• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fusion IP600 Stereo Unit

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In follow up to my thread the other day, @jetboater4life told me about the Fusion IP600 with built-in class D amplifier allowing up to 70 watts per channel off the head unit itself. That may just be enough power to avoid me messing around with an amp. A couple of questions, as I know there is some familiarity with this deck here. I have searched around various websites, and somethings are just left "muddied".

1) With the version that contains the internal ipod dock, can it accept the 5S with lightning connector. Or for that matter, in a couple of months when the 6 is released, will it be able to accept that? The standard tray that comes with it, I do not believe it is possible, but it looks like you can get another tray that allows virtually any mobile device to be supported. I can't tell if this is a dock that "replaces" the existing internal dock or mounts separately from the head unit. Or for that matter, if it even works with the 600 or if you have to go to the 700?

2) With it containing a Class D amplifier, is the standard power that is already available at the helm supplying the existing stereo, enough to run this deck? or will a new power wire need to be ran? If so, what is the minimum gauge that would be necessary? I do have a Blue Seas switch that I intended to wire in at the helm and already have the switch and wire in my garage. The wire I have is 10/2 (as I was also going to run a clean ground up to the helm as well). I have a perfect pass to install also and although its probably for a different thread, I wondered about picking up a clean power source for the PP as well through the switch.

I would love to finish off this week and order this deck. I really like the looks of the color screen on the 700, but the additional zone control (4 zones versus 3 zones on the 600) really does nothing for me. And the 600 has a free bluetooth upgrade right now. If the internal dock is useless for anything outside the 29-pin apple connector, I may be better buying the DVD one or something and possible hook it up to a screen later???

1) No. I believe there is an optional stand alone iPhone 5 dock. I just use Bluetooth with the BT100 adapter.

2) Yes. I am running six 6x9s from my. IP 600. After some upholstery work I will be running 8 as 2 ohm loads to the head unit.

I am happy with the IP600 without an amp. Most people think I have a sub and an amp.

The IP700 does not support iPhone. 5 either .

If you get the Fusion IP700i (little "i" at the end) it will support an iDevice with a lightning cable connected to the external USB port.

I just use Bluetooth with the BT100 adapter.
For Bluetooth I would suggest the BT200 because it supports playback control with track/title/artist support. The BT100 is audio only and you have to control all playback function from the phone itself.

While this may be a fine HU, it isn't an amplifier of a comparable 70W class. The stock HU states it has 45Wx4, and I can tell you that when I power good speakers with 50W per channel only from a true Class D external amp, provided it is tuned correctly, it will provide many times the volume of a HU and crystal clear reproduction. The onboard power supply is very different than an external amplifier, and they don't compare, whether it is adequate for you or not...they just don't do the same thing nor respond the same way. But HU power may be sufficient for you.

True points, @txav8r but I think the initial point being made is that the Fusion internal amp is superior to other HU amps and may be sufficient for many people without an external amp.

Yes, I don't doubt that it is MUCH better than the stock HU @maboat , as it is almost double the output of similar rating criteria. Just pointing out that the rating criteria should be thrown out the window, because no way that external amplification of 50W per channel should blow away 70W per channel...but it does. Because they just are not rated using the same measuring stick. But I am pretty sure that the Fusion unit is FAR SUPERIOR to the JBL. @David Analog , any chance you could comment and explain the difference in onboard amplification vs a stand alone amplifier? It is confusing and all I know is they are not the same animal.

One other consideration, it is widely reported that phones overheat inside the units, and shut down. So having this feature is of little use really IMO from a purchase or comparison standpoint. It may be that some of these units have figured out how to cool the phone or at least not heat it with the heat of the HU. I like the idea of the BT, but my old iPod classic doesn't have BT, so if I do that, I have to use the phone or buy a new iPod touch. I may end up doing that anyway, my iPod has been locking up more frequently. Then again, my stock HU, which is brand new, won't turn off now unless the wired remote is unplugged.

I have to admit that I believe Mastercrafts philosophy on their new boat of providing an option with NO radio or speakers makes a lot of sense. It seems like almost everything they put in from the factory from an audio perspective is marginal at best. Why not save a couple of hundred dollars and put it towards a good deck and speakers. Based on @maboat note above, I think I am ordering the IP700i today with the BT-200. It's more than what I wanted to spend on the factory deck, but when you put things in perspective and realize the difference in cost is one tank of gas, at times I spend so much time trying to save money I know ultimately I cost myself more in time lost! I am buying it at AnchorExpress which I believe is one of the best online marine stores (no affiliation to me of anyway).

