which I can't do with them open and still have water make it out of the pissers. It stops the water from going backwards out of the pump, pushing all flushing water to the engine and exhaust.

I flush with water first then salt-away for a total of about 15 minutes leaving some residue of it in the engine.

Adjust the water pressure regulator at your house to increase pressure.

If you are like me and always boat in saltwater you may want to rethink not using salt away. Long read but you can scroll to the bottom for the Salt-Away results. Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Salt Neutralizers May studies have proved it's far more effective than water.

If you haven't installed tow/flush valves you may want to consider that. I cut off my valves and flush both engines at the same time, which I can't do with them open and still have water make it out of the pissers. It stops the water from going backwards out of the pump, pushing all flushing water to the engine and exhaust.

I may consider this.

Adjust the water pressure regulator at your house to increase pressure.

the water pressure itself is fine...the mixer reduces the water flow so i don't see it coming out of the pisser

I used salt away in my driveway as well Jin. Yes the canister reduces some of the pressure but I’d bet your low on pressure at the spigot. Why not just adjust it up a few turns when you flush and then turn it back down if you don’t want the higher pressure all the time? In my experience it takes around 65-70 psi for good flow out the pissers, flushing with salt away or not.

I used salt away in my driveway as well Jin. Yes the canister reduces some of the pressure but I’d bet your low on pressure at the spigot. Why not just adjust it up a few turns when you flush and then turn it back down if you don’t want the higher pressure all the time? In my experience it takes around 65-70 psi for good flow out the pissers, flushing with salt away or not.
no adjustment that i know of
flows just fine on the hose
IMG_0563.JPG

As long as you have water coming out of the thermostat port, forget about the pissers.

When I connect the salt-away dispenser, the water pressure is so low that it does not come out of the pee hole. so is it really going through all of the components?

I disconnect and put the hose straight and pees out of ALL 3 holes.

Should I even bother with the saltaway? I flush every time, right after I get home and give it a saltaway bath as well.
Something's off with the mixer, it should not reduce the pressure at all.

I would say, it is absolutely worth it to use Salt Away in our yamahas, maybe not every time, and fresh water flush is better than no flush but the cooling system passages are so intricate in those boats, it is just not worth the risk. Even in freshwater some of these engines show a lot of buildup in the internal cooling passages.

Try it on on your hull sometime, I did - rinse one side off (from salt) with water only, and then use Salt Away on the other side. You will surprise yourself.

--

Back