• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flushing the engines

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I boat in salt water and will not be taking out our boat as a new lift will be put in this week. So I am wondering if you can flush the engines if the boat is still in the water or must it be on a trailer or lift to flush.
Thanks

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am pretty sure it needs to be out of the water. Here is an excellent video from @buckbuck that shows how cooling water flows to our engines from the pickup screen (which in your case will be sitting in saltwater):

You might want to look at some the mod posts from the members that installed shutoff valves near their Y fitting. Perhaps these posts mention the closing of the shutoff valve, while also flushing with fresh water.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. It dawn on me after I posted my question that it would have to be out of the water as the boat still moves forward when the engines are in neutral plus reving the engine just might move my dock to my neighbors yard and that would not be good

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I boat in salt water and will not be taking out our boat as a new lift will be put in this week. So I am wondering if you can flush the engines if the boat is still in the water or must it be on a trailer or lift to flush.
Thanks
You could clamp the incoming line in boat so water only comes from hose

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Installing the tow valves will bypass the intake below the boat and only accept water from the hose. I've been doing this for 9 years, using fresh water with Salt Away while sitting in salt water.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also keep our boat on a lift and do not find it difficult to flush the engines when the boat is sitting on the lift. [flag]

CaptainBarker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We put a small shut off valve on our charter boats to flush in water if needed. Just wrap the Lenard kill switch around the valve so you remember to open in back up. The "A" is where we put it..20210319_101802.jpg