• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Forum emails are being blocked by RoadRunner, Time Warner Cable, Spectrum and Charter

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For some time all emails sent from our forum server have been blocked by this group of ISPs.

This is an example log entry

Code:
Aug 12 14:36:58 JetBoaters postfix/smtp[7212]: 0ABC1169AB3: host dnvrco-cmedge01.email.rr.com[69.134.155.135] refused to talk to me: 554 dnvrco-cmimta10 esmtp ESMTP server not available AUP#I-1000
Aug 12 14:36:58 JetBoaters postfix/smtp[7212]: 0ABC1169AB3: to=<REDACTED@wi.rr.com>, relay=dnvrco-cmedge02.email.rr.com[69.134.155.136]:25, delay=412146, delays=412146/0.01/0.4/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host dnvrco-cmedge02.email.rr.com[69.134.155.136] refused to talk to me: 554 dnvrco-cmimta16 esmtp ESMTP server not available AUP#I-1000)
This action by Charter and its subsidiaries is preventing legitimate communications from our forum. When potential members from these ISPs sign up they do not receive the account confirmation email so they are unable to join. Existing members are not receiving requested notifications from the forum.

Our forum does not send any illegitimate or unsolicited email.

I have attempted to contact the postmaster at each of these ISPs without response.

I have chatted with company representatives through Facebook who "escalated" the issue but it has not been resolved.

At least three forum members who have Road Runner accounts have reached out to Road Runner without success.

It is unreasonable for Charter and its subsidiaries to precent legitimate communications.

If anyone happens to work at or have high level contacts inside these companies I would appreciate assistance in escalating this inside Charter.

Thank you

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce, I have a lot of experience in this area (you may also, i do not know). There are some other things we could do to get mail delivered if the ISPs aren't helpful. Send me a PM if I can be of assistance.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Scottie, I have managed SMTP servers consistently since ‘95 but have not been in the ISP role for the last few decades. We have SPF sand DKIM configured which is sufficient to verify legitimacy with most ISPs.

This action by Charter is not targeting us directly it is targeting all email coming from our ISP (DigitalOcean). I could move the server to resolve the issue but we have five years of good experience with DO so I am reluctant to do so.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Understood. Sounds like you have it covered. And you're right of course, not much else you can do. A DMARC record might help, but in my experience if SPF and DKIM are not enough, then DMARC won't make any difference either.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was able to open a ticket with Spectrum's NOC who I understand to be working on the issue.
Best resolution is to file a FCC compliant. They typically tend to get a lot of attention.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If any Spectrum, TWC, RR or Charter customers would like to raise the email deliverability issue I believe this would be a good venue to do so.