• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

From Japan to Hawaii

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My time in Japan will end on the 29th and I've set it up for my family to meet me in Hawaii for a week on my way home. We'll be on Oahu (Waikiki resort).

Aside from Pearl Harbor of course ...any MUST DO things that might not be obvious?

It's expensive already and our first time there so I don't see us branching out to any of the other islands.

Looking forward to spam at breakfast every morning!

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Drive along the north shore, this time of year the waves should be pretty large. Also, along the north shore there are plenty of shrimp trucks/shacks to stop at and get a bite to eat.
The wife and I found the Polynesian Cultural Center very interesting, http://www.polynesia.com/
Climbing to the top of Diamond Head was a fun challenge, http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parks/oahu/Index.cfm?park_id=15
Walk up and down Waikiki Beach, especially the southern end, lots of monuments and interesting plants/trees to see.
The Dole plantation and maze is an enjoyable visit, http://www.dole-plantation.com/

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree w/Andy.

North shore, Waikiki beach, diamond head. We didn't do the plantation tour, but heard it was really cool

I can't remember the name, but we also hiked out to the farthest northwest point of the island...was a fun hike and there were plenty of animals and cool views on the way

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree as well. Get out of Waikiki, Hanauma Bay for snorkelling , North Shore. Driving around the island is a nice day trip. If you are renting a car check out discount Hawaii car rentals for good rates from the major suppliers. If you are thinking about a car rental for your entire stay check into parking fees. In Waikiki they can be more than the car rental.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you do end up at Waikiki park at the zoo. It's $1 for 2 to 4 hours, can't remember which but I was just there in June.

Since you are from Florida you can probably already do most if not all of the water related activities that are available in HI so it's hard to make recommendations on that front.

One thing that you may find interesting is the Swap Meet (aka Flea Market) at Aloha Stadium (I believe this is where the NFL Pro Bowl is played), it is across the street from the Arizona Memorial and I was told that it attracts a lot of foreign tourists. It is open on weekends and Wednesdays only or at least it was in June. Give your self at least two hours to walk the entire site.

On the Arizona Memorial you may be better off having someone drive in early for the tickets which will likely be for a tour a few hours later. Also if you want a luau where the pig is cooked in and served next to pit, the Polynesian Cultural Center doesn't offer that but there is a place that does next to Disney's resort for the same price, it's about 40 minutes outside of Waikiki. Also in that direction is Turtle Bay which is a nice place to eat and swim, possibly with sea turtles.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It has been 5 years since we where at the Polynesian Culture Center but when we were there they did have a luau pig roast that the wife and I enjoyed. One thing they served at the luau was poi bread which is hard to eat at first since it is purple but once you get past the odd color the bread was tasty.

The Arizona memorial tickets are issued based on departure time off the shuttle boat that takes you to the memorial. We went during the middle of the week, arrived around 9am and got tickets for a 10:15am shuttle. While waiting for your shuttle there is plenty to see and read about to pass the time. Also if you end up with a long wait there is a deisel submarine you can go through.

Something else to do is go to Chinatown and walk around, it is located in the northern end of Honolulu.

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Helicopter tour is a must on any of the islands!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention that whenever we go there my wife makes it a point to stop by Hilo Haiti for better quality souvenirs from the islands. Waimeia Falls is on the Northern side of the island in a botanical garden that they charge a small fee to visit but if you want to swim next to and possibly jump off of a water fall this is the place to do it. Don't forget to try the shaved ice. If you make it to the dole plantation try the pineapple ice cream out and don't pay too much for spam. Zippys seems to be their fast food restaurant for local food but they serve spam at mcdonalds there. Also, you seem to be a seasoned traveler but just in case try to check into your hotel before you start to sight see, I've heard many stories about visitor's rental cars being broken into while they were sight seeing and waiting for to check into their hotels, leaving the victims with nothing but the clothes on their backs and the contents in their pockets. if you find a spot on waikiki beach and it starts to rain unexpectedly, don't run for shelter right away. do what the locals do, hang out, wait for the beach to clear a little and find a better spot on it, most of those showers only last a few minutes, some times seconds. I've never been on a heli tour in HI but looked into it when we were on the big island in June. They suggest you book at least three days in advance and prices were $300 per person for a 2 hour tour and close to $500 for a 4 hour tour plus 25% of the tour price for fuel before the tip, if any. We will be doing that the next time we visit there now that the sticker shock has passed and we have the knowledge and time to budget for that excursion.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Awesome info, thanks folks...Keep it coming if you think of anything else.

SO looking forward to this after a month of trying to train someone who barely speaks your language. Great folks here though.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Macadamia nut pancakes. I don't know of where to get them on Oahu, but the ones I've had in Maui were awesome!!! Have fun.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This one of the funniest uses of spam we saw while Hawaii. I brought a couple of cans home because I knew no one believe me without see proof. I actually thought they were pretty good, the wife did not like them.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Spam and eggs! So the best breakfast place on Oahu is Eggs n Things! Plan on standing in line, and early is better! But it is worth the wait and it is a locals place, but the flight crews all make the walk down and have been doing so for the 26 years I have been at AA, and I am sure other airline crews know about it too. It is very inexpensive compared to most places in hawaii, and good home cooked food!https://www.eggsnthings.com
Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 10.25.45 AM.png
If your into a little exercise, either a run or walk from the waikiki hotel to and up Diamondhead is a great activity. No trip to waikiki is complete without finding the martini bar tucked away on the second floor of the Hyatt...cheap! Tell them your flight crew and they are $5 each! Try not to pass the kids off unless they are 21! lol Take a surf lesson on waikiki, it is about the best place in the world to learn, flat long rollers that are pretty easy to get up on. Anytime I am on Maui or Oahu, I make a point to stop at the Tori Richard shop to see if there are any new patterns in Hawaiian shirts I am missing! The cotton luan is a spectacular fabric and I have shirts over 10 years old still in operation. I gave up on the rayon and silk versions years ago, they don't breath or travel well IMO. There is a kiosk in the Marriott lobby that sells them, and she may offer an airline discount as well. The cotton luan is $88 each generally retail, and I have had them give me 20% off routinely, but on Maui, the shop in the Maui Coast lobby always lets me have them for $56 each! If your into sushi, the California Rock n Roll Sushi is again, an inexpensive place to enjoy well prepared and delicious sushi. Teddy's Bigger Burgers for shakes, burgers, fries, dogs, etc...excellent and inexpensive!
Waikiki Grand Hotel, 134 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815

