• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Smell / Fuel in Bilge AR210 ***Fixed***

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After the purchase of my used 2007 AR210, I noticed a fuel (gas) smell on occasions. Mainly I would get whiffs of it around the floor storage/cooler when I would open it, and the head storage.

Also, on a couple occasions, I noticed what I believed to be possible fuel coming out of the rear drain when I pull the plug. This was after washing and spraying down the boat.

I checked and rechecked and never could narrow it down. I even messaged @itsdgm but he hadn't experienced the same thing. I eventually noticed a pattern. The smell got worse after fueling up. And if I had a full tank, that's the only time I noticed anything in the bilge water. I pulled the floor up to check the gas tank. I did notice some kind of moisture on the top of the tank, but believed it was from me washing it. Wasn't enough I could say was fuel. So I dumped a ton of Dawn and Simple Green in the bilge around the tank (just to be safe until I could figure it out). I lathered it up (spraying it) then flushed it out.

I was finally able to locate where the leak was. It was at the top of my port side fuel pump, in the top of my gas tank. While I had the floor raised, I had my son gassing up the boat at the gas station. While he was pumping gas, I was feeling around the connections on the top of the fuel tank. I felt the unmistakable feel of air rushing out of the top of the port side fuel pump. And of course the fuel smell. I also noticed a little bit of up and down movement with this fuel pump, where there was no movement on the starboard pump.

We stopped pumping fuel into it and took the boat home. I got some RTV and sealed the top of the fuel pump real good. I sealed the area where the air was rushing out. This has seemed to fix the problem and I haven't had any fuel in the bilge or the smell since.

Just wanted to pass along, in the event others have the smell, or find fuel in the bilge. Something to check.

@txav8r @Julian @Bruce feel free to add to FAQ.

20140414_191150.jpg 20140823_135440.jpg 20140823_135817_resized_1.jpg 20140823_140604.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ToddW850 glad that you located the source of the problem. I'm just wondering if you happened to check the fuel pump boots for tightness and/or if you inspected the gasket? Either way, glad you eliminated the source of the leak.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @itsdgm . I'm wanting to say there was no gasket on the port side pump, but there was one on the starboard. Which makes sense. That leaves me to believe some work was done on it at some point and it was not done correctly. Everything else I checked was tight.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great catch, that certainly was a dangerous situation!

I also a wanted to ask if the RTV you used is rated for exposure to gasoline?

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well CRAP guys! This never entered my mind. I don't remember the specifics on the RTV, except that it was heat resistant and is used for gear covers on axles and engines. It's meant to form a gasket. That's why I originally bought it, was to seal the axle cover on my Jeep axle. I hadn't used it yet when I found the gas leak, so I grabbed it and opened it.

But the reason I used this RTV stuff was because it seals oil and gear oil. I figured if it seals oil, then gas shouldn't be an issue. However, I didn't read it beyond that.

I will say this, I don't have the gas smell anymore. I also inspected my gas tank area last month and all looked well with the RTV seal. However, to be on the safe side, looks like I have a winter project. I will remove the RTV and install a new seal.

Thanks for the info.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry; I didn't mean to cause you grief. I came across another Permatex product that claims to be gasoline resistant:
https://www.permatex.com/products/uncategorized/permatex-motoseal-1-ultimate-gasket-maker-grey/

It was much more available than the first one I posted.

EDIT: Here is an article from Permatex's website:
https://www.permatex.com/faqwd/can-use-permatex-ultra-blue-rtv-seal-gas-gauge-sending-unit-gas-tank/

No need to apologize at all. I'm glad I'm getting this info, so I can fix it correctly. It's holding good for now, but I will need to replace this winter.