• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Full throttle - duty cycle - prudence of use?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, enjoying my sx230 so far so good. Top speed is a little lower than it should be, but that can wait until the end of the season. I suspect the pumps need to be re siliconed.

Anyway, how often and how long do you run WOT? I average 30to 60 seconds for every hour of operation, or less.... A bit of a chicken wanting to baby the boat and make it last all i can

Is this justified and helpful?

What's everyone else doing, conciously or not?

Thanks!!!

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
WOT as often and as long as I can... until finally my wife smacks me upside the head and yells "SLOW DOWN".... (holding her chest).... ;)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run very limited time at 10K, only because
1. it gets to bouncy/rough
2. burns to much fuel

I'm not worried at all about the internals of the engine being able to maintain it for any sustained amount of time.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I can't take what the boat would do to me wot on lake Michigan.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Scottintexas . No worries about the engine handling 10k rpm for extended periods but it burns A LOT of fuel up there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, enjoying my sx230 so far so good. Top speed is a little lower than it should be, but that can wait until the end of the season. I suspect the pumps need to be re siliconed.

Anyway, how often and how long do you run WOT? I average 30to 60 seconds for every hour of operation, or less.... A bit of a chicken wanting to baby the boat and make it last all i can

Is this justified and helpful?

What's everyone else doing, conciously or not?

Thanks!!!
I wouldn't worry about this at all. I know I don't. These are continuous duty rated engines - in other words, the engine was designed and rated for uninterrupted service at 100% full rated power for an unlimited number of hours per year.

EDIT: different story, but kind of the same - we have some NE fishermen friends who run commercially, many like two-stroker o/b - run those WOT for about 2,000 hours and then swap.

--