These food establishments are treasure finds that crews have haunted for years, because they are inexpensive and great food. They are not the pricy beachside places that your paying for the tourist ambiance. And it is always a treat to stand in front of the Duke Kahanamoku Statue on Waikiki Beach and have your live video image (has a delay) beamed to your friends and neighbors holding a jetboaters.net football or wearing your swag! It also is a windows media player image, so without a plug in, mac users may have issues... http://www1.honolulu.gov/multimed/waikiki.asp
We sure have enjoyed your Japan trip, thanks for taking us with you! Looking forward to a pic of your crew up on diamond head!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This one of the funniest uses of spam we saw while Hawaii. I brought a couple of cans home because I knew no one believe me without see proof. I actually thought they were pretty good, the wife did not like them.

"CLASSIC FLAVOR!" :D:D:D

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would not miss having at least one meal at Marukane Udon on Kuhio ave. Love this place. Inexpensive Hawaiian/Japanese cafeteria style place. Several different types of udon, tempura, musubi +fried chicken and thats about it. This is a local favourite so line ups are the norm at lunch and dinner. Off hours are better

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Spam and eggs! So the best breakfast place on Oahu is Eggs n Things! Plan on standing in line, and early is better! But it is worth the wait and it is a locals place, but the flight crews all make the walk down and have been doing so for the 26 years I have been at AA, and I am sure other airline crews know about it too. It is very inexpensive compared to most places in hawaii, and good home cooked food!https://www.eggsnthings.com
View attachment 14875
If your into a little exercise, either a run or walk from the waikiki hotel to and up Diamondhead is a great activity. No trip to waikiki is complete without finding the martini bar tucked away on the second floor of the Hyatt...cheap! Tell them your flight crew and they are $5 each! Try not to pass the kids off unless they are 21! lol Take a surf lesson on waikiki, it is about the best place in the world to learn, flat long rollers that are pretty easy to get up on. Anytime I am on Maui or Oahu, I make a point to stop at the Tori Richard shop to see if there are any new patterns in Hawaiian shirts I am missing! The cotton luan is a spectacular fabric and I have shirts over 10 years old still in operation. I gave up on the rayon and silk versions years ago, they don't breath or travel well IMO. There is a kiosk in the Marriott lobby that sells them, and she may offer an airline discount as well. The cotton luan is $88 each generally retail, and I have had them give me 20% off routinely, but on Maui, the shop in the Maui Coast lobby always lets me have them for $56 each! If your into sushi, the California Rock n Roll Sushi is again, an inexpensive place to enjoy well prepared and delicious sushi. Teddy's Bigger Burgers for shakes, burgers, fries, dogs, etc...excellent and inexpensive!
Waikiki Grand Hotel, 134 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815

These food establishments are treasure finds that crews have haunted for years, because they are inexpensive and great food. They are not the pricy beachside places that your paying for the tourist ambiance. And it is always a treat to stand in front of the Duke Kahanamoku Statue on Waikiki Beach and have your live video image (has a delay) beamed to your friends and neighbors holding a jetboaters.net football or wearing your swag! It also is a windows media player image, so without a plug in, mac users may have issues... http://www1.honolulu.gov/multimed/waikiki.asp
We sure have enjoyed your Japan trip, thanks for taking us with you! Looking forward to a pic of your crew up on diamond head!
This is great, we're staying at the Hilton Hawaiian village seen on your map. My daughter (17) is definitely looking forward to surf lessons.

Thanks Mel, I'll definitely post up pics. About to update the Japanese thread with my pics from Hiroshima yesterday.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/mcas-iwakuni-japan.4049/

Last edited:

lddv1224

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahhhh Hawaii. I wish I could go back and experience as am now and not as a 21 yo Marine who just spent 6 months on a west pac. For some reason I can't recall to much of my 3 days in Hawaii when I was 21. My only memory was a couple of buddy's and I went snorkeling. I think I was still a little drunk at the time

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ahhhh Hawaii. I wish I could go back and experience as am now and not as a 21 yo Marine who just spent the last 6 months on a west pac. For some reason I can't recall to much of my 3 days in Hawaii when I was 21. My only memory was a couple of buddy's and I went snorkeling. I think I was still a little drunk at the time

HAHA....I remember (OR rather Remember that I can't remember) some of that sort of stuff myself.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Made it to Wikikki...yesterday .
Took a cab from the base to the train station
local trail to Hiroshima (about 15 stops on the way)
bullet train to Osaka
Local train to Kinsai Airport.
Airport tram to teminal
Flight to Hawaii
Shuttle to car rental place.
rental car to hotel.
Geeze, I've been in more vehicles than a red headed hooker on a Saturday night.
Family made it in about 5pm. The flight from Florida was longer than mine from Japan. The time change was brutal on us all. Even though we were going opposite directions, we both went back in time since I crossed the international dateline.
We all managed to stay awake until 8pm after a couple beers at dinner.....
Let the decompressing begin.