• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Front table floor plate loose

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the title states the plate in the floor is loose and I would like to remove it and reinstall with sealer but I can see no way to get to the self looking nuts under the deck. Has anyone found a way to do this?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You will need to remove the fuel tank hatch to gain access to those. Those bolts have some factory sealant on them and are notorious for breaking off. I was lucky. I used a #4 square bit, a hammer to set the bit and they backed out with the same motion that you would use to cut threads with a tap or die. And then you will be able to see why it is loose, maybe a bad balsa wood core?

20170515_142229_001.jpg

20170515_142506_001-1.jpg

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately that hatch does not exist on my boat, the only hatch I have is to access the fuel pumps. The deck is soft around the plate and from what I'm seeing I will need to cut the deck out to fix it.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh crap, I forgot your layout was different. Maybe you could drill the heads off. The rest of the bolt/nut may stay on the tank until you can get the leg holder off where you may be able to reach them after, thru the hole in the deck. The question is... how do you gain access to tighten them back up after repair?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went through that same issue...it is a known problem with the early boats.

There are a couple of threads on the forum where guys did it themselves. I opted to pay someone, my floor is now reinforced with aluminum plating.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can someone measure the fuel tank hatch on a newer (2007-2009) 23’ boat for me? I have the opertunity to buy a hatch and am thinking about cutting my deck out do to it being very soft and modifying my boat to make the newer style hatch fit into it.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can someone measure the fuel tank hatch on a newer (2007-2009) 23’ boat for me? I have the opertunity to buy a hatch and am thinking about cutting my deck out do to it being very soft and modifying my boat to make the newer style hatch fit into it.
Measured this am. Just be aware that a connected gutter system exists under the ski locker and fuel hatches, leading to the scupper inlet at the front of engine compartment. Which works to remove water from the cockpit sole when pitched correctly.

54.75" x 30.12"
20190826_084126.jpg

20190826_084324.jpg

This picture taken 2 years ago, for reference, showing whats beneath. Before it was cleaned and a new seal installed.

20170515_143914.jpg

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same model & year boat as you. An alternative method is to slide a sawzall blade between the deck and mount to cut all bolts. This would expose the mounting hole allowing you cut a slightly larger hole to probe the deck below. You may be able to get away with cutting out and replacing a much smaller section than the size of the fuel tank.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
281EB335-71CC-4672-AAC5-8029947C0F5A.jpeg
Thanks for the quick response, what I was thinking was if the newer hatch was the same size as the area inside the indentation in my deck I could cut that portion out and modify my deck so that it fit. I could tell by looking at your
pictures that was not the case, the area on mine measures 44 7/8 x 26 1/4.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the wood core replaced with aluminum and then glassed over. Knowing that I was putting seadek on meant I didn't have to have the pebbled texture matched up. They also welded nuts to the other side of the aluminum plate so that my table mount can be unscrewed from above deck.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an 06 sx ho and thought the table mounts were secured with screws not bolts. @Brad_Ct , have you verified that you at dealing with nuts and bolts not screws?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had an 06 sx ho and thought the table mounts were secured with screws not bolts. @Brad_Ct , have you verified that you at dealing with nuts and bolts not screws?
It is bolted with nuts on the underside