• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fusion Software update

Wartowne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For a 2018 242 e-series with the Fusion head unit, can it’s software be updated from the USB port on the helm console or the two USB ports on the back of the Connexts console? ...or would you need to remove the head unit and access the USB port on the back?

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You should be able to update it through the USB on the helm console, since it is plugged into the back of the head unit using a USB passive extender in the harness. The USBs on the back of the Connext screen will not work at all for this purpose.

Wartowne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So far, no joy on any of those.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just tried updating the Fusion RA70N from revision 1.1.46 to revision 1.1.53. It did not work for me either. My guess is that there is something wrong with the update file itself or they or forgetting a key bit of information in their update instructions. Every time I try updating, it tells me that it is an invalid file. I have tried several things to rule out simple mistakes and still no luck. If I get time, I will contact Fusion.

*Update* I did not have to contact Fusion. I had only tried updating it through the helm USB, which I was very confident that it would work this way. I decided to go back out to the boat to try it from the back of the head unit. I discovered that the USB was unplugged from the back of the head unit. I plugged it back in to the radio and tried it again from the helm USB. This time it worked. If your USB is still not working, I would suggest that the way you extracted it might have made a wrong path for the file. Make sure that the "update" folder is in the root of your USB stick. This is how Fusion says to extract it. Sometimes extraction utilities try to add another folder named after the zip file name. If it still does not work try moving the file itself to the root of the USB stick. My USB stick was actually set up with all three options from my previous trials. Let us know which works for you.

Last edited:

Wartowne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great update! This worked for me ! Ironically, the head unit update is to resolve issues with updating.

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did this update today, I hope it's easier for the rest of you than it was for me.

Tried the USB port on the helm, USB stick wasn't seen by the RA70N. USB port just seemed to be dead.
Found the connection to the USB extension cable under the helm, unplugged the helm connector, it was barely connected. It looks like the female end of the extension is defective. Tried plugging my cell phone in to it and the charging indicator cycled on and off. Bad connection. Great.:banghead:
The USB extension cable is a Monoprice branded one by the way. If you peek under the heat shrink wrap on the connector it's branded.

Moved back to the swim platform, took the headunit out. I think they must have hammered it in, had to use an automotive trim tool to pry it out.
USB cable was connected, disconnected it.
Plugged my memory stick in there, still wouldn't update.
If you get a message when you plug the usb stick in for 5 seconds that says something like unsupported USB this is the problem.
Got a different stick, formatted fat32, extracted the firmware zip file so that only the "Update" folder was on the stick.
No error on this one. Tried to update again from the back of the headunit, it worked, and updated system, ui, and nrx items together.

The helm will start beeping with an error that the headunit is disconnected while the update runs. This is apparently normal.
Make sure your batteries are charged before you do this.

The Fusion app on my phone would not connect until I did the update. It works now.

Update link: https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units/ms-ra70n/support/updates

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
explain the benefits of the update to me please? seems a bit of a hassle if it is not vital (or really cool...)

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
explain the benefits of the update to me please? seems a bit of a hassle if it is not vital (or really cool...)
It shouldn't really be a hassle. Mine was a pain because the helm USB port doesn't work, and the memory stick I tried first wasn't compatible. The update takes maybe 2 minutes to complete.

Software updates add features, increase stability, and for me allowed the Fusion app to work.