• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

from Sea Ray to AR210

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys new to the forum, hoping to get an AR210 in the next few weeks. I'm looking at buying a 2012 model. I currently have a 05 Sea Ray 200 sport inboard/outboard. I live in southeast TX near the salt water and that is mainly were the boat will be used. I do not mind doing maintenance at all, just want to know what all I can expect to do to the jet boat VS my Sea Ray. I hear the jet boats are actually better for salt than my inboard/outboard Sea Ray. Would love to hear you guys thoughts. Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi, welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!!

Have you driven a jet boat before? Just like a jet ski just bigger (and dryer). They don't perform like an I/O and need some getting used to at low speed steering. Once you master that you got it made. As far as salt water use, I've never heard of jets being better. You'll still need to flush each engine after every use; that's a must (but you already know that). These jet boats get on plane very quickly, turn on a dime and can operate in very shallow water. Best of all there is no prop (below the boat). Very safe for pulling activities (just watch for the rope - it could get sucked in!).

Lot of great info here with very knowledgeable people to help keep you on the water. Thank you for signing up. Oh yeah, we love pictures. Post many!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe better in that maintenance is simpler? I/O is quite complex, vs the jet drive, but I have been surprised at how reliable my inlaws Mercruiser is. Only a few issues in 6 years. In salt water with powerful Marine life, the counter rotation i/os can be hell on Earth.

Jet is awesomely simple, but different. Be sure to test drive so you know what you are getting.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Be sure to test drive so you know what you are getting.
This is a must! I almost bailed (out of the deal) on mine. Could not dock the boat to save my life. Was only used to I/Os. But, I didn't want to deal with the shallow waters where I live so I push on. Thank God I did. Now, I would never go back (to I/O). Having too much fun!!!

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is probably my main worry not being able to dock up so good , or put the boat back on the trailer. Don't want to look like a total squid but I guess it's something that everyone has to get used to. I guess the thrust vectors will help with some of this? I like the ability of being able to go in shallower water in the jet boat though.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is probably my main worry not being able to dock up so good , or put the boat back on the trailer. Don't want to look like a total squid but I guess it's something that everyone has to get used to. I guess the thrust vectors will help with some of this? I like the ability of being able to go in shallower water in the jet boat though.
With a bit of practice you will be able to turn a jet boat on a dime and park it anywhere inside the most unforgiving docks. I would strongly consider Cobras before TVs, but I'd start stock to get some experience.

That aside, jet drives in Yamaha (not o/b) are fantastically simple, efficient, and easy to maintain but not without issues. Wet slipping in salt is not a great option. Flushing engines and cleanup is twice as much work after every outing, say compared to o/b (or i/o albeit I never owned one).
If you have a lot of Sargasso or other algae - jets are probably not the best propulsion type for you!

If i were in salt and NOT doing water sports/kids activities all the time - it would be o/b time for me for sure.

--

MacAR210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems like I narrowed down my choices between the 2012-2015 years. Those seem like the right choice because of the newer design started in 12, plus budget wise they seem fair and not too big a bit to the wallet like the brand new ones. Any differences between the 12 and 15? None I can really tell initially.