• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fusion IP600 Stereo Unit

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have my IP700 in a box and ready to go... in regards to the power source. Because it has an internal Class D amplifier, is there any value (or need) in running a heavier guage power wire to the helm to power the unit? I was going to run a 10 awg there for a couple of other items, and if it should be done for the fusion head unit, I will go ahead and do that now as well. Otherwise, I will just swap the existing power wires from the factory head unit.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used the factory wires without any problem

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If it were a true 70X4 channel class D amp, the factory wires would have melted by now. It isn't apparently and I am guessing the stock wiring harness is ok...but if I were installing it, I would read the manual and use what is recommended for power and ground. I wish they wouldn't advertise stuff the way they do, it just adds to the confusion.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r the 70 watt rating is the maximum output rating and includes the capacity of the capacitors. The IP600 uses a 15 amp fuse which would be somewhere around 200 watts total. That is plenty to support the 43 watts per channel RMS rating. The factory wiring is more than sufficient to handle 15 amps over such a short distance.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yep, that is what I was saying. But as you read, @Jump Right In , the way they market this stuff @Bruce , it leads guys to think it has an amplifier like one they might add. It doesn't, it is similar to other stereo head units and just has internal power, as you said, about 43 watts per channel. Now it is a nice HU, just like a good Sony, Alpine, or others (way nicer than the stock JBL), but the marketing is what I was taking a shot at. I might one day have this very unit! But it is just a good HU, not a powered amp.

I am not sure that is such a short distance @Bruce , the wiring that runs that head unit ultimately comes from the ACC fuse, about 18' away (with all the wire loom routing). But I think your still ok on the factory harness.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is similar to other stereo head units and just has internal power, as you said, about 43 watts per channel.
Its not marketed differently than other head units. JBL, SONY, etc,. all advertise MAX power in their marketing. Fusion is marketing the same way.

JBL = 45 watts Max
SONY = 52 watts Max
FUSION = 70 watts Max

The Fusion unit DOES have more power than other marine head units. The internal Fusion amp is definitely a step up from other internal head units alone and that may be enough of an upgrade for some people. That said, its still not enough for me, and I use all external amplification with the internal Fusion amp turned off.

Last edited:

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They do advertise it as Class D technology, but not necessarily containing an AMP.... kind of "interesting" wording.Fusion ip700i.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, all you electronics guys read through the hype. Most lay people see it as an "amp". But you and others have certainly educated me to read between the lines and look at all the specs. Like I said, it sounds like ago is unit for many reasons.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Calling me an electronics guy is a bit of a stretch. About 18 years ago I was quite into "audio" and although I still like AV, my knowledge in the technicals is very limited. Given the way Fusion has written it, I would have to presume it has an internal Class D amp, but would have to conclude it is just a very small one.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, all you electronics guys read through the hype. Most lay people see it as an "amp". But you and others have certainly educated me to read between the lines and look at all the specs. Like I said, it sounds like ago is unit for many reasons.
The Fusion head units do contain amplifier circuitry as do all amplified head units. The amplifier circuit in the Fusion head units produces more wattage than any other marine amplifier that I am aware of. It is less powerful than most stand alone amplifiers. But I have not seen any reason to suggest that it is not properly rated. In my experience if anything, it performs beyond its claims.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I figured I should update this thread. I installed the Fusion IP700i into my 212X last week with a new Infinity 612M speakers. Although I certainly would not expect (nor should it) sound like a several thousand dollar stereo, I can say that it sounds a million times better than the factory unit. The bluetooth module works as promised and I would highly recommend this deck to anyone. It is so simple to operate, it really makes someone question the engineering department at other audio companies.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Resurrecting an old thread...

@Bruce or anyone else with the Fusion IP600 head unit.

How did you guys wire the new unit? I would like to use the existing power supply like others have done and would like to prevent any splicing. Below is a picture of the stock head connector and a picture of the Fusion connector.

Does anyone know the brand of the connector on the Fusion? I would like to get the female equivalent.

Thanks
Mike

Stock
Stock HU.jpg

Fusion
Fusion HU.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@96Pirate, I cut the connector off of the factory stereo and cut the connector off of the IP600 then sat them on my workbench and soldered and shrink tubed the wires together. It probably took 10 minutes and it was ready to plug into the factory harness.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So you spliced the fusion connector onto the Yamaha harness? I need a better visual. Depending on what your running, amp for example. You won't use the factory connection for the entire boat speaker wiring harness from the connector. And your not going to run it from the fusion either if you have an amp. Your going to run RCA's from the HU to the amp. But I used the factory speaker wires, I just cut and extended (soldered and heat shrink) them so they would connect to the amp. That takes 4 wires out of the equation right there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you spliced the fusion connector onto the Yamaha harness?
Yes, the male end of the factory harness is now connected to the Fusion head unit. I am not using an amp so this works well for me. If I was using a separate amplifier and the factory speaker wires I likely would have added another connector for the speakers.

image.jpeg

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@96Pirate I will have the same issue once I get the mounting plate in. Right now my boat is at collins marine in Smithfield for the new trailer.... that came in wrong. They are ordering the correct trailer and said they would make it right. .. I was looking forward to using these 70 degree days coming up to finish the led speaker rings and speaker install.. guess not.

Last edited:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce That is probably the simplest route. The connectors make it easier for removal but then why would I want to.

@txav8r I will be connecting an amp but not sure how I am doing it yet. The IP600 only has 1 line out. So I would need to use a high to low level adaptor if I wanted to hook up the other zones to the amp. I guess I am leaning towards doing as Bruce did with the exception on the speaker wires. I will either wire them directly to the transom speakers or to the amp through the adaptor.

@bronze_10 Let me know what you decide. I'd like to hear other options.

Thanks
Mike

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I cut off the factory connector leaving enough room to reconnect them if I wanted or needed to for some reason and then spliced in the Fusion plugs wire for wire. Works great and looks good too. I didn't take any pics but it was a simple swap.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I will not need to cut the Fusion connector off after all. I found these guys in my bag of stuff (not sure how I missed them earlier).

IMG_20160306_164906902.jpg

So I will probably cut out the old connector on the boat side and splice the other ends into these. That way everything would be hardwired up to these connectors and I can remove the HU if needed.

Now I just need to decide which way to connect the speakers.

I also tested the head unit with one of my new Polk MM651UM and the 1 speaker sounded great :)

Mike

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is correct. That's the way I wired mine.