• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

From an AR195 to a 212X? Help..

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi all. I hope this post finds you all healthy and without fevers. I am contemplating the jump from our 2019 AR195 to a 2020 212X. Wondering if anyone else made this jump as well. We really enjoyed the AR195. Excellent boat but definitely harder to do some things out of and it always seems like we have 2 families in the boat when we are out.

I guess my question is...any idea of the jump in gas bill from 1 summer to the next? Things you noticed that I might not be thinking about?

I have the space in my shop and I have a Tundra so no issues pulling the boat. We are usually on some big water but occasionally see some smaller lakes.

Yamadale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all. I hope this post finds you all healthy and without fevers. I am contemplating the jump from our 2019 AR195 to a 2020 212X. Wondering if anyone else made this jump as well. We really enjoyed the AR195. Excellent boat but definitely harder to do some things out of and it always seems like we have 2 families in the boat when we are out.

I guess my question is...any idea of the jump in gas bill from 1 summer to the next? Things you noticed that I might not be thinking about?

I have the space in my shop and I have a Tundra so no issues pulling the boat. We are usually on some big water but occasionally see some smaller lakes.
Do it! Your 195 is a perfect family boat. But the 212X would fit multiple family lifestyle a lot better. As far as your expected cost you are looking at
twice the maintenance cost every year (Twin engine)
Twice the fuel cost On every outing maybe a little bit less but she will definitely burn up fuel(Twin engine)
Additional towing fuel costs and larger Tow vehicle required.
And a slightly larger Sticker price.

But with that said it’s definitely worth it because you are already burning fuel,towing the boat,and

You almost cannot put a price on being happy and satisfied with a stress free day Out on the water.
Plus have the added security and safety feeling of a secondary or back up motor to help limp you back to the dock if one motor stops running.

I have found a few cons to the twin engine motor is
The wake he has more jettwash then a single engine motor
In heavy chop if either port or starboard motor is exposed out of the water you will hear when it happens
Anyways I have an AR 190 and have often thought about upgrading to the 210. I always revert back to how little my boat costs right now, how little gas I burn when I do run it. I can tow it with almost any vehicle!

But if space is a concern I would definitely upgrade good luck let me know what you do.

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My Tundra gets 12 mpg whether I tow my AR195 or my buddy's 24' Crownline. 3,000 lbs or 4500 lbs. It doesn't seem to matter. I pull a 17' decoy trailer around all fall and average 12 as well and I am not sure that thing weighs 2500 lbs.

Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to more.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you have 2 families worth of people typically on the boat you may want to just skip to the 240 series. There is not a huge difference in size from 19' to 21' and the bigger boat will handle bigger waters better. Plenty of lightly used 242X boats out there for similar price of a new 21'. My .02

As far as fuel bill goes the larger boats have a larger gas tank so initial fill-up will cost more but the N/A 1.8 engines are more fuel efficient than the single Supercharged 1.8.