• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

For those with the 1.8L engines - where do you buy your oil change kits?

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
For those who are doing a lot of oil changes, have you found the kits from JBP to be worth it? Or is it best to buy the pieces individually? I did a search for threads on this topic but didn't find much.

Also what about the pump and getting the oil out?

Is the oil change procedure for the naturally aspirated 1.8 the exact same as the supercharged one?

For those who are doing a lot of oil changes, have you found the kits from JBP to be worth it? Or is it best to buy the pieces individually? I did a search for threads on this topic but didn't find much.

Also what about the pump and getting the oil out?

Is the oil change procedure for the naturally aspirated 1.8 the exact same as the supercharged one?
This is what I get from Amazon when I do my oil change.
Yamaha OEM Oil Change Kit FX HO SHO SVHO FZR FZS VXR VXS GP1800 - LUB-WTRCG-KT-10 https://a.co/d/bHgGDwq

An oil extraction system like the one below is how I remove the oil. I believe the procedure is the same for NA bs SC
EWK 6.5L Manual Oil Extractor Change Pump for Automotive Fluids Vacuum Evacuation https://a.co/d/1hVBNJB

I do individual parts (well, I buy a name-brand filter, like a Fram and hybrid synth/real oil). Really just a matter of convenience and price. Some will point out that the Yamaha kit comes with the Yamaha oil which, they say, has magic goo in it. That said, I don't think anyone has had an engine break from not using it, and those who use the legit have had engines break anyway (so personally, I don't put much stock in the goo).

And the oil extractor is a must. I am on my 2nd (just from wear and tear). Lots of options and sizes there--can't really go too wrong; pick one you like. You put the tube down the dipstick tube, suck out the oil, refill as normal.

I myself after research.
- buy yamaha filters (metric threads)
- amsoil sythetic marine oil for pwc
I use to use klotz Marine pwc oil
My opinion is this the best I can do, so that is my program.
Many threads and forums on oil. Many opinions and greay options. This has been my personal preference.

- buy yamaha filters (metric threads)
Actually they're not metric, they're 3/4-16 threads. And they're really cheap $5 filters with crap media. Almost anything is better, even orange Fram filters are just as good.

Also "marine oil" is usually BS too...any high rev oil meeting specs is more than good enough, check the requirements. Yamalube is the cheapest oil you can buy. The only advantage of using Yamalube is for their "lifetime" warranty in the USA. But since the 1.8L engines last "forever" you don't need an oil warranty since the engines will generally not fail from oil use or abuse.

I use Fram toughguard filters and Castrol semi-synthetic "motorcyle" oil in 10w40. Works great and lubes the engines much better than Yamalube.
This is not speculation...it's fact. Check out Yamalube oil analysis compared to others...it's really cheap low grade stuff just like their filters. Buy better oil and filters for less and save your money for beer.
:)

Last edited:
I’ve bought kits direct from Yamaha, www.yamaha-motor.com. The price is same or less than anyone else I’ve found and my dealer gets credit for my purchase. I’d have to drive 1 hr plus to the nearest place to buy “local”. Historically the price goes up in mid August, so buy now if that is your plan.

I buy cheapest version of this pump on Amazon. I like this style without a resevoir so I can pump right into a disposable container, i.e. milk jug.

I did switch last year to no longer buying the kit. It saves some money, but it also lets you switch up the oil or filter which as @212s says is suspect in quality. I bought a case of 4 gallons of Yamaha oil on Amazon from whomever was the least expensive at the time. Amsoil and Royal Purple are very popular alternatives. Wix seems to be the popular choice for filters, but I’m frugal, couldn’t find the correct Fram; like Purolator (please hold the laughter), but they don’t seem to have a compatible filter; so I ended up with Motorcraft (which I admit is weird), it was well reviewed and recommended on Green Hulk pwc forums.

Still miss the paper funnel from the kit. :)

I buy the kits off of Amazon along with the required 8 spark plugs.

I buy my kits from Amazon too. I know that I'm paying more for the Yamaha kits but I feel more comfortable buying what they tell me to buy. In car engines I buy what's ever on sale but then again car engines don't sit at 7,000+ RPS for most of their lives. I'm out of my comfort zone with these engines. Maybe they do have the magic goo in their oil. Maybe they don't. But after 220 hours on my boat I haven't had any issues so I'm gonna keep going down this path.

Having said that, I haven't had any issues with our Taurus SHO with 125,000 miles and that's always gotten oil that's on sale.

Who knows!

Amazon or direct from Yamaha, generally the same price. Sure, I could save a couple bucks on other stuff, or buy a 'nicer' filter/oil - but none of that really matters to me. this oil gets used once a week at most for 5 months and then changed.

Amazon - I buy the oil/filter/plugs kit for what is now $88

For those who are doing a lot of oil changes

What is "a lot of oil changes" $50 annually for the kit is about as good as it gets. How often are you changing? And if more than annually, how many hours?

What is "a lot of oil changes" $50 annually for the kit is about as good as it gets. How often are you changing? And if more than annually, how many hours?

I do mine every 100 hours.... which can be a single month during busy season. I usually do 4-5 a year.

I do mine every 100 hours.... which can be a single month during busy season. I usually do 4-5 a year.
400-500 hours on that rental FSH boat a year? That's amazing! How are those 1.8l holding up after what, 1500+ hours now??

400-500 hours on that rental FSH boat a year? That's amazing! How are those 1.8l holding up after what, 1500+ hours now??

I am close to 800 I think now. Saying that I may be closer to 3-4 a year. With the 252 I feel like I am always ordering the kits lol. It's been going strong, *knock on wood*, including the guy that pretty much sank the boat a few weeks ago.

I am close to 800 I think now. Saying that I may be closer to 3-4 a year. With the 252 I feel like I am always ordering the kits lol. It's been going strong, *knock on wood*, including the guy that pretty much sank the boat a few weeks ago.
I've got 215 hours on my 2020 1.8L motors now and they've been fantastic. I try to keep out of WOT and run in the 6-6.5k RPMs if possible. Good to ready I'm at just 25% of known life :)

I've got 215 hours on my 2020 1.8L motors now and they've been fantastic. I try to keep out of WOT and run in the 6-6.5k RPMs if possible. Good to ready I'm at just 25% of known life :)

There are rental skis out there with a few thousand hours. I don't think any personally used boat will get to a point of rebuild (if well maintained).

Amazing. Hours used is a relative term for sure!

When someone questions durability in conjunction with a maintenance routine, it confirms that we are going to the right resource for answers. wow.

I think I looked at my hours on our 2011 and it may be 350 or so. It makes me sad when I see boats go up for sale with under 50 hours or less on them. I realize, they just didn't get used.

I buy the kits from the dealer, they are the same price $47ish as everywhere else and it's further proof on record that I have done my oil changes.

Back