If I feel the power is inadequate later, it does have great outputs - although, for my needs, I would think it will be sufficient.

As far as 12V power... should i just use the existing power supply to the factory deck?

Yes, phones do heat up inside the unit. Phones are worse than iPods. If you use an iPhone inside the Fusion, I would strongly suggest turning OFF all the iPhone transmitters (Airplane Mode ON, WiFi OFF, Bluetooth OFF)

I use an iPod Nano inside the Fusion unit. It gets warm but doesn't overheat. I'm pretty sure it supports iPod Classic inside. The selling feature of mounting inside the unit is that it keeps the iDevice waterproof. Great for some boating scenarios, but not a big feature for most of us.

It also has an internal USB port so you could just copy all your MP3's to a flash drive and use that instead of an iDevice.

If i recall last season ( seems like a long time ago now), we ended up using Pandora more than anything else. And for the most part, I do not want to lose having my phone available should I want to make a call. I almost wish they would just leave a cavity so you could store your wallet or something else inside where it is safe and dry!

I think the flash drive loaded music is the way to go...if you don't have to build the name and title file for all of them! The unit certainly looks like a good one, with good "outs" as you said, along with zone control that is impressive. It just won't be anything near what 70W would be comparatively. Do you have the 600 or 700 @maboat ?

As long as your music files are already tagged (most are) then the Fusion will read and display them. And by the way...I have an internal flash drive AND an internal iPod mounted so there is lots of music on board. I can easily switch between them, even from the remotes. Not only that, but even with those two things inside the unit, I can access the music on my external iPhone via Bluetooth and I can switch and control all three sources from the remotes.

And if that's not enough, there is an app that lets me control all of it wirelessly from my iPhone. I have an old iPhone 3 that I carry in a waterproof case when I'm floating or standing outside the boat. I use it to turn volume up and down, skip tracks, or emergency MUTE when certain 'explicit' songs pop up and there are kids on the beach :shamefullyembarrased:

The internal amp is rated at 70w MAX. So it won't compare to a 70w RMS (around 150w max) external unit. Fusion doesn't say it, but probably safe to estimate its around 35w RMS. So its way way better than a standard 45w MAX head unit.

I have the IP700 (got it before the "i" version came out)
MS-IP_700_-HERO-SIDE_web_11-433x433.jpg

with NRX200 remotes
MS-NRX200_-remote-front_500_x_500-433x433.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that the 600 supports the new cable. When I first got mine it cracked the glass on a phone. We use an old ipod nano that stays in the boat.

I don't think that the 600 supports the new cable. When I first got mine it cracked the glass on a phone. We use an old ipod nano that stays in the boat.
NONE of the Fusion head units support a Lighting connector on the inside. But the new "i" units (700i) have an external USB port that will support an Lightning connection. I believe there is a new dock (uni-dock) that will support a Lightning connection as well, but this is external to the head unit.

Do you like the way you use it @maboat @scokill? Easy to use and move from one function to another? Can you adjust zones easily without having to stubble through it to find it, like on the JBL HU? And Mark, did you try it without the amps behind it when you first installed it or did it go right into the mix?

I love using it. Its super easy. At least for the most-used functions (zone volume, song/track/playlist selection, play/pause/skip). It does take a little bit of work on initial setup because it does so much. But after its configured the way you want, daily use is a breeze.

Since I already had my amps in place from a previous head unit, I just swapped this in with my existing external amps. I have not yet tried using the internal amp yet (need more speakers).

The internal amp is light years better than jbl. I got it hoping to get away with my 5 channel amp for tower and sub. I don't regret it.

The zones are a breeze as is playback. I use the aux cable for pandorA as I god rid of Sirius. The old iPod is perfect an fits in its own little tray and stays plugged in. Sorry for choppy sentences as I'm on plane.

I have been tied up all day. As @scokill said the amplifier in the Fusion HU is impressive. I bought mine with plans to add an amp then decided it was enough on its own. Changing zone volume is simple from the HU or the remote.

The BT200 is not compatible with the IP600.

The IP600 is the best built and most powerful HU that I have ever seen.

Back