• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ft Myers to the Keys by boat

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey all, Just looking at the maps trying to get a good idea of travel time. We are visiting family this June in Ft Myers, and they want me to bring the boat. I don't mind taking it, just trying to get an idea of times. What about Ft Myers to Sanibel Island. Any particular places to avoid? Thanks

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ft Myers to Captiva / Sanibel Island can be an awful long trip depending on where you're dropping in, and what day you're going out. If you drop in in Ft. Myers Near the Sanibel Causeway You have a 1 mile, 3 minute ride to the Gulf. If you're dropping into the upper river, you'll need to pass through the manatee slow speed zones and the miserable mile. It could take an hour to get to the gulf. If you go over the causeway to Sanibel and use the first boat ramp on the left, its $20 fee. Not sure what the Ft Myers boat ramp fee is. Hope this helps.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Just following this thread, we are staying in Cape Coral in July and plan on boating to Sanibel and Captiva.

Watch some videos on YouTube, apparently the markers change sides in part of the river and then change back. And apparently many get confused about where exactly the miserable mile starts and stops. Found a real estate agent who had a video that talks about it in detail. Slow zones are what they are. We plan on just enjoying the views! I guess if you live there and do it a lot it could be irritating, like getting stuck behind a little old lady on the road!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was trying to book a trip to that area this summer but couldnt find the accomadations i wanted. Specifically i was looking at staying on pine island. Additionally, i am interested in this mile from hell you are speaking of. So if i were to stay in the cape coral area and wanted to boat to sanibel via the caloosahatchee river then i would enconter this slow zone?

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m south of Ft Myers and the East side of Estero Island is all no wake north of Big Carlos Pass until you reach the North end of the island.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I was trying to book a trip to that area this summer but couldnt find the accomadations i wanted. Specifically i was looking at staying on pine island. Additionally, i am interested in this mile from hell you are speaking of. So if i were to stay in the cape coral area and wanted to boat to sanibel via the caloosahatchee river then i would enconter this slow zone?
I found this place on Pine Island when I was looking for our Cape Coral trip. It’s pretty nice!

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
A lot of good info here... thanks guys!!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I found this place on Pine Island when I was looking for our Cape Coral trip. It’s pretty nice!
Thats funny. I opened the link and it was already a favorite from when i was researching. Thats a nice place, hard to find a 4 bedroom and easy access to the bay in that area.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That Pine Island house is an easy ride!

Mdoiron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got back from there over Easter Weekend and boated every day. Yes, intercoastal is tricky and you're best to have a good plotter or map to gauge what side which color buoy goes as it does switch. Do Cayo Costa and Pelican Pass. The Gulf side of Sanibel and anchoring off the beach is also worth it.

Your original question about Fort Myers to the Keys.... I've never done it but I'm not sure I'd venture that far out on our boats. I would definitely trailer it there though.

LauraSurferGal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Just following this thread, we are staying in Cape Coral in July and plan on boating to Sanibel and Captiva.

Watch some videos on YouTube, apparently the markers change sides in part of the river and then change back. And apparently many get confused about where exactly the miserable mile starts and stops. Found a real estate agent who had a video that talks about it in detail. Slow zones are what they are. We plan on just enjoying the views! I guess if you live there and do it a lot it could be irritating, like getting stuck behind a little old lady on the road!
I live in Cape Coral and it takes me about 1/2 hour to get from Matlacha down to Sanibel. The longest part of the full trip is through the canal system b/c you have to go slow!

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I live in Cape Coral and it takes me about 1/2 hour to get from Matlacha down to Sanibel. The longest part of the full trip is through the canal system b/c you have to go slow!
I'm jealous, I want some Blue Dog right now. That place is fucking awesome,!!!

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'm jealous, I want some Blue Dog right now. That place is fucking awesome,!!!
We go to Micelli's all the time but never been to Blue Dog..... going to have to check that one out.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
How long would it take to get from Cape Coral to the Keys by way of Yamaha?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have wondered that myself........ from Cape Coral to Key West it is about 120 nautical miles. Figure slightly shorter or slightly longer to some of the other islands.

If you could average 30 knots, it would take you about 4 hours depending on conditions. The Key West Express takes about 3 1/2 hours out of Ft Myers Beach depending on conditions running 30 knots so my math is probably pretty close.

My 275SD is supposed to get a top range jus above that speed so theoretically I should be able to get 150 on a tank.... but I would be tempted to stop at Marco to top off depending on how the fuel is looking.

That would be a cool run to make..... but I'm not sure I'd have the stones to do it.... at least being the only boat. The time to do it would be the dry season in the winter when storms are minimal and winds tend to be calmer.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Look at Bimini trip threads, it’s less than 60 miles and when weather turn bad they run out of fuel. 90 miles with perfect glassy water condition it’s doable but I wouldn’t try it without at least 60 extra gallon of fuel lol

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Look at Bimini trip threads, it’s less than 60 miles and when weather turn bad they run out of fuel. 90 miles with perfect glassy water condition it’s doable but I wouldn’t try it without at least 60 extra gallon of fuel lol
Cape Coral is on the west coast. The Gulf can get stirred up but it is typically not as bad as the Atlantic..... at least during the dry season. There are times it can be smooth as glass but usually the seas are 1.5 - 2 feet.

Marco would be an easy stop for gas on the way down the Keys and and back from Cape Coral. Not quite halfway but should be makable from either direction on a single fuel load.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
ac

Cape Coral is on the west coast. The Gulf can get stirred up but it is typically not as bad as the Atlantic..... at least during the dry season. There are times it can be smooth as glass but usually the seas are 1.5 - 2 feet.

Marco would be an easy stop for gas on the way down the Keys and and back from Cape Coral. Not quite halfway but should makable from either direction on a single fuel load.
Good luck bring Garmin in-reach just